Tire Pressure

redtomatoman

I thought it was the opposite, lower tire pressure for better mpg? Are you guys running air or nitrogen?

The dealer I bought from has nitrogen on all their vehicles, and I've never had it before. Can I top of with regular air or does it have to be topped off with nitrogen? Is there really any benefit to nitrogen?

i run 36 to 38 also use reg air. it does help get better mpg. soft tires will give a softer ride but not better mpg. nitrogen in your tires is supposed to not leak out or have a tighter range of air pressure from cold to hot. yes you can add reg air but then you start to defeat the reasoning of using nitrogen. for me it is a waste of money but everyone has a different view of using it.as i always check my oil, water, and tire pressure about once a week. do not depend on the tpms to alert you to low air pressure as it isnt that reliable till it might be too low.

i run 36 to 38 also use reg air. it does help get better mpg. soft tires will give a softer ride but not better mpg. nitrogen in your tires is supposed to not leak out or have a tighter range of air pressure from cold to hot. yes you can add reg air but then you start to defeat the reasoning of using nitrogen. for me it is a waste of money but everyone has a different view of using it.as i always check my oil, water, and tire pressure about once a week. do not depend on the tpms to alert you to low air pressure as it isnt that reliable till it might be too low.

P.S. if you have had to add air already to one of your tire better keep an eye on it as you might have picked up a small air leak or nail. shouldnt have to add that much unless you have a problem some where, better safe than sorry

• 1 month later...

TPMS is designed to alert you whenever your tire drops 1.9% below the recommended pressure. The one thing that I can say about air pressure is to NOT over or under inflate more than 2-4 PSI of the recommended PSI found on the placard located on the driver's door frame.. Underinflation can cause premature wear on the tread located on the top of the sidewall. Overinflation will cause premature wear to the middle of the treads. If you are found to have been over or under inflating and you have an issue with your tires the tire dealer can deny any claim that you have due to improper maintenance.

-Tire Dept. Manager

• 1 month later...

it's nice having the TPMS + EVIC because you know the exact pressure you have ... i don't have the EVIC so my TPMS is just a idiot yellow light and trigger at 26 PSI.

i run at 35 PSI .. i can tell if my tire are OK by just checking the line of dust on the tire

The TPMS on my vehicle reads out in 1 pound increments (7 or 8 unit steps - it varies - in metric). It is accurate, as far as it goes, but I own a pressure gauge that reads out in 0.1 pound increments and is accurate to 0.1 pounds. That, and because my car parks indoors I can do a cold temp pressure adjustment that is more accurate than the TPMS - then it is a question of watching when the sensors report a change that increments the display.

The placard on my car says 36 pounds all around - I fill to 37 PSI.