$70 Autozone SRI (w/ pictures)

s4in7

Didn't feel like spending $150+ on a brand name intake, but was very curious what, if anything, one would do for my 2015 DJ R/T. Haven't installed it yet (raining in San Antonio) so I just assembled and photographed it to show yous guys.

I measured the stock intake tract from the bend behind the engine to the airbox and got parts at Autozone to match the length. The cone filter SHOULD sit squarely in the bottom part of the stock airbox (with the air snorkel still attached to get fresh air to the cone filter). I'll let y'all know my impressions after I install it!

post-11077-0-73492000-1429730804_thumb.j

post-11077-0-20273400-1429730819_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah, they are under water. Maybe they will find Atlantis. If he does mount it, it will have to go up through the hood so he doesn't suck any water into the engine.

Edited by dhh3

Definetly keep us posted on how this works out. I have a 2014 and Want to put an intake on it. Can't find anything that works. K&N or other. People tell me other vehicle brands may work but I haven't seen any proof on here that it will work with a 2014.

Check my gallery, I have a K&N that I took off of my Avenger that fits nicely

I have thought about building something for my Wife's 2.4L Journey, just to see how much, if any, it would help the little motor move the big car, I built one for my 98 Dodgle Dakota 2.5L years ago that seemed to make a small difference, has anyone else seen one done or thought about it themselves?

There are some on here who have made their own. Not that difficult if you have done it before. Any gains you "think" you notice are simply the plecebo effect. As stated, the stock air intake is truly cold air already as it takes air from in front of the car at the leading edge of the hood. Installing a short ram (thats what it would end up being) would just suck hot ait from the engine bay, unless you can pipe it outside the engine compartment somehow, but then it would have so many elbows it would negate any benefit.

There is likely a silencer in the air path that could be removed to give it more sound... take it apart and look around. removing any baffles you find will likely achieve your goal.

Changing the filter might change the sound too? Sorry, never worked around an intake.

Changing the filter might change the sound too? Sorry, never worked around an intake.

leaving everything stock and changing the filter won't do anything... The stock air path is designed to minimize noise. Outside of changing that path or adding a short ram intake, there isn't much that I'm aware of that will change the sound.

leaving everything stock and changing the filter won't do anything... The stock air path is designed to minimize noise. Outside of changing that path or adding a short ram intake, there isn't much that I'm aware of that will change the sound.

Even doing so, with the variable intake runners on these cars, you will only hear the "whoosh" sound of a short ram/CAI at wide open throttle.

Hell, if you're going to all that trouble, fabricate a shaker hood scoop.

Transverse shaker... now there;s something I'd enjoy seeing.

I may some day get bored and replace the factory intake plumbing with bits from Home Depot, and replace the flat air filter with a cone.

I must stress the word "bored". My 300M Special is keeping me busy... now she's asking for rocker assemblies after I gave her a remanufactured transaxle... while I do various and sundry mods (interior ambient lighting, custom rear buckets, custom rear console, plastidip ground effects...). So... 2030 perhaps.