strut and bearing replacement, floaty steering

I have a 2012 dodge journey,. it has 35000 kms on it.

I bought it from a dealership who took it in from a trade from an elderly couple.

So far i have had to have the following items replaced on it (within the last 6 weeks):

1. battery and alternator

2. strut bearings

3. left and right front struts

I just got it back from the repairs at the dealership and the steering is very floaty - they took it for a ride with me, confirmed the issue and told me they would check the alignment

Can anyone tell me why this would be or if they have had similar issues with their journey?

I dont drive like a maniac, nor do i think the previous couple did. I dont understand why a brand new vehicle with 35000 kms would need so much work done already.

Please help!

Regretting buying a dodge

Welcome to the forum.

Your right - I also don't understand the need to replace the parts you mentioned.

Without a definitive driving record you don't really know where it was driven or

for that fact how it was driven, the little old couple story doesn't seem to float.

Floaty steering is a hard concept to imagine I guess you have to experience it.

My 2011 is near 43000 kms and drives as good as the day I picked it up.

Was it "floaty" before the repairs? Did the alignment fix it? As stated, who knows what happened before you bought it. You got all new parts covered under warranty. Do you have proof the prior owners were "an elderly couple"? Dealerships will tell you anything. Anyway, you should be good to go now.

Edited by jkeaton

• Official Dodge Support

I have a 2012 dodge journey,. it has 35000 kms on it.

I bought it from a dealership who took it in from a trade from an elderly couple.

So far i have had to have the following items replaced on it (within the last 6 weeks):

1. battery and alternator

2. strut bearings

3. left and right front struts

I just got it back from the repairs at the dealership and the steering is very floaty - they took it for a ride with me, confirmed the issue and told me they would check the alignment

Can anyone tell me why this would be or if they have had similar issues with their journey?

I dont drive like a maniac, nor do i think the previous couple did. I dont understand why a brand new vehicle with 35000 kms would need so much work done already.

Please help!

Regretting buying a dodge

dodgejourney2012,

Welcome to the forum!

Were the above mentioned issues resolved under warranty?

bigtsr brings up a good point, it's difficult to determine if the original owner took care of the vehicle.

Keep us posted, I hope all goes well moving forward.

Did you really believe the "old lady only drove it to church" story, did you? It may have been a company lease car that was used by multiple people who didn't maintain it, they just trade them in every couple of years. I know my buddy's company does that. Abuse the vehicle then dump it before it gets too old. In any event, have it thourghly checked, repair what's bad, and I'm sure you'll end up happy! Best of luck!