The SD slot is directly above the CD slot. I bought an SD card at Best Buy, loaded all my music on it, pluged it in, but no artwork displayed. This is when I found out that once Album Art work is loaded on an Apple product, in my case iTunes, the file becomes a proprietary file belonging to Apple, and will copy only to another Apple Product. So, I erased the SD card, and brought it back to Best Buy. I contemplated buying an iPod, but with T-mobile's Jump program, I upgraded to a phone that will hold all of my music. Then, some of the art displayed, some did not. Neither Uconnect nor Apple could give me a reason for this. Then, I totally hosed myself my updating my phone to iOS8. Phone is fine; music is toast, until Uconnect sends out an update for iOS8.

The SD card is the cheapest and easiest way to load and play your music, if you don't care about the Album Art displaying, but I did not have it long enough to play with it; to see how much control I could have with my music.

Edited by dhh3

I load music onto a small flash drive and plug that into the input slot inside the center console. (at the front) Don't know if pre 14's have this feature. Works fine. I convert the files to MP3 and just drag and drop them onto the flash drive.

Exactly what I do but now I'm gonna go look for that SD slot. BTW....yes the pre-2014's do have the usb port.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

The SD slot is directly above the CD slot. I bought an SD card at Best Buy, loaded all my music on it, pluged it in, but no artwork displayed. This is when I found out that once Album Art work is loaded on an Apple product, in my case iTunes, the file becomes a proprietary file belonging to Apple, and will copy only to another Apple Product. So, I erased the SD card, and brought it back to Best Buy. I contemplated buying an iPod, but with T-mobile's Jump program, I upgraded to a phone that will hold all of my music. Then, some of the art displayed, some did not. Neither Uconnect nor Apple could give me a reason for this. Then, I totally hosed myself my updating my phone to iOS8. Phone is fine; music is toast, until Uconnect sends out an update for iOS8.

The SD card is the cheapest and easiest way to load and play your music, if you don't care about the Album Art displaying, but I did not have it long enough to play with it; to see how much control I could have with my music.

Album art can be added to mp3 files using a myriad of different ID3 tag programs. The question is this: Does uconnect ignore those tags in favor of Gracenote? The answer seems to be, Yes. If not, imbedding art is fairly straightforward. I'm not so interested in album art as I am sound quality. Album art is cool, but will the files play without skipping if I eliminate the iPod? One reason that I am hesitant to ditch the iPod is because I like my iPod playlists. With the iPod, there are features like the search by alphabet and play by genre. Sometimes you just want to listen to punk. Right?

I don't currently have a card reader for my PC, so that would be necessary in addition to the price of the SD card. Before I go out and spend money, I was hoping that others had some experience with the SD cards. If all I get is a list of files without any search functions and I have to give up all the playlists, I'm not sure I want to do it.

The iPod skips really really really really piss me off!

Peace.

So the newer SXT models have it? Now you made my DJ sound old.....I'll check again but I am sure i didn't see any SD card slots around my 8 track. :lol:

I think I still some 8 track tapes hanging around LOL. I should also add that I have the 8.4" screen, if that makes any difference.

Edited by rolly

Album art can be added to mp3 files using a myriad of different ID3 tag programs. The question is this: Does uconnect ignore those tags in favor of Gracenote? The answer seems to be, Yes. If not, imbedding art is fairly straightforward. I'm not so interested in album art as I am sound quality. Album art is cool, but will the files play without skipping if I eliminate the iPod? One reason that I am hesitant to ditch the iPod is because I like my iPod playlists. With the iPod, there are features like the search by alphabet and play by genre. Sometimes you just want to listen to punk. Right?

I don't currently have a card reader for my PC, so that would be necessary in addition to the price of the SD card. Before I go out and spend money, I was hoping that others had some experience with the SD cards. If all I get is a list of files without any search functions and I have to give up all the playlists, I'm not sure I want to do it.

The iPod skips really really really really piss me off!

Peace.

Hi Red,

I use an SD card and the voice command allows you to search by artist, song or album. I never tried it by genre, but I don't see why it wouldn't. If I think of it, I'll give it a try alter today and let you know.

Hi Red,

I use an SD card and the voice command allows you to search by artist, song or album. I never tried it by genre, but I don't see why it wouldn't. If I think of it, I'll give it a try alter today and let you know.

OK, so you've been using the SD card. Cool. How do you structure your files? I'm assuming a folder structure with Artist as the main folder, the Albums in that folder, and all the Songs in the correct Album folder. And, for the sake of the thread, would ID3 tagging the files allow album art to show? My assumption is that uconnect ignores album art unless you enable Gracenote. I know dhh3 would appreciate that info. Also, what is FAT format? Do I have to purchase a special FAT SD card? Thanks, rolly.

Peace.

Oh yeah, one more question? Any hiccups or skips in the music with the SD card?

Peace.

No skips or hiccups. It's FAT 32 and nothing special for the SD card. I tried to select by genre, but it doesn't work. It also shows the album cover but it's rather small. You're right on the money as to the structure of the file- artist in main folder. It's amazing the number of songs that you can put on the SD cards. I just did a simple download and that was it.

Edited by rolly

OK, so you've been using the SD card. Cool. How do you structure your files? I'm assuming a folder structure with Artist as the main folder, the Albums in that folder, and all the Songs in the correct Album folder. And, for the sake of the thread, would ID3 tagging the files allow album art to show? My assumption is that uconnect ignores album art unless you enable Gracenote. I know dhh3 would appreciate that info. Also, what is FAT format? Do I have to purchase a special FAT SD card? Thanks, rolly.

Peace.

With both the SD card and my iPhone5s, turning Gracenote on or off made no difference: the SD showed no artwork, and the iPhone5s showed some. I had just downloaded 2 albums from the iTunes Store. Artwork displays on my computer and phone, but not on the 8.4 screen! This is when I spent hours on the phone with Apple and Uconnect. Apple was stumped. Uconnect no longer works with Gracenote, but is working on a fix (?).

Of course, this is before I downloaded iOS8. Now, music is a mess!

Is there a way for me to change all my music, to have an ID3 tag, all at once, or do I have to do each song one by one? If there is an easy way to do this, I'll Buy another SD card!

I'm a perfectionist: if the radio is made to display album artwork, then I WANT TO SEE IT! LOL

With both the SD card and my iPhone5s, turning Gracenote on or off made no difference: the SD showed no artwork, and the iPhone5s showed some. I had just downloaded 2 albums from the iTunes Store. Artwork displays on my computer and phone, but not on the 8.4 screen! This is when I spent hours on the phone with Apple and Uconnect. Apple was stumped. Uconnect no longer works with Gracenote, but is working on a fix (?).

Of course, this is before I downloaded iOS8. Now, music is a mess!

Is there a way for me to change all my music, to have an ID3 tag, all at once, or do I have to do each song one by one? If there is an easy way to do this, I'll Buy another SD card!

I'm a perfectionist: if the radio is made to display album artwork, then I WANT TO SEE IT! LOL

ID3 tags have to be added to each mp3 file. One by one.

Peace.

ID3 tags have to be added to each mp3 file. One by one.

Peace.

I was afraid of that. Thank you for letting me know.

1. Can you give me instructions how to do this?

2. Can I do this with the music in my iTunes Library? Or, do I drag one album out, install the file, and then put it back in the iTunes Library. Can I drag it to the desktop and insert the file if I can not do it in the Library? (sounds kinky, huh!)

3. Once Uconnect comes out with the iOS8 update, I will do this only to the songs which do not display the artwork.

4. Is the album considered the mp3 file, or each song? I have never done anything like this before!

Thank you very much for any help you can offer.

Edited by dhh3