ABS/ESC lights

Pitcard

I got a 2014 Journey SE(v4 2.4L) on Monday with 27,000km on it. I test drove it no problem on the hwy and in town. After I picked it up from the dealership I decided to travel out of town about 20 minutes to show a friend. While on the hwy, the ESC and ABS lights simultaneously came on in the dash. They went off the next day. Yesterday it happened again, and today they went back off. It's worth mentioning that both times the car passed through dust before the indicators went on, and I don't notice a difference in the brake performance whether the lights are on or off.

I've read the manual and all I can deduct is that the ABS might need servicing. This is my first Journey

however and before I get annoyed at the dealership I wanted to know if it might be something smaller.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I don't remember ever seeing a post about this sort of problem on the board, So it isn't all that common an issue.

The recall has to do with potential water infiltration to the control module through the spaces between the wires - the preventative fix is to inject caulking/sealant into the wire bundle - if the control module has been affected they will replace the module. If you bought your '14 as a new leftover the likelihood of this being the problem is remote. If it is used, then, of course it could be anything.

Dust SHOULD have nothing to do with this because the sensors are not optical, but rather magnetic.

Contact the dealer, make a appointment and bring it in.

The recall isn't in Canada as far as I know. I read about it and then contacted my dealer, they said they couldn't find any info about it (lol).

I did end up taking it in for this issue and after 'Extensive road testing' they told me it could possibly be a battery issue and to bring it back when the code comes back on.

Considering I just received another recall about the engine beauty cover I'll just wait until the recall is issued for Canada and get it all fixed at once.

• 3 months later...

Been awhile since I posted, have an update on the situation. Got the recall of course and made an appointment.

Initially they had clamped, sealed and heated one of the hoses which did not work. Second time around they ordered parts to replace the ABS. Third time around, they had to order additional parts but assured me it was safe to drive.

Fast forward to the 4th appointment, which was today. After dropping the car off and taking a shuttle home I got a call from service to inform me that they hadn't realized how big a job it was as the techs would need to do a 'pretty comprehensive bleeding' of it's lines.

Since I need a car for work in the morning, I'll be taking it in for the day on Saturday. Hopefully for the last time.

Been awhile since I posted, have an update on the situation. Got the recall of course and made an appointment.

Initially they had clamped, sealed and heated one of the hoses which did not work. Second time around they ordered parts to replace the ABS. Third time around, they had to order additional parts but assured me it was safe to drive.

Fast forward to the 4th appointment, which was today. After dropping the car off and taking a shuttle home I got a call from service to inform me that they hadn't realized how big a job it was as the techs would need to do a 'pretty comprehensive bleeding' of it's lines.

Since I need a car for work in the morning, I'll be taking it in for the day on Saturday. Hopefully for the last time.

Good luck!!

Just got it back from the dealership. Lights are off for now, but the brakes are extremely soft, to the point where the peddle touches the carpet. Is this something that I should be calling back about? They felt great prior, like brand new. Almost went out into the main road from the dealership because of it, was not expecting that.

i would have went right back in and told the sales personal that i wanted to talk to the head guy and i would have been talking in a very loud and authoritative voice so all could hear,sometimes the squeaky wheel gets attention quicker that way....

In hindsight, I definitely should have turned back. Honestly I wasn't sure if it was a typical effect of the procedure they had just done. Should have figured though, that's just me being an idiot as usual.

They must really like me at this dealership, to be doing all this free work! If they do try to give me the run around about it and try to charge me for whatever reason, any suggestions on what course of action I should take? Not exactly a fan of throwing a fit in public.

Would they be liable if I were to get I to an accident? What's the deal there?

well you have 3yr and ? km. in the U.S. its 3 yr and 36k miles maybe you are still in warranty if they are doing work for free. you might have a 30 day warranty since you bought it used from them... find out what you have and take advantage of it......

Edited by 2late4u

• 2 months later...

I've had this issue on my 2011 journey. It happened shortly receiving the dreaded battery indication. My question is; will a loss of power cause the lights and shifting issues. I suspect my alternator may be going out but I want to do some diagnosing before I pay a mechanic a small fortune to do so.