Spare Tire Shields

lytefall

What is the purpose of the silver metal shields around the spare tire? I always assumed it was a heat shield. Had my DJ in to replace a sensor in the gas tank and when I got it back the right side shield was just hanging down. Took it back in to have it put back on properly and they just removed it completely and said it isn't necessary and that I was missing the left one anyway (which I don't ever remember seeing one on the left).

Thoughts? Opinions? I would assume if they were completely unnecessary Dodge wouldn't waste the time/money installing them in the first place?

I would have raised hell with them. It is indeed a heat shield from the exhaust. A melted spare tire from the exhaust doesn't really do any good when you need it ;). Go back and make them put that crap back on! There should be a heat shield on both sides of the spare tire (if you have the V6 dual exhaust).

Edited by onecrazyfoo4u

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the late replies. Life got busy.

This was a Dodge dealership.

Shield was never replaced. Dealership said they contacted Dodge and Dodge stated they were not necessary equipment but only designed as a worst case scenario type of preventative feature. I have never been given any reason to distrust the service manager telling me this, so there you go. I had them document my concerns and provide me with a copy and was assured that if anything ever goes wrong related to this it will be covered by the dealership (which they also included on my file and the copy they supplied me).

Edited by lytefall

They lied to you. Dodge installed those shields to prevent heat from the mufflers degrading the rubber of the spare tire over tens of thousands of miles. By removing those shields, they're jeopardizing that spare tires ability to safely get you from the side of the road to a repair facility in the event of a flat, and by extension your safety. They need to reinstall those shields, yesterday, and they need to be reported to FCA, US corporate. That "worst case scenario" is the spare tire blowing out on you and causing an accident, because it was badly degrade from being exposed to the head of the muffler. Ask yourself, would you remove the other heat shields over the other exhaust components, put there to prevent other parts of the car from being damaged by that heat? I hope not.

Car manufacturers install nothing that they don't absolutely have to. If it was there and if it wasn't an option, then it is a necessity. And in any case, ought to have been re-installed - and if your warranty had expired, then al the more reason for them not to mess with you since you are the customer paying the bills - if it WAS under warranty then they are ripping you and FCA off. I would tell them to re-install the one they removed at their expense and to install the one that was already missing, at your expense if beyond the warranty when they did the original work, at THEIR expense if you were still covered.

And if someone at FCA told them that it wasn't required, then they need to come up with the name of the person that told them that and provide it in writing . . . . . then file a formal complaint.

Remember when we would simply remove the rattling heat shields around the catalytic converters , because the spot welds rusted apart ? ( Guilty as charged on two rear wheel drive vehicles ) I know being closer to the motor meant more heat than this location( spare tire ) but, those floor panels got pretty warm on the feet when car was not moving. I agree, they were not installed as a decoration.