Brakes...

Saltydog

Well, just had the front brakes done ...again 19k miles! New rotors and pads, hopfuly they will last a bit longer then 10k. So the new brakes fixed the steering whel shake and all was smooth for a few weeks and now the back are making a hard viberation at high speed! I had the rear brakes done at 3600 miles.....

I sware this thing and brakes!!!

I know what you mean. I've done front's twice and rears once with all new rotors and ceramic pads at 30,000 miles. This last time after doing the brakes, I developed a shake, at highway speeds only, when applying the brakes lightly. My first thought was rotors, but since I did the work myself and know the new rotors got a finish cut, they should have been OK. Went to the tire shop and had them balance the tires and that seemed to fix the problem! Sounds weird, I know, but maybe look at tire balancing if you know the new brakes were done right. I have an 09 R/T with the 19 inch rims.

I know what you mean. I've done front's twice and rears once with all new rotors and ceramic pads at 30,000 miles. This last time after doing the brakes, I developed a shake, at highway speeds only, when applying the brakes lightly. My first thought was rotors, but since I did the work myself and know the new rotors got a finish cut, they should have been OK. Went to the tire shop and had them balance the tires and that seemed to fix the problem! Sounds weird, I know, but maybe look at tire balancing if you know the new brakes were done right. I have an 09 R/T with the 19 inch rims.

I may have them check that. Thanks for the input! :woohoo:

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if this is the same thing but my 2011 Journey has front end binding noises whenever I break moderately/firmly at a stop sign etc. The dealer replaced the front pads but no change. I was asked to drive it for a week & get back to them. The dealer doesn't know what's wrong but says drive it & let us know!!!! Have to re-think my dealer.

Well I had my 2011 Journey R/T in today due to a grinding sound I noticed coming from the front brakes over the last few weeks. I have 19 000 km on it most of which is HWY driving. Dealer just put on new brakes and rotors all around no questions asked, THANKFULLY all was covered under warranty. My concern is that I thought they had changed the brake supplier or whatever due to all the issuses they had previously. This concernes me as my car before a 2008 Avenger R/T, I went through 3 sets of brakes and rotors onand I am not hard on the brakes or a hard driver. The first set being replaced on my Avenger at 22 000km (dealer installed) and not covered by warranty, second at 46 000 km (dealer installed) and the last set (aftermarket and installed myself) at 69 000 km. The last set when I turned in the car still had 60% of the pads left. When I turned in my Avenger it hadd 99 000 kms on it, which means 30 000 kms on the last set of brakes that I put on it...and they still had 60% left on the pads (again these were after market pads). All my other cars I have owned over the years (mostly Dodge or Chrysler) I would get 60 000km out of the breaks...and my driving habits have not changed, well maybe I've calmed down over the years...LOL. Dont get me wrong, I have not had any other problems with my Journey and I love this car. I only hope there will not be continued brake issues with this vehical.

• 3 months later...

I had a similar problem with the right front brake making a noise on braking and the dealership couldn't find any issue. At the 25000 km mark my wife happend to mention there was a slight vibration in the front when braking gently. . .I took it in and the they replaced the front rotors under warranty, I did pay for the normal brake service which was coming due on the next oil change anyway.

I had my rotors replaced (slight shimmy in steering wheel) at 10,000 miles, and now it's back again at 14,000 miles. They are delicate. And like someone said above, I'm not an aggressive driver (at all). I don't follow people close, and I don't do last minute braking.

I am thinking of putting aftermarket rotors on the front. Cross-drilled and vented perhaps.

maybe that will help.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an apoitment tomorrow for my 3rd brake job on my 2010 Journey with 27000 km.

First brake job was at 9000 the second one was at 17000 and now the 3rd is 27000.Have warranty on brakes untill 40000 and then I am screwed.

Other then the brakes my Journey has been good to me so far And I hope it stays that way for a long time.

Well I had my 2011 Journey R/T in today due to a grinding sound I noticed coming from the front brakes over the last few weeks. I have 19 000 km on it most of which is HWY driving. Dealer just put on new brakes and rotors all around no questions asked, THANKFULLY all was covered under warranty. My concern is that I thought they had changed the brake supplier or whatever due to all the issuses they had previously. This concernes me as my car before a 2008 Avenger R/T, I went through 3 sets of brakes and rotors onand I am not hard on the brakes or a hard driver. The first set being replaced on my Avenger at 22 000km (dealer installed) and not covered by warranty, second at 46 000 km (dealer installed) and the last set (aftermarket and installed myself) at 69 000 km. The last set when I turned in the car still had 60% of the pads left. When I turned in my Avenger it hadd 99 000 kms on it, which means 30 000 kms on the last set of brakes that I put on it...and they still had 60% left on the pads (again these were after market pads). All my other cars I have owned over the years (mostly Dodge or Chrysler) I would get 60 000km out of the breaks...and my driving habits have not changed, well maybe I've calmed down over the years...LOL. Dont get me wrong, I have not had any other problems with my Journey and I love this car. I only hope there will not be continued brake issues with this vehical.

Well at 29000 km on my R/T and 10000km after Dodge replaced all four rotors and brakes under warrany they again have rplaced my front rotors due to them again being warpped. Dealer said they still have brake issues with 2011 and up. I am certianly not impressed and I was specifically told when I ordered this vehical that all brake issues had been corrected, by using a new supplier. Apparantly not the case. Anyone else having their brakes replaced at such low mileage intervals? Again I am not hard on brakes and most my travel is HWY.

i had tohave my front rotors turned on my 2011 at about 10 k and have about 21k on it now and i can feel a little shudder when stopping or hitting the brakes at high speed but when reg driving around town i dont feel no shudder at all when stopping,leaving on a trip to vegas and that will add about 5k more and might have to take it back in to the dealer before the warrenty runs out. see what they will do dont want them to be turned again as i think that is part of the problem even being new as they make them to thin now days. if i have a problem and the dealer doesnt want to do anything about it ill just do my own brake job and put on new rotors as i dont have them turned anymore as new ones are usally not that expensive (but that might not be the case on this new of a car). i did my daughters 2007 caravan last week for her and the rotors were only$35. a piece plus brakes and got a $20. discount code off retailme.com for advance auto so her rotors only cost about 25. each and to turn them would have cost at least $10 to 15 each

i had tohave my front rotors turned on my 2011 at about 10 k and have about 21k on it now and i can feel a little shudder when stopping or hitting the brakes at high speed but when reg driving around town i dont feel no shudder at all when stopping,leaving on a trip to vegas and that will add about 5k more and might have to take it back in to the dealer before the warrenty runs out. see what they will do dont want them to be turned again as i think that is part of the problem even being new as they make them to thin now days. if i have a problem and the dealer doesnt want to do anything about it ill just do my own brake job and put on new rotors as i dont have them turned anymore as new ones are usally not that expensive (but that might not be the case on this new of a car). i did my daughters 2007 caravan last week for her and the rotors were only$35. a piece plus brakes and got a $20. discount code off retailme.com for advance auto so her rotors only cost about 25. each and to turn them would have cost at least $10 to 15 each

www.retailmenot.com/coupons/auto is the correct web site works real good in the U.S. not sure about Canada but you get the codes than order online .i only use it for advance auto stores and then go pick it up right after ordering online i just got a new battery for my truck for $68. tax inculded was a 3yr free replacement 8 yr battery. store price was $110. man i feel like a shill for them but hey it saves me alot of money, i do my daughters vans brakes for her she delevers the mail and her brakes only last her 5k miles LOL her oil last longer than that so i get alot of parts there.Theauto zone codes dont really save you much. hope this helps

I had my front rotors changed under warrentee at 13K and just had all 4 rotors changed again under warrentee at 28K...the fronts were a parts wrrentee and the rear they "good willed" because of the ongoing problems. The dealership I go to has a parts.labour warrentee on their work (including brakes) of 1 year unlimited KM...so if the rotors last as long as these first two sets I'll never have to pay for rotors on my Journey...as they will never last the year. I'll sit in a shop for 2 hours a year for free brakes anytime.

i always use Wagner thermo-quiet pads they cost about $60.00 and when replacing rotors have always used advance auto cheapest rotors with all my past 4 grand caravans and never had any problems with the rotors giving me any problems( i would believe the grands and journeys weight about the same or close) and first brake job i would do unless having any problems with rotors i wouldnt even turn or replace the rotors and then the next brake job i replace the rotors. dodge must be using sub standard rotors becuse ive i had to have mine turned by the dealer at about 10k and have 21 k on them now and somtimes i am feeling a slight pluse in the streeing and brake pedal when you have to slow down fast at hwy speeds. i am going on a 5k rd trip and wondering if they will get worse by the time i get back.dont know if i will take it back to the dealer or replace the brakes and rotors my self and see if that takes care of it.

I'm thinking we may have this plague too. 2012 Crew model. At high speed everything is fine. When going slower ~40mph, sometimes the pedal/wheels will shudder. Do you think this is a brake problem? It only happens occasionally (once per week). Definitely doesn't happen that often, but enough to make me want to have the dealer check it out.

Looks like I have the same problem here with the brakes on my 2011 Journey. Unfortunately I didn't bring the Journey to the dealership before 20 000 kms because the vibration seemed to appear about the same time as I installed my new winter wheels and tires so I automatically assumed that was the cause of the problem. After about 3 visits for rebalancing, getting the wheels replaced twice and replacing two of the new tires which took about 2 months to arrive (thanks Canadian Tire), the vibration was still there. At this point winter was almost over so I figured I would just wait until my stock wheels and tires were back on. The problem did not go away after that and I actually noticed a shudder when braking now so I realize that it was most likely a brake problem all along. So now I'm sitting at 33 000 kms with no more warranty and the dealer charges $60 just for the brake inspection and then about $400-$600 for new rear brakes (my vibration is in the seats not in the steering wheel so I'm almost sure it's the rear brakes). I'm not an aggressive driver so it's really frustrating to have a brand new vehicle that's not even a year old and have to replace the brakes already. I contacted my salesman and he said he would look into it and see what he can do. Hopefully they can help me out in some way with this issue. For now I can only wait and hope I guess.

Edited by Dre

Well, my front brakes were changed / machined under warranty. Now at 48000 miles my rear brakes need to be replaced completely including new calipers!!!

Drivers side rear pads has still 5 mm of tread, left side is totally gone, no indication or nothing. Car is in the dealership for oil changes every 2 months, 80% of the driving is highway, no heavy braking. Called with Dodge and they are not willing to do anything. Called with the dealer again and told them that this is unacceptable. We shall see, i do not want to pay $ 800 for the repair.

Had mine done right before my DJ warranty expired...I took it in beause right rear was making noise and steering wheel was shaking. I didnt know only front was covered under warranty, so I had them fix it. When they were done they said that the front wasnt that bad, if i had known i would have had them do the back brakes.

Chrysler was not of any help, there is no regional manager in the Chicago region anymore. Dealer informed to me that they also think that the calipers should last longer then 2 years / 48000 miles. Seems i now need to pay $5 as a copay for the calipers.

Well I have to say I'm really impressed with my salesman / dealership. They said I'm not the first one to come in with the brake complaint. Since there's no recall (yet) and I'm over the warranty period, they're offering to sell me the parts at cost and do the work for free. I'll have to check if there's a 20000 km or 1 year warranty on the new parts though. If they're replacing the old brakes with the same parts and there's no warranty, I'm not sure it would be worth it since I'll most likely have to get everything replaced again within another year.