Ice building up in corner of front inside door

journeygirl2014

Is anyone having problems with ice building up in corner of front inside door on passenger side? There is a hole with a bolt sticking up and there is a big chunk of ice built up there and when I open door the corner of door brings up in it. I am afraid that it will kink corner of door. I chips away the ice daily so the door can be opened but it continues to build up there. It also builds between the two doors on passenger side on the inside and when door opens in back the corner of door brings up in the ice. Anyone having the same problem and did you find out what is causing it?

It looks like water is getting in around the wheel well and filling in that hole. So there must be something let go around the wheel well for water to get in there. The wheel well on the passenger builds up more snow and ice then in the driver side as well. I went up to the Dodge dealer and they are going to call me when they have a loaner for me. Hopefully it's a warranty job if there is something separated by the wheel well causing water to get in there.

• Official Dodge Support

It looks like water is getting in around the wheel well and filling in that hole. So there must be something let go around the wheel well for water to get in there. The wheel well on the passenger builds up more snow and ice then in the driver side as well. I went up to the Dodge dealer and they are going to call me when they have a loaner for me. Hopefully it's a warranty job if there is something separated by the wheel well causing water to get in there.

journeygirl2014,

Welcome to the forum!

I haven't come across this issue at all but it sounds like something isn't lined up properly allowing water to flow differently on the passenger side and ultimately have ice build up in a certain way.

Could be some plastic is misaligned and causing this, hard to say.

Keep us posted if you can once your dealer takes a look at it.

• 11 months later...

A year ago the water and ice built up so bad that it chipped the paint off the inside of the front fender. Dodge had to pay the auto body shop to have it repaired. I figured that while my vehicle was at the auto body shop that they would fix the problem with water and ice building up in that hole where the bolt is. But guess what...they never! We had allot of snow on Tuesday and by Friday morning that hole was filling up with ice. Behind the black foam above the hole that is behind the wheel well is pack jammed solid with ice. Ice is built up on the wheel well on the outside more on the passenger side then on the driver side. I love my Journey and this is the only complaint I have with it when I'm afraid that ice will built up allot and bend corner of door when opened. I think Dodge should put out a recall for anyone having this ice buildup issue. I need this fixed and the dealership here hasn't done anything to help me out other then get the chip of paint repaired.

Edited by journeygirl2014

Did you buy your DJ new? If not, run a CarFax on to see if it was ever hit on that side. Either something is missing, or out of alignment. Also, do you have a sunroof? The drain tube that runs down the A pillar may not be positioned to drain properly. If there is snow on your roof, the sunroof will get warm on the inside melting the snow, and then the water will run down the drain tubes.

I purchased vehicle new off the lot. Its doesn't have a sunroof. I know it's a problem with the drain tube but try telling lady that in the service dept. Even the auto body shop said that it was the drain tube and that if it was rerouted it would fix the problem I'm having. The lady at the Dodge here told me last summer that the auto body would look at it and see where water is getting in and fix the problem. But she never told the auto body shop to check out where the water was coming in around the wheel well and entering the vehicle. All they did was repair the chip of paint that was created from ice buildup from last winter. How do I post a photo in this forum?

This is an icicle that formed outside the vehicle and froze to the ground. You can see where the water is coming out though between the door and wheel well. I haven't opened my door since 2:00 pm on Saturday and I'm afraid to open it, afraid I'll kink up the corner of the door.

post-8458-0-20568000-1425904986_thumb.jp

That is wierd indeed. Why does the vehicle have a drain tube if there's no sunroof? Where is it draining from, the windshield area?

The auto body shop said there was a drain tube there. I've searched online everywhere on a dodge journey with a drain tube to find its location and everything I found mentioned a sunroof. Its getting in somehow. I spent yesterday chipping the ice out from under the wheel well. Inside the wheel well towards the chassis where the engine is bolted on there was a huge chunk of ice and it was clear. It wasn't from ice built up from driving over snowy roads. The driver side never had any ice built up in that area at all. I need to find where the water is running when it melts off my roof and windshield.

I would suggest the air intake/cowl drain is plugged therefore

snow melting at the windshield/roof levels are building up under the cowl and overflowing.

Where would I find the air intake/cowl drain on a parts list to know the location? Would that be under the AC and heater parts diagram?

I looked on the parts list I have and could not

see it and as I am out of town until tomorrow

possibly someone else can look.

I believe it is an external drain located

on the right side and draining just in front

of the passenger door, could be wrong tho.

When the temperature warms up this afternoon I plan on putting the hair dryer on the ice to see if I can melt it all. Remove that foam and run some water over my windshield to see where it's leaking into the vehicle. Its only filling up that hole where the bolt is to. Its not leaking in on my floor. Even though there is still warranty on that part of vehicle we will check it out ourselves when the Dodge dealer don't get their mechanics to look at issues like that. My vehicle was at the auto body shop for a week back in October and I figured they would have fixed the problem but they never. I guess the lady in the service dept didn't tell the auto body shop to check out to see where the water was getting in. Thanks everyone for your help. ☺

I was going to suggest exactly what you're going to do. Run water down the windshield, anywhere from center to the passenger side, and try and see if you can see the water coming down that way.Try to do it with the door open if you can manage to keep it from running inside the car. If it's simple enough, you can also remove the wiper cowl to see inside that cavity and see what happens when the water gets down there from the windshield.

Edited by B4ZINGA