POOR HANDLING IN ICY CONDITIONS

jeff.cox

I live in lower NY. Westchester. We had what I would consider a moderate snow fall last week. There was tons of media coverage of a "huge" snow storm.

I went to work on Friday with my FWD caravan. No problem. The caravan just has issues when it's s steep hill and no momentum.

I usually test the roads on driving in by hitting the brakes hard and seeing what kind if grip I have. This helps me decide how fast I should drive. I make sure the boast is cleAr of course.

Now on Friday night, I took my wife's car (DJ) to run some errands, came to a stop midway on a downhill not expecting any "abnormalities", lightly stepped on the brakes, and the car acted weirdly. The ABS kicked in HARD. I found that really strange it's not a steep hill, and I didn't see any ice over the road. I had driven on it just a few hours earlier on my van.

My wife is always telling me that her car slides a lot when she brakes. I've always told her that its the ABS working because maybe the rd is slippery.

But now I'm a little concerned cause the DJ is ABS happy at times. I see what she's talking about now.

Is this what everyone is talking about?

Btw, 2012, it'll be 2yrs old in may, 10.3k miles on original khumos.

All I can suggest is that no car is exactly alike. I have a full size 4x4 pickup and a Sebring convertible. Sometimes the FWD Sebring can handle bad road conditions just as good, or better than the 4x4. I dont expect any vehicle to handle exactly like another. Each one will handle road conditions differently. It is up to me, as an experienced driver, to learn each vehicles handling characteristics and not just "assume" I can drive one just like I do another. I dont doubt any of the comments about the DJ handling differently than other vehicles you may have and drive in the same conditions. It is a different vehicle after all. Maybe spend more time driving the DJ around and learning how it drives and adjust your driving habits accordingly.

I'm not bashing or flaming anyone, I am just speaking for myself if it were me.

I took the Journey out on icy roads (with snow tires) yesterday and yes it handles like crap on ice whereas my tiny Aveo with snows plows through the same icy roads like a tank. I think the design and weight of the vehicle has a lot to do with its crappy performance BUT with many years of driving all kinds of vehicles that sucked in snow I just readjust my driving habits to the conditions of the road and no problems. As I mentioned before no matter what vehicle you have I don't think any of them you can do the highway speed limits with icy conditions. Just slow down and you'll be fine.

BTW same old story today....Honda CR-V (AWD) slid off the ramp getting on the highway today. Another inexperienced AWD driver that doesn't give any respect to the ice.

I took the Journey out on icy roads (with snow tires) yesterday and yes it handles like crap on ice whereas my tiny Aveo with snows plows through the same icy roads like a tank. I think the design and weight of the vehicle has a lot to do with its crappy performance BUT with many years of driving all kinds of vehicles that sucked in snow I just readjust my driving habits to the conditions of the road and no problems. As I mentioned before no matter what vehicle you have I don't think any of them you can do the highway speed limits with icy conditions. Just slow down and you'll be fine.

BTW same old story today....Honda CR-V (AWD) slid off the ramp getting on the highway today. Another inexperienced AWD driver that doesn't give any respect to the ice.

Exactly. Cars dont make drivers, drivers make cars. Learn the limitations of your vehicle.

Edited by jkeaton

Did you ever find the answer. Just took a long trip with our 2012 awd and had same problems. Barely could keep it on the road on solid ice.

Hi Cruff I did find a fix . FOR SALE . to all the die hard DJ lovers this is more than a driving to fast for road conditions problem . yes I agree you need to slow down and drive to the road conditions but the way this care handles is in my opion unexceptable .to back my claim up I was a automotive mechanic for over 10 yrs so you can imagine how many differnt types of vehicles I have road tested none of wich i remember handling like this. it is very easy to jump on the ban wagon and say slow down!!!!! thats not what i came on here for I was looking for posative helpful and meanigful feed back . to those of you that took the time to consider this and reply I thank you ! Good Day

I think I got it. Found start of odd wear on back tires. Took it in for alignment found all four tires out of Wack. Drove perfect on blacktop. Add snow or ice hold on. Waiting for next round of bad weather to give it the real test. So far on bad areas seems fixed.

I hope it works out. Knock on wood, my Journey handles great on snowy roads. I have to intentionally slow down to be responsible. I've owned a Ford F150 pickup, a Montero Sport 4wd SUV, and a Dodge Ram 2500 4 x 4, and this is one of the best driving vehicles in the snow of any of them.

Edited by Jay Sixspeedrt

I think I got it. Found start of odd wear on back tires. Took it in for alignment found all four tires out of Wack. Drove perfect on blacktop. Add snow or ice hold on. Waiting for next round of bad weather to give it the real test. So far on bad areas seems fixed.

My buddy has same issue with his Journey. For some river it just keeps coming back. He is waiting for his lease to be over

• 8 years later...

I currently bought a used 2015 Dodge Journey, in September.  It's been fine on dry roads, but on icy roads, salted and sanded, I can only go 30 miles an hour.  I feel so much anxiety in this car.  Has anyone discovered what the issue is?  I have Never like not having any control over a car on these kinds of road conditions.  I live in Michigan, so it's not like I can stay home and miss work.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

13 minutes ago, lynngo said:

I currently bought a used 2015 Dodge Journey, in September.  It's been fine on dry roads, but on icy roads, salted and sanded, I can only go 30 miles an hour.  I feel so much anxiety in this car.  Has anyone discovered what the issue is?  I have Never like not having any control over a car on these kinds of road conditions.  I live in Michigan, so it's not like I can stay home and miss work.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

4 cyl. with FWD and not the V6 ? Rear suspension link bushings are a known wear problem and throws rear alignment out and looseness into the rear to track properly. This is most likely WHY you have the situation you experience  in such conditions.

35 minutes ago, lynngo said:

push the button for the traction control to turn it off when driving on slippery or icy roads, as it will sense the wheels slipping and then apply the brakes, if you are not sure which button it is look in your manual i believe it is the 3rd or fourth button  towards the passenger side with the squiggly lines on it,,,also you will have to turn it off every time after you have turned the journey off and then back on

Edited by 2late4u

17 hours ago, lynngo said:

What kind of tires do you have? Driving on icy roads, 30 mph is plenty fast. Why do you want to go faster? 

23 hours ago, jkeaton said:

What kind of tires do you have? Driving on icy roads, 30 mph is plenty fast. Why do you want to go faster? 

Well, the speed limit is 55.  It's not really icy roads, it's the car on icy roads.  It should not be like this.  It's different.  It handles different.  I feel like I'm hydroplaning even at lower speeds.  I think there's a malfunction with this car.  I e never had problems with any other cars and I have lived in Michigan and have driven in snow before.  This vehicle needs to be recalled.

37 minutes ago, lynngo said:

Well, the speed limit is 55.  It's not really icy roads, it's the car on icy roads.  It should not be like this.  It's different.  It handles different.  I feel like I'm hydroplaning even at lower speeds.  I think there's a malfunction with this car.  I e never had problems with any other cars and I have lived in Michigan and have driven in snow before.  This vehicle needs to be recalled.

This forum is designed to HELP DJ owners, NOT meant as a "GRIPE" board. PLEASE inform us of what model/engine/drivetrain yours has. Your initial description of handling concerns has me telling you to have the REAR SUSPENSION inxpected for worn parts and probable FOUR WHEEL ALIGNMENT. 

LOTS of other make SUV/CUV vehicles have the same issues.

I have just completed my 60 mile, round trip drive, in the " bomb cyclone of the century :whistling:" here in SE MI.

'16 FWD, 6cyc. First test on new all season tires.

I was a bit apprehensive as the tires have been a bit disappointing in wet conditions. They exceeded my expectations and the drive was fine. 

Speed was reduced accordingly and the drive was 10 extra mins max.

This is the 3rd set of tires on this vehicle. Tires are absolutely critical on the DJ as it isn't the best vehicle I have had for the snow but tires make all the difference in the world. I also had it aligned a few months ago and the air pressure is correct. A couple of other things I have experienced is DO NOT put your best tires on the front and substandard on the back with FWD. I also add weight to the back and that makes substantial difference in the FWD vehicle.  I don't have it in yet this year and only add it for storms.

This will be the 5th winter for this vehicle. It is what it is but proper maintenance and driving skill make a difference. I would not want to exceed the vehicle capabilities and have to recover it as it is not the best weight distribution. 

I agree  tires make a heck of difference on the Journeys. My wife’s 2014 awd has expensive Dunlop grand trek snows on steel rims. Daughter in laws 2012 with 4 cylinder 2 whl drive also has dedicated winter tires. We are in snow belt area, not much of an option. My pick up has Cooper all weather tires, snow flake symbol tire that be used in summer as well. Not as good as dedicated snows, but better than a regular all season tire. Having awd makes that an ok cheaper option.
     Having owned numerous awd/ 4 wheel drive vehicles; the Journey in general is not that bad in winter. If you have deep pockets and live in very hilly area I’m sure a Subaru or other pricy suvs would do a little better. But complex awd systems will probably cost more to run over the life of the vehicle, imo.

The longer wheel base makes the journey better in snow in 2 wheel drive than a Cherokee Sport Jeep I had being driven in 2 wheel drive. With out using the part time 4 wheel drive on the Jeep it was almost undriveable in winter. Even with snow tires.

Had a friend who always said…4 wheel drive allows you to have your accidents at higher speed. The extra weight makes vehicle harder to stop once it’s moving. As already pointed out, going slower,  staying in control, taking more time is always the better option. Merry Xmas to everyone on the site!!

TOTALLY AGREE with all about proper SNOW TIRES. Studded full snows on our '11 and wife wants full snows for her '14. Had to buy all seasons 1 1/2 months before snows started flying well South of Buffalo NY! then it was funds for X-mas shopping, maybe before the NEW YEAR  gets to established I can get a set for hers! 

We "DODGE'd the bullet" with this Christmas storm with only about 2" snow accumulation, but man the winds and BITTER COLD have been wild!

2009 FWD Journey, 4 banger.  Southern part of the Ohio 'Snow Belt" (I call this the salt belt. Holmes County hills.  Narrow back roads, sharp turns, steep assents & descents.)

That said, what I've noticed is that ABS works against you when attempting to slow down on a descent, down to a stop sign.  The Journey does better if I put it into Neutral as I come down to the stop sign at the end of our street.  (My wife just avoids that way leaving our street, and takes the round-about route out to the main road.)  This car does well in snow, I'd say.  But then I slow down for bad conditions.  I grew up in Oklahoma, where we had more ice covered roads than snow.  Remember one time on a trip back to Oklahoma - hit an ice storm in Missouri.  Put up in a motel early that Saturday afternoon, because the heater couldn't keep the ice off of the wipers.  Next morning went back out on the highway, and the ice was still all there.  Solid sheet.  Driving about 25 MPH.  A PU with a camper goes by at about 40, does a few donuts in front of us, down through the median, back up on the road, and away he went.  Didn't learn a solitary thing.

Anyway, never had problems with our Journey on packed snow here in Ohio.

Haven't driven the DJ in the snow yet. No snow in this part of Oklahoma yet. But, I always figure it's: put on proper tires, drive carefully, and know your limits. Been watching the news and seeing several multi-car pile-ups, due to people not slowing down or over-driving the vehicle they have. Just my 2 cents.

4 hours ago, Puckrobber said:

Haven't driven the DJ in the snow yet. No snow in this part of Oklahoma yet. But, I always figure it's: put on proper tires, drive carefully, and know your limits. Been watching the news and seeing several multi-car pile-ups, due to people not slowing down or over-driving the vehicle they have. Just my 2 cents.

What part of Oklahoma are you from?  I grew up near the north edge of Tulsa County, not far from Washington County (Collinsville).  (And 16 miles west of Claremore.)

5 hours ago, Puckrobber said:

I'm currently in Clinton (Custer County), about 86 miles west of Oklahoma City. Moved here in May from Arizona. Housing market wasn't working for us, so, we moved here to be closer to my kids.

My Dad grew up north of Enid, in the Kremlin & Hillsdale area.  My folks both graduated from the Corn Bible Academy (in Corn, OK), & I've been to church youth events in the Weatherford & Hydro area.  (My great grandfather was one of the original settlers in Corn, then spelled Korn.  Later they moved down to the Gotebo area, south of you.)  I have relatives in the Fairview area as well.

On 12/31/2022 at 7:57 PM, Neto said:

My Dad grew up north of Enid, in the Kremlin & Hillsdale area.  My folks both graduated from the Corn Bible Academy (in Corn, OK), & I've been to church youth events in the Weatherford & Hydro area.  (My great grandfather was one of the original settlers in Corn, then spelled Korn.  Later they moved down to the Gotebo area, south of you.)  I have relatives in the Fairview area as well.

Only family I have here is my kids and ex-wife in Choctaw. Had only lived in the Western part of the States before. With the exception of a few snags, it's nice to be here.

On 1/2/2023 at 1:29 PM, Puckrobber said:

Only family I have here is my kids and ex-wife in Choctaw. Had only lived in the Western part of the States before. With the exception of a few snags, it's nice to be here.

Here's a funny thing.  US 62 goes through near Choctaw, correct? (I think it goes through south east of where I grew up in north east Oklahoma, maybe through Muskogee?)  Anyway, it also goes through our little town here in Ohio (Berlin).  It's a highway I'd like to drive someday, all the way from Buffalo, NY down to Brownsville, TX.  (Once I can finish the restoration on my 46 Plymouth....)