Oil Change Reminder

Journeyman425

Curious to see when everyone's first oil change reminder message appeared in the EVIC. Mine came on today @ 9500 miles - 2013 Crew FWD with 3.6. I have changed the oil twice - once at 4400 miles and again at 8800 - the second time using synthetic. I know the service interval for 2013 is 10,000 miles or when the message appears, whichever occurs first as per the manual. When this system debuted a few years ago, we were seeing the oil change message appearing as early as 2500 miles, and then it would stretch to a longer period after the first time. Just an informal poll to see what your experiences have been.

I've never had mine activate. I always change my oil at 5,000 kilometres. My oil changes are covered by my extended warranty plan. During our (8,400 miles) extended road trip earlier this year, I had the oil changed at a Chrysler dealership in Reno, which was about half way. I'm meticulous to a fault when it comes to maintaining the fluids- my son on the other hand......LOL

• Official Dodge Support

Curious to see when everyone's first oil change reminder message appeared in the EVIC. Mine came on today @ 9500 miles - 2013 Crew FWD with 3.6. I have changed the oil twice - once at 4400 miles and again at 8800 - the second time using synthetic. I know the service interval for 2013 is 10,000 miles or when the message appears, whichever occurs first as per the manual. When this system debuted a few years ago, we were seeing the oil change message appearing as early as 2500 miles, and then it would stretch to a longer period after the first time. Just an informal poll to see what your experiences have been.

Journeyman425,

A decent amount of folks in the office are driving DJ's and have reported numbers all over the place so I wasn't able to see a pattern.

Just comes down to environmental factors, driver habits etc.

I have not had mine come on as yet. Changed oil three times now. First time with 2,000 km's and second time with about 5,000 km's. Third time at about 9,500. I have about 13,400 km on it. Tag on the windshield says next change due at 14,500 km. At this rate I will probably never see the change oil warning. As long as the dealer remembers to reset the reminder.

You people and your "KM's".....remember us backwards American's don't know squat about the metric system..... ;)

I could never wait for 10,000 MILES before changing oil in a vehicle. I'm old school 3 month/3000 miles. I will, however, be changing at 6 months/5,000 MILE interval when I do the first oil change and start using full synthetic.

Edited by jkeaton

• Official Dodge Support

I've never had mine activate. I always change my oil at 5,000 kilometres. My oil changes are covered by my extended warranty plan. During our (8,400 miles) extended road trip earlier this year, I had the oil changed at a Chrysler dealership in Reno, which was about half way. I'm meticulous to a fault when it comes to maintaining the fluids- my son on the other hand......LOL

rolly,

Keep up the maintenance, you wouldn't believe the amount of people out there that find little to no value in maintaining a vehicle.

I would run past the 5000 on the next oil change just to get an idea of how efficient your DJ is along with your driving habits (likely very good).

Maybe a fun experiment.

I've had a number of vehicles with the EVIC oil change notice... I've learned to trust the algorithms used by the system to compute the oil's life. It uses driving cycles, length of time running, throttle position, load sensing, temperature, etc. ( a whole host of factors from the various system sensors) to determine when it is time to change the oil. If you do a lot of shorter, in town driving cycles, you'll most likely get a quicker (lower mileage/km traveled) notification. If like me, you are retired (don't drive that often) and out in the country where our trips will be longer (better for the engine) and the speeds more sedate (45-55 mph and easy on the throttle, 23.4 mpg average since purchase), then the cycle will be longer (in my case 9,475 miles to first notification). It is all about duty cycle and engine environment. I learned, with my Commander, to trust the EVIC and I base my oil changes on the notification or the 10,000 mile/once per year maximum. I do run Mobil 1 in the vehicles (all except my RAM Cummins) with the thought that, with the longer intervals, it can only help, but, I do trust, now, the longer intervals. I come from that era where 3,000 miles was the max and engines were lucky to last 50,000 miles before needing major work (there was a reason a lot of folks bought new cars every three years), but, with the better engines, tighter tolerances and better oils, I've gotten accustomed to the longer intervals now and am quite comfortable in relying on the computer to figure out when the oil needs to be changed. My truck, for instance, is used mostly for towing a 5th wheel RV...the engine knows when I'm towing and the oil change light will come on much quicker than when I'm not (<4,000 miles vs. >7600 miles).

Edited by webslave

Yeah, but how many liters in a gallo? Or is it how many gallons in a liter?? :)

Depends on whether you use US gallons or Imperial gallons :lol:

1 US gallon contains 3.7854 liters

1 IMP. gallon contains 4.546 liters

1 IMP. gallon = 1.2009298 US Gallons

Confused yet?????? :hyper:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallon

Terry

Edited by Windancer

• Official Dodge Support

For the first time I had the the oil change reminder come on after 8,500 km's (5300 Miles). Oil change was done in July (Castrol Edge full synthetic) just before my road trip to Florida and came on Friday last week.

Journey_SeXT,

Sounds like you've gotten the full benefit of that full synthetic oil!

That's a good amount of kilometers and MILES haha.

• 1 year later...

I will never believe oil will last longer than 3000 miles, I change the filter each time as well. There is also dust, hot weather and stop and go driving that effects oil life. I keep track of three cars at 3000 and my Harley at 5000. I always use synthetic oil and a top rated filter. Conventional oil is fine too but use the correct one. If you don't believe me regarding oil life at least use top rated filters.

I just changed the oil in my buddies Escape. It had gone almost 24,000 miles since the last oil change before he got a message saying his oil life was at 4%. 24,000 miles! Mind you, I could never go that long, but he is within the expectations of his warranty since he used the vehicles onboard system to remind him to change the oil. And he has a receipt. Modern cars do not require 3 month/3000 mile oil changes. Took me a long time to change my ways. But now I let the car tell me when to do it. We have beat this subject to death and the common consensus is to change it whenever you want to. Doing so before it is required is wasting money (except Dave, who gets free oil changes) But I understand the piece of mind it gives you.