Which Garmin?

Never had a Garmin. I know I need one. When I did a mapquest to get to the dealership, it showed I had 28 more exits to go, when in fact I didn't.

So any special features? Size; 5", 6", 7"? Traffic updates? Phantom alert? Dash mount? All I know is I want lifetime maps, and since others have had good luck with the outlet, I figured I'd get one from there since they are on sale, just don't know which one??? Any features I don't need?

Remember; I don't do much driving, I will need it for house hunting next year, under $200 would be nice, she'll be kept in the seat storage when not in use, thanks for your help!

Well I own the nuvi50 which included lifetime map updates. This is my third one in total, bigger screens and the lifetime map updates were the reason for updated units. Mine is a 5" screen and also has the voice for turn by turn assist as well as the realistic view of your exits etc... Overall they probably work the same, adding a micro sd memory card is great for the eventual increased file size of updated maps. Compare friends GPS units to see where and how the different sized units will fit and look in your vehicle. Also, be sure to check out the different mounting options.

Most important I think is the free lifetime map updates and the screen size.

Large screens are nice, but will block your view - I have a higher end Garmin 3490LMT. It has a 4.3" display unit (considered the minimum size for these devices) that I found was the biggest unit that could be located at the ideal place; stuck to the windshield above the rear view mirror. This on my old SE Plus.

I hid the power wiring by running it above the headliner and down the right side pillar and made the connection at the fuse block that is behind the glove box - it was great - you couldn't see the unit from outside the vehicle and it was very readable - the voice command worked well, so if I felt lazy I never needed to touch the thing. It also served as my phone's Bluetooth device, since that vehicle didn't have the feature.

But as I discovered when I took delivery of my Crossroad a couple of weeks ago, if you have the Sirius radio and dimming mirror there is no room up there - so for the moment, my unit is suctioned to the plastic above the radio to the right side of that assembly and it is plugged into the power socket in the stack.

I have been considering my options. Among them are that I might leave it where it is; hang it from a vent or I may just install it in the overhead sunglasses holder. I also may just look for an RE2N radio and get rid of the stand-alone altogether.

Thank you, I'm going to try and place something on the dash to see how much of my view will be obstructed. Other than that, lifetime updates is a feature I'll go with, along with the Phantom alert. Phantom alert tells you all the speed cameras, red light cameras, almost works like a radar detector. I guess I'll look to see what Best Buy is offering, other than that, I'll take a referb from the online outlet.

With all the free map apps available nowadays for phones, I figured those type gps's would go out of style. Guess some folks still use them. I had one a long time ago, and all I remember was constantly having to pay to get maps updated.

Edited by jkeaton

Map updates are free these days - and phones do not like to be kept lit up and charging all the time - and on many phones using the phone will suspend the navigation - so you could miss a turn or a warning. Spending a hundred and fifty bucks for a dedicated device that will last 5 years and doesn't use your data plan isn't a bad thing.

Navigators have databases of speed and red light cams by the way and many have traffic receivers as well as Bluetooth support.

LOL bramfrank, You've given me too much credit. I don't own a fancy phone, never will. The only thing I would use it for would be to scan my lottery tickets for winners. In fact I may be the only person peeved that had to pay for a Uconnect in my DJ that won't be used.

But, looking on the website, not all Gamins come with lifetime maps and traffic updates?

I own an iPhone5s and use it for Nav. The USB in the console also charges the device plugged.into it. One I add my whereto address, the phone stays on all of the time, until I get there, and is constantly being charged. Siri gives me directions through the car's speakers, dimming the sound so I can hear her. I was going to buy another Garmin, but my phone works just as good and map updates are free.

I have a nuvi with lifetime maps & traffic. Look for a unit that ends with LMT, that's tells you you get free upgrades 4 times a year on the maps. Other then that, get one you like! I don't stick mine to the windshield, I purchased a weighted " bean bag" mount which works fantastic. I place it on the dash where the pop up storage unit is and plug it in one of the power ports. Never moves and doesn't leave the round "I've got a gps in the car" mark on the windshield!

I looked at Garmins at Target today, any of the sizes will do. Lifetime updates, I'll spring for Phantom Alert, and maybe get the beanbag accessory? I don't use a phone enough to warrant a fancy phone. If you call and I miss you, because I'm not glued to the phone, I may call back in 3 days. My brother offered me an iPhone years ago, even was going to put me on his plan. nahhh I'm too old for someone to be paying my way, let alone who knows when I'd be without service. My car salesman said he pays $300 a month, he's got his mom on his plan, and not sure if he said anyone else, my head couldn't stop spinning, that's INSANE! I actually have 2 cheap phones, one number has no voice mail, the other one does, made it easy when car shopping, dealers got the non-voice mail one, and I still don't spend $300 a year on 2 cheapies.

• 3 weeks later...

I would recomend using your mobilephone running the free app: Waze

All roads in the world, live update, live traffic rerouting, live police controlls

and its free.

I used to use this, but it is too interactive for me... I found myself touching the screen a lot while I was driving. Very illegal and not all that safe...

I used to use this, but it is too interactive for me... I found myself touching the screen a lot while I was driving. Very illegal and not all that safe...

True. I like it though cause it shows road hazards, hiddeN police and other things normal GPS wont show you. When I first started using it, every time I would touch it it would pop a warning up saying "whoa, are you the driver" kinda thing and I would have to tell it I was the passenger so I could do things. I guess they tried to make it safe. Mostly I like the custom voices you can choose. Ever want a laugh, choose Elvis as the voice...."a-turn left, baby and then, a-turn right".. LMAO!...

Edited by jkeaton

True. I like it though cause it shows road hazards, hiddeN police and other things normal GPS wont show you. When I first started using it, every time I would touch it it would pop a warning up saying "whoa, are you the driver" kinda thing and I would have to tell it I was the passenger so I could do things. I guess they tried to make it safe. Mostly I like the custom voices you can choose. Ever want a laugh, choose Elvis as the voice...."a-turn left, baby and then, a-turn right".. LMAO!...

Ha! Maybe I'll give it another try... Just for the voices though.