shaking steering wheel at all speeds

sexyRTboi

So to continue the saga of the always evolving weird issues with my DJ ... I've developed a pretty signifigent shimmy/shake in the steering wheel at all speeds - would say its most like having ice build up in a rim during the winter, that type of shake. It also pulls to the right slightly at highway speeds. -- this also didn't develop over time, it was just suddenly one day about 2 mths ago it just started doing it - being February I assumed it was ice in the rim and thought nothing of it .....

Now, the crap 19" Kumhos are pretty damn near the wear bars, I know that and will be replacing them with Bridgestone Duelers mid May - however I don't feel that its the tires that are the culprit here.

At times recently when I pull into our driveway (or any lot for that matter), if I pull in turning left - so drivers front hits first, I occasionally hear a CLUNK ....

I've taken it to the dealer but as soon as they look at the tires they right away say its the tires and pay them $1300 please and thank you for new ones. I had the tires rotated lastweek during an oil change to see if that helps at all and it didn't make a difference at all.

What could it possibly be? .... or am I just being dumb and it is infact the tires? ..... the only reason Im skeptic is because Ive driven old beater cars in my past with REALLY bad tires .. lol ... but never ever did I have a shake ..

It's almost comical to let go of the steering wheel driving at lower speeds, or hold on very lightly and watch it shake shake shake shake .... have to make a 300kmn round trip Wednesday for a funeral so I don't want to risk a tire blow out if it is infact the stupid tires.

Edited by sexyRTboi

If the tires are indeed that worn, I would suspect that. Have you had them re-balanced? Once the rubber gets worn off, at some point, it will affect the balancing that was done when they were new.

Edited by jkeaton
corrected spelling

If the tires are indeed that worn, I would suspect that. Have you had them re-balanced? Once the rubber gets worn off, at some point, iot wikll affect the baancing that was done when they were new.

Agreed. While rotating them might move the unbalanced tire and relieve the shaking, it is entirely possible that more than one of them are unbalanced. It sounds like you need new tires anyways, so what do you have to lose by changing them out and seeing if that helps? Worst case you end up with new tires that you need anyway and you can move on to the next suspect... Let us know what you find out.

ya forsure ..... unforunatly for how bloody expensive these tires are lol

I don't know if its coincidence or not BUT ..... we went on a cruise for 9 days in February, right when Ontario got blasted by that "Polar Vortex" .... the DJ was in the driveway exposed the entire time and when we got back it had been sitting for a total of 11 days .... and the wheels were encased in ice .... literally had to use ice melt around them and ice pic them free ............ THAT is pretty much the very day the shake started

Could that have had anything to do with it ??

Agree, especially if you go 20 or 22 :)

My choice, however - replace the tires. I regularly have 2 kids in the back seats and just imagining what could happen if tires are worn out makes me sweating and rushing to the tire station :)

Edited by Totemus

I don't know if its coincidence or not BUT ..... we went on a cruise for 9 days in February, right when Ontario got blasted by that "Polar Vortex" .... the DJ was in the driveway exposed the entire time and when we got back it had been sitting for a total of 11 days .... and the wheels were encased in ice .... literally had to use ice melt around them and ice pic them free ............ THAT is pretty much the very day the shake started

Could that have had anything to do with it ??

By now any ice is gone, so I really doubt it. I suppose something in the suspension could have come loose from water freezing and expanding, but nothing comes to mind. I would say that 9 times out of 10 (probably more than that really) any shaking that is experienced all of the time is probably due to wheel balance. You could try and save some money by getting your current wheels/tires balanced, but that may be difficult or even impossible due to wear.

ya the tires are at the end of their lifespan ... I know that, im just waiting on a few more paycheques until I can afford to replace the damn 19's .

Interesting though, had to drive to a funeral today ... 350kms roundtrip on the 400 series highways - I got on the highway with the intention of, get to speed, if its to shakey or I don't feel comfortable I would take the next exit and just take the back roads to where I had to go.

up to 100km/h, shakes ... not as bad the last 2 days ,... but shakes ... 120, shakes alil less ..... cruise set at 125km/h NO shake ! ..... so whatever that means .... ??? .... #headscratcher

Sure sounds to me like a tire issue - a broken cord or shifted belt inside the tire itself - either of which will cause a pull and a shimmy at the same time. When the car is up on the lift and the wheels are spun off of the ground, you'll be able to see the tire's out-of-round condition as it rotates. Based on what you're describing, I'd almost guarantee that replacement tires will solve both problems.

Sure sounds to me like a tire issue - a broken cord or shifted belt inside the tire itself - either of which will cause a pull and a shimmy at the same time. When the car is up on the lift and the wheels are spun off of the ground, you'll be able to see the tire's out-of-round condition as it rotates. Based on what you're describing, I'd almost guarantee that replacement tires will solve both problems.

Agreed... That is pretty much a text book set of symptoms you've got there...

• Official Dodge Support

ya the tires are at the end of their lifespan ... I know that, im just waiting on a few more paycheques until I can afford to replace the damn 19's .

Interesting though, had to drive to a funeral today ... 350kms roundtrip on the 400 series highways - I got on the highway with the intention of, get to speed, if its to shakey or I don't feel comfortable I would take the next exit and just take the back roads to where I had to go.

up to 100km/h, shakes ... not as bad the last 2 days ,... but shakes ... 120, shakes alil less ..... cruise set at 125km/h NO shake ! ..... so whatever that means .... ??? .... #headscratcher

sexyTRboi,

I'm also of the opinion the vibration is tire related.

Please be very careful while driving in wet conditions if in fact the tires are worn to the extent you've described.

The tire's ability to channel water out of the tread is greatly reduced so you'll have issues with handling and braking. Nothing new but just be cautious and leave space between you and other cars.

Keep us posted about the vibration once the new rubber goes on.

oh absolutely care is being given to the tire situation right now ...... in a weird twist, Ive just been put off work for 6 weeks to RE-repair a hernia I had fixed 2 years ago .... gotta love being a only guy working as a nurse in a facility ... I do all the heavy lifting ... lol .... so thankfully, the Journey can stay parked in the driveway for the next little while with the longest trip being 2 blocks to timmies lol.

New tires ASAP ...... so opinion than, The tires I plan on getting are 235/55R19s .... Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopias. - $193/each -- $898 all in with a $70 mail in rebate.

Ive read nothing but fantastic reviews for these tires plus they have a higher load rating which we want for towing our camper.

Any opinions? thoughts? suggestions of other tires I should consider?

oh absolutely care is being given to the tire situation right now ...... in a weird twist, Ive just been put off work for 6 weeks to RE-repair a hernia I had fixed 2 years ago .... gotta love being a only guy working as a nurse in a facility ... I do all the heavy lifting ... lol .... so thankfully, the Journey can stay parked in the driveway for the next little while with the longest trip being 2 blocks to timmies lol.

New tires ASAP ...... so opinion than, The tires I plan on getting are 235/55R19s .... Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopias. - $193/each -- $898 all in with a $70 mail in rebate.

Ive read nothing but fantastic reviews for these tires plus they have a higher load rating which we want for towing our camper.

Any opinions? thoughts? suggestions of other tires I should consider?

I bought Ecopias in March. Nice riding tire and very low rolling resistance- smooooooooth!

oh really Rolly ???? ..... what size? and please tell me you possibly have pics lol ..... What Ive been really looking for is a tire to fill up the wheel well alittle more than the stocks do .... did ...

that's awesome that they do live up to the reviews ive been reading than

oh really Rolly ???? ..... what size? and please tell me you possibly have pics lol ..... What Ive been really looking for is a tire to fill up the wheel well alittle more than the stocks do .... did ...

that's awesome that they do live up to the reviews ive been reading than

Mine are 225/65R/17's. I noticed your Journey is AWD so you have the 19" tires. I don't know if they'll be much different than the stock tires though. I should also add that they handle very well in the rain.

Edited by rolly

Yeah, the stock size is a joke. 225/55-19. Very few other vehicles with that size, meaning they are not a common size, meaning more $$$

That is a great price for 4 tires. Myself, I am going with a 255/50-19 tire. It is the stock size for many SUV's including the BMW X series, Mercedes M series, Acura MDX, etc. Common size means a higher volume produced resulting in cheaper prices. You get more tire for less money vs the stock size. There are also way more choices on brand & model.

frogbox, I wanted to go to a more rugged larger SUV tire but was warned if I went too much bigger than stock than I would have some serious rubbing issues when hard turning ... ?? the tire size youre going with is pretty much exactly what I wanted to go with ... do you have any particular tires in mind ?

frogbox, I wanted to go to a more rugged larger SUV tire but was warned if I went too much bigger than stock than I would have some serious rubbing issues when hard turning ... ?? the tire size youre going with is pretty much exactly what I wanted to go with ... do you have any particular tires in mind ?

The 255's are only 30mm wider than stock. So 15mm on either side of center. I don't think rubbing will be an issue with only 15mm of extra internal width.

I Have narrowed it down to 2 possibilities The first is the Yokohama YK580. They are a brand name that is reasonably priced. They have a low rolling resistance for better fuel economy and a treadwear rating of 60,000 miles. They are also V speed rated which is higher than the H rating recommended by Dodge.

Option 2 is the Yokohama Avid Envigor. Also a reasonably priced brand name that is also low rolling resistance and great treadwear. It is also V speed rated. Both are similarly priced at about $200 each plus tax & installation with current rebates available.

YK580: t_20110804.yokhvz.ang.jpg

Avid ENVigor: F5K1U0M0.jpg

The cheapest places I have found for tires this side of the border are www.pmctire.com and www.tireset.ca

Tireset seems to be cheaper, but charge for shipping (about $20 per tire) while PMC is more expensive, but ship for free to Ontario.

They work out very close in the end.

http://tires.pmctire.com/ent/yokohama-avid-envigor-255-50r19-107v.tire

http://www.tireset.ca/yokohama-avid-envigor-h-or-v-speed-rated-255-50r19-107v-high-performance-all-season/

Edited by FROGBOX

I've had very good luck with Yokohama tires on other vehicles. In my experience you get a lot for your money with that brand. Let us know what you decide to get and provide a review if you have the time. Tires are a dime a dozen and quality reviews are always helpful.

I went with the Yoko yk580 in 235/55/r19 about a year ago. Absolutely loved them since day one. 15k miles later and there doesn't appear to be any wear on them hardly at all. They are a huge improvement over the stock Kuhmo's. I could never get my steering wheel shaking to stop with the Kuhmo's. After the first balance with the Yoko's problem was gone.

They were a killer deal too, about $550 total from Discount Tire after a promo and gift card cash back thing they had going on.

• 2 months later...

:rant2: :headscratch:Ok, so I see I'm not the only one have the stupid shimmy problem...... makes me want to drive my DJ in a lake a leave the stupid thing there....... but never the less, I am going to let you know it isn't a tire issue, its a wheel & tire issue.... what I have come to conclusion to, is this....... The fake chrome, well the Chrome Clad 19' wheel is a piece of junk wheel, and the 225/55x19 is a very heavy tire... Now I have contacted about 15 different Dodge shops, and here is pretty much what Ive been told by almost all of them..... Its a really bad wheel design because dirt, road grim, and brake dust can build up in side between the alloy and chrome cover over time..... best thing to do to get rid of it, get rid of them, Ive had 5 alignments done, lost count of balances ive had, I know its more than 20 or so, and about $10K worth of suspension work front to back done. Yeah Im tired of it so im going to be looking for some wheels.....oh oh oh and if your shop doesn't have the special wheel balance adapter it wont be worth it at all to get new tires because the vibration will wear a tire down faster than you would even want to imagine.... but yeah Im going to be looking at new aftermarket wheels, wish I could but some 17" Pro comp wagon wheels on my DJ but there isn't enough back spacing for it :( Hell who knows I might just go all Frankenstien with my DJ and cut the flares off and cut all the plastic out and jeep flare it and put the jeep wrangler front brakes on there and put some fattys on there hhahahahahaha..... Im an automotive engineer so who knows I might do it...... hope this helps :salute: