musty smell

ltdjourney

• Official Dodge Support

slight musty smell coming from defroster after truck sitting for about a hour , anyone know where drain line for air cond is located on 2014 D J

ltdjourney,

The cabin filter is a good place to start, the source may also be microbial growth on the cooling coil within the A/C system which causes a musty smell as you've described.

I'd recommend discussing this possibility with your dealer for further handling/cleaning if applicable.

I good idea to do a couple times a year is start the vehicle and let it idle with the A/C and defrost blowing full blast. Then spray some lysol through the HVAC intake vent at the bottom of the windshield. I've done that with my prior vehicles to make sure there's no mold/bacteria buildup.

• Official Dodge Support

I have owned dodge since 1999 from trucks to challenger ,charger never had any smell from my air , this is my first and thanks for ur reply

ltdjourney,

The issue with the cooling coil was specific the the Journey.

You may have noticed a similar condition in other vehicles however I can imagine it's pronounce in your Journey.

All the best, keep us posted if you can.

• 2 weeks later...

took it to dealer said they can't smell it so I have to wait until they smell it to get it fixed I guess. I have tried different things even sprayed mold cleaner into duct outside still same. so I don't know what to do next because I am heading south in a bit don't time to sit around dealer for them to be able to smell it first before they repair it???? I told them about dodge cares never heard of that before they said

took it to dealer said they can't smell it so I have to wait until they smell it to get it fixed I guess. I have tried different things even sprayed mold cleaner into duct outside still same. so I don't know what to do next because I am heading south in a bit don't time to sit around dealer for them to be able to smell it first before they repair it???? I told them about dodge cares never heard of that before they said

Frustrating... Who smelled it, the service adviser? Any way to get them to get a couple of noses in there to give it a whiff?

• Official Dodge Support

guess have to leave so they can find it or smell it usually only smell it after I use truck for about 25 minutes and it sets for about 1 hr when I come out start it up with blower on it smells for about 20 sec and gone until next time .

ltdjourney,

They'll certainly have to reproduce the condition before they replace any parts, best to give them a full account of when it happens.

Your dealer likely wouldn't be aware of our Corporate online involvement however they can certainly phone to our technical support team if they need further guidance.

• 5 months later...

If you haven't done so already, the dealership can clean your a/c system. It definitely makes a difference. I think the service is $99 or so. Cleans out the mold infections that occasionally happen inside the a/c (evaporator, I think). Mine hasn't had the moldy smell, but they recommended the service and I did it. Smelled real good after. These mold infections can recur after the service if they don't get every mold cell. May take a few times to eradicate the infection. Good luck.

Peace.