2011 Journey - Do I give it back or keep it?

Draver17

Hey guys

I have a 2011 Journey CREW. I must say I like it a lot but have had some issues with it as well.

Before 60,000kms I replaced 2 shocks, all 4 brakes, trunk door lock, repaired gear shift 3 times, air filter/smell issues, rear camera calibration, and a few other minor issues.

I currently have 93,000 kms and have a clause in my financing that I can return it at 4 years (this April) with no strings. I took it on a 6 year.

I am afraid for the long-term reliability and if it will cost me money in the long run. Do I keep it and risk having to put money into it or do I give it back now and get something else (i.e. Honda, Hyundai, Ford, etc.)?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

It is not worth Not $8K in trade up here. He doesn't have that much now given the mileage - at 200K he'll have nothing.

Now, he will find a private buyer for more money - but not as a trade with almost 100K on it.

This is not about value, but reliability. And with expensive electronics and no extended warranty there is some doubt about the financial viability of hanging on to the unit, which is why the question is being asked. I've not run one beyond 60K (I rust-proofed mine and babied it, but even so, if you are taking it past about 160K, with all those electronics and our bad roads you have to wonder).

Given your situation, I wonder whether you shouldn't be shooting for a trade if you can negotiate a great deal (it's why I went from a 2011 SE Plus to a Crossroad in December) - The dealer did everything he could to get me to switch and in the end made it so sweet a deal that I simply could not resist. In part because they don't sell many 5 passenger Journeys and this one was an albatross around their neck . . . . and I in no way wanted that 3rd row of seats, needing the storage.

This time around buy the 7/160 bumper to bumper warranty.

no its not wore out, on your next vech. i would rec buying a extended warranty as cars are getting so complicated and expensive to fix and since you know you drive more than the normal person. i was in your situation just last yr except i wasn't having any real problems with my 2011 mainstreet with 70k but traded it in for my 2014 crossroad but before i hit 12k in just 8 months i bought a lifetime max oem warranty unlimited yrs and milage and only cost about 2200 $$ with a 100 deductible per visit. if i had bought it on my mainstreet i would have kept it... check out the forums on this site about where to buy online for half the price you would pay at the dealership.. good luck on your decision

no its not wore out, on your next vech. i would rec buying a extended warranty as cars are getting so complicated and expensive to fix and since you know you drive more than the normal person. i was in your situation just last yr except i wasn't having any real problems with my 2011 mainstreet with 70k but traded it in for my 2014 crossroad but before i hit 12k in just 8 months i bought a lifetime max oem warranty unlimited yrs and milage and only cost about 2200 $$ with a 100 deductible per visit. if i had bought it on my mainstreet i would have kept it... check out the forums on this site about where to buy online for half the price you would pay at the dealership.. good luck on your decision

92,000 kilometer is roughly 57,000 miles. That's not a lot of miles and far from "worn out"...

• 5 months later...

Hey guys

I have a 2011 Journey CREW. I must say I like it a lot but have had some issues with it as well.

Before 60,000kms I replaced 2 shocks, all 4 brakes, trunk door lock, repaired gear shift 3 times, air filter/smell issues, rear camera calibration, and a few other minor issues.

I currently have 93,000 kms and have a clause in my financing that I can return it at 4 years (this April) with no strings. I took it on a 6 year.

I am afraid for the long-term reliability and if it will cost me money in the long run. Do I keep it and risk having to put money into it or do I give it back now and get something else (i.e. Honda, Hyundai, Ford, etc.)?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

i would give it back and go with honda or toyota more realiable i have a 2014 dodge jouney 3.6 with 12000km only bought it brand new i've been to the dealership repair shop more than i enjoy my car if i can turn back time i wouldnt by my dodge journey HUGE MISTAKE!

i would give it back and go with honda or toyota more realiable i have a 2014 dodge jouney 3.6 with 12000km only bought it brand new i've been to the dealership repair shop more than i enjoy my car if i can turn back time i wouldnt by my dodge journey HUGE MISTAKE!

It sounds more like you need to find a better dealer, than to be preaching about changing vehicles.

In one year, I have only been to my Dealer for oil changes, tire rotation and updates. I have always bought Mopar, and only had an issue with one: a 2006 Jeep Commander with Quadra Drive II. The casting for the Front Differential was bad, but they didn't realize that until after they rebuilt the Front Differential, put in a new Transfer Case, removed the Rear Differential for inspection, removed the Transmission, completely tore it apart and rebuilt the Transmission. After two weeks of driving, a day or two at each interval, the new gears in the Front Differential were all chewed up. They finally saw the bad casting and replaced the Front Differential. All for $100.00 on my extended warranty. After each "fix", I'd get it back for a day or two, and bring it back because it was still making "The Noise"! For two months, they had more than I did. I'd get a free rental each time I dropped it off, because they had no idea how long they would need to fix it. The Second Shift Service Manager lost his job over this.

Yes!! Hondas and toyotas never have problems!!!

Yeah, those Hondas and Toyotas are superior vehicles and NEVER have any issues; good call. Maybe your DJ was trying to read your posts and got confused by all of the misspelled words and lack of punctuation? It likely caused it to have a mental breakdown and give up on life....

Or maybe your service department sucks... Mine has been a joy to own.