can't fill gas tank

fredmatta

Hi,

The last two times I filled my gas tank, It would take like 1 gallon, then gas pump stops like the tank is full. Knowing there is no way it could be full, I have to keep manually pumping gas in. It still takes another 10 gallons or more, and I have to put in in like a half gallon at a time.

1- tried over 3 different gas stations
2- tried turning the gas nozel up, down, side to side, and pulling out the nozel a little here and there.
3- I am not getting any messages on the dashboard
4- Also I put some gas cleaner (one of those small bottles from adv auto)

Any ideas what would cause this?

This is a new one. There was some talk about difficultly in getting the gauge to read full, but I don't recall this. You tried everything I was goin to suggest. Did you just get the car? I see its a 2014, maybe the fill hose was twisted at the factory. Think of it this way, if you can't fill it, you can't drive it, think how much you'll save on gas! Sorry, that's the only ideas I have. Good luck!

Some constriction on the side of the filling door is certainly possible. Not sure if you can crawl under the vehicle to view the filling components. Try that. I think you're going to end up at the dealer though. Make sure its empty when you take it in. Not only will you get some free gas, but they will likely need space to add gas during diagnosis. Good luck.

Peace.

There is a vent restriction somewhere between the tank and the filler neck where the gas cap is secured. I've seen numerous instances where spiders nest in these lines and their webs block the evap lines and cause this problem. Take it to your dealer and have then clear the evap lines with compressed air first. If that does not solve the problem, then the rollover valve at the top of the fuel tank has become stuck closed and won't allow the fuel to enter the tank properly. If that is the case then the fuel tank will have to be replaced. It's a warrantable repair either way.

Welcome to the forum. I concur that it is a venting issue. Since you have a 2014, has it done this from the beginning, or did it just start doing it?

BTW, I have been overfilling my vehicles for years, sometimes to the top of the filler neck. I have never had any issues. Lucky, maybe.