Renewing License plate stickers

rolly

Well it's that time again. I had to renew my license plate stickers and I hated the thought of standing in that long line up. It doesn't matter what time of day or which day of the week, it always turns into terrible experience. As I get older and closer to my expiry date I try to avoid spending it in this way. I decided this time to do something different. I went to the Service Ontario site and did it online. All it took was ten minutes and they mailed my stickers right to my home within the week. For those of you who haven't tried it yet, I highly recommend it. Do they have this option in other Provinces or States or countries?

Yep, do mine online all the time. As long as your driving record is clean, you can even renew your driver's license online too. I can't remember the last time I actually went to their location to do any of that stuff.

Edited by Lvcoyote

Indiana has done this for ages. We still had to go to the BMV for specialty plates, such as a college because the college had to send you a form saying that you were eligible for the plate. No more letters, so these can be done online also. The first time you get a military plate, you do have to go to the BMV with a DD214 (military discharge paper). After the first time, you can renew online. Driver licenses renewed too. I just don't like the idea of paying $316 for a tiny sticker. In Indiana, the sticker is imprinted with the plate number; so, no cheating!

In Indiana, your tags are based on the value of your vehicle. The State sets the value. So, each year, the costs go down. And, the Lottery Money pays half. So if it weren't for the Lottery, I would have paid $632 for my tiny little sticker! Each State sets their own rules. When I was going to College in Massachusetts, your plates were $77 per $1,000 your car was valued at. But, I think that they were 2 year plates.

Has anyone had the corner of their tag that has the sticker on it cut off? I haven't but have heard of it. (Apparently theives cut it off & fix it on their own tag, so that theirs appears to have been registered.)

Ohio also does have the plate number printed on the sticker, but it is so small that a person would have to be right down there to read it. I have sometimes gone the whole year w/o putting the sticker on the tag, just keeping it in the glove box, but I don't know what an officer would say, if I were stopped for not having it on the tag.

A friend of mine was selling his mothers car after she passed away and he let me take it home over the weekend to test drive it. I got stopped by the police because he noticed the license plate sticker had expired. I explained that I was thinking about buying it and when I checked the glove box for the ownership, I found the license sticker. She had bought the sticker but hadn't put it on. The police officer told me that he could have given me a ticket, but under the circumstances he let it go. So I guess it depends on the officer.

Edited by rolly

So you're paying $316? Is that 1 or 2 years? $77.00 per $1,000 even for 2 years is mucho dineros!

I have to renew every year in Indiana - 1 year plates. The month is determined by the first 2 letters of your last name. For me, Ha = 5/21

Every year in NC. Based on the month the car is registered. Here they tie property tax into the renewal. So, if you don't pay your property taxes, you can't renew your license. The actual costs vary depending on the appraised value of the car, truck, RV, etc. For the DJ, the firt year we bought it, it was over $300 (U.S.) to get the car renewed, my truck, on the other hand, costs about $50 to renew because it's old and not worth much.

In Maryland, private vehicles are registered for 2 years with registration fees based on shipped curb weight (the cutoff is 3,700 pounds). Under that number, it's $135. Over that number, it's $187. New stickers are printed with the license plate number embedded in the sticker. The registration is also printed on the same page, so it's all done at once. The month portion of the registration is determined by when the vehicle was first registered in the state. These can be purchased online.

Oh, and if you want to move here from out of state, you have to title and register your vehicle with the Maryland DMV. And then you get to pay the state more. Kind of a disincentive to ever move here if you ask me. But we've recently elected a governor who just signed a law allowing Tesla to sell vehicles directly to consumers without using a 3rd party dealership, so maybe he can get some of our ridiculous anti-business and anti-new-resident laws and regulations fixed.

Lord I lived in Md for about 10 years. One thing that is almost impossible to do is register a car from another state. The inspection laws are ridiculouosly rigid. (they were then anyway). I understand once it is inspected, you dont have to have them done again, but geesh what a racket. They ALWAYS find something to adjust or needs to be fixed (headliight aiming was something they always got you on). I had a car fail because my speedometer wiggled a little bit when it got to 55 mph.

Lord I lived in Md for about 10 years. One thing that is almost impossible to do is register a car from another state. The inspection laws are ridiculouosly rigid. (they were then anyway). I understand once it is inspected, you dont have to have them done again, but geesh what a racket. They ALWAYS find something to adjust or needs to be fixed (headliight aiming was something they always got you on). I had a car fail because my speedometer wiggled a little bit when it got to 55 mph.

Well, if they measure headlight aim without a full tank of gas, the aim is not correct anyway. Taking it with half a tank and checking the aim points will have them too low (tail rising due to lack of weight).

And yes, there are some ridiculous aspects of this state. But we make up for it with steamed crabs and good football. Real football - not that fake Canadian stuff (though we have one of your Grey Cup championships anyway.) -this portion aimed at our northern neighbors

Edited by bfurth

Yes, every state has big cities that have bad areas. The south is not immune either. I lived in western Md. Very pretty country. Mostly farming when we lived there. It was just my 30 mile commute to Arlington, VA. every day, that was a killer commute. Sometimes took as long as 2-1/2 to 3 hours to get home in the afternoon. Had to get away from that rat race. Only went to Baltimore a couple of times, inner harbor has some really good seafood restaurants.