Hankook Optimo

buffy340

My local tire guy has a great deal going on Hankook Optimos in the 235/50/19 size that Chrysler (according to my research) has "Ok'd" for use on the Journey.

Can anyone in the snowbelt give me some feed back on these tires? Looking at the tread design I have to believe they're going to be better than the stock Kumhos.

Thanks in advance,

Buffy

Although the speedo difference is only 1% (meaning you'll be doing 60.6mph when reading 60mph) wouldn't the tire width be too much and have potential for tire rub when doing a hard turn?

Not from what Ive been told. Which is that Chrysler said that "the 235 is ok" in an effort to give Journey owners more choices.

You can read Hankook Optimo review from consumers here: http://www.tirerack....ireMake=Hankook

Thanks for the link. The problem is that there are so many opinions from so many owners of (again) so many different vehicles.

Im looking for a reasonably priced tire for my Journey LUX AWD and hoped i could find someone who could compare the stock tires to the Optimo's. Im not looking for the worlds greatest tire but hopefully something thats at least a little better in the snow than the stock Kumhos.

Thanks for the link. The problem is that there are so many opinions from so many owners of (again) so many different vehicles.

Im looking for a reasonably priced tire for my Journey LUX AWD and hoped i could find someone who could compare the stock tires to the Optimo's. Im not looking for the worlds greatest tire but hopefully something thats at least a little better in the snow than the stock Kumhos.

If your looking for traction in snow then go with snow tires instead and leave the Kumho's for spring, summer and beginning of fall when traction is really not an issue. Last winter when my wife slid into the curb damaging the wheel bearing that was what I did and I can tell you that the Hankook i-pikes I put on it was worth every penny! Great traction that you will never get from an all-seasonal tire. I don't know if your model comes with 17" tires like mine but the tire shop I dealt with went with the 16" tires which saved me some coin.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

If your looking for traction in snow then go with snow tires instead and leave the Kumho's for spring, summer and beginning of fall when traction is really not an issue. Last winter when my wife slid into the curb damaging the wheel bearing that was what I did and I can tell you that the Hankook i-pikes I put on it was worth every penny! Great traction that you will never get from an all-seasonal tire. I don't know if your model comes with 17" tires like mine but the tire shop I dealt with went with the 16" tires which saved me some coin.

We run snow and ice tires with a different set for summer on my wife's Caliber, I just hate to have to stack, store, flip, and flop with two cars.

My local guy is giving me a phenomenal price on the Optimos so Im really leaning (at least for this year) that way.

Looking at the tread pattern, I have to believe they will be (at least) an improvement, which is really all im looking for right now.

Optimistic on the Optimos;

Buffy

• 1 year later...

I thought they approved 235/55/19 ?

Yes, that's my understanding as well.

On Hankook Optimo 4S: had a set on my Mercury Sable, I live in Toronto. Fantastic tire, never a problem, never got stuck, handled heavy snow well. Nice and smooth in the summer as well, great in rain.

The only All Weather I've been able to find in 225/55/19 is the Yokohama W.Drive.

M.

• 3 years later...

I am proud to say that I've saved enough money to get myself a 2010 Dodge Journey. Now, I have some pretty old tires on it, and I'd really like to get some new ones. Money is not an issue, I just don't want to spend more than $800 on them. I'll be using them to drive around town, and the occasional off-road session, hehe. I just want them to last as long as possible. My mechanic friend told me to get some Hankook tires. Here's a link he provided: Hankook Optimo H724 Review. He told me they're the best tires I could get, but I don't find the article particularly trustworthy, to be honest. Could you guys give me any pointers? Any help is greatly appreciated!

P.S.: I know this is an old thread, but I was searching Hankook Tires on the forums and thought it's better to post a reply here than to create a new thread

1 hour ago, starterpack1 said:

Can anyone help me with this, please?

several posters have said they are good tires, i myself have never had them BUT i just had set of hankook tires installed on my daughters mail jeep and she says they are good... just look at the tire ratings and reviews  go from there .that is what we all do

• 4 months later...