Bad thermostat or just worn out coolant (2009 3.5l)

Hckynut56

Lately I've noticed my temp gauge going higher than normal and the fan cycling more during idle or when stuck in traffic on my 2009 with the 6cylinder 3.5l. Lots of miles on this (135,000). So I am wondering if it's just a case of needing a coolant flush or if anyone has had an issue with the thermostat sticking on your vehicle. Or any other comments about what might be causing the heat build up.

Here is info on replacing the thermostat in your Journey if your are doing it yourself:

3.5L Engine

WARNING

Do not remove pressure cap with the system hot and under pressure because serious burns from coolant can occur.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Drain cooling system.

3. Remove engine cover.

4. Disconnect radiator upper hose from thermostat housing.

5. Remove thermostat housing bolts.

6. Remove housing, thermostat, and gasket.

36543_jour_g0068.gif

Thermostat—3.5L engine

To install:

1. Clean gasket sealing surfaces.

2. Install thermostat and gasket into thermostat housing. For ease of installation, install bolts in housing for thermostat and gasket retention.

3. Install thermostat and housing to Intake manifold. Tighten bolts to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm).

4. Connect radiator hoses and install hose clamp.

5. Install the engine cover.

6. Refill cooling system.

7. Connect negative cable.

With those miles on your Journey, I think I would try a cooling flush and for the cost why not just change the thermostat for piece of mind. Thermostat should cost about $20:00 and gasket about $5:00. If you are a do-it-yourselfer it is not a bad job. I am having the opposite problem with my winter beater van. Not much heat through the heating system. I flushed the cooling system but did not bother to change the thermostat. Did not help. Takes a very long time to get to temp. Will be changing out my thermostat now. In your case, to me it sounds like your thermostat is not opening enough and could also be dirty cooling system.

Edited by wingit11

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...
18 hours ago, Kanamu79 said:

What size is the bolts for the housing?

14 hours ago, OhareFred said:

Cant you try a socket that looks like it will fit and go up or down from there?  I mean really....

14 hours ago, larryl said:

The right size

14 hours ago, Dusty256 said:

the one  socket fits ..  

12 hours ago, 2late4u said:

i wanted to comment on this one but i didnt want to be called a smart azz   lol i mean really what a question........

Here's your sign.  :noobie:

• 3 years later...

10 mm... and yep, I know that this an old post. I just changed mine while changing the spark plugs and flushing the heater core. I just bought my 2010 with 128,000 miles. I wasn't getting very much heat so I thought I would get all this done at once since I had the manifold off to get at the back plugs. 

For the curious, I am getting better heat now and noticed that the temp gauge is going a little bit higher now. The new stat is 195 degrees. I ran CLR through the core both ways with a pump. I put an old sock on the discharge hose to catch any debris. There was some but not large chunks that some get on YouTube videos. Not sure if the core has been replaced. I'll probably check in the spring.

• 1 year later...