Dodge Journey Brake Problems

Kate68

Just an update to my situation...car is going back to service due to issue re-occurring. After driving it this past weekend, when applying the brakes in a gradual stop, a grinding noise is present. Appears the noise is coming from the rear, versus the fronts, so possible further replacements of pads.

According to the dealership, the pads were not aligned after the machining of the rotors that were done last month, so the contact was not 100% and thus causing the shuddering noise to re-appear. The recommendation was to replace the brake pads, which they should have recommended at that time. They did offer free labour, but I would have to pay for the parts. I spoke to Dodge Customer Care and also relayed the message to the service manager. They understood my frustration and the fact that it was partially their fault for not recommending the replacement and in turn replaced it for free as a goodwill gesture. Overall, I am satisfied with the outcome, however, only time will tell as to what occurs when I reach the 50K mark.

• 4 weeks later...

ive had many dodge caravans the last 10-15 years and never had any rotor problems like the journeys are having and i checked the curb weight on a 2004 (3838 lbs) vs a 2011 frt wheel drive mainstreet (3793 lbs) and had a extra rotor laying around from my 2007 dodge van that my daughter still drives on her mail route and she wears out a set of wagner thermoquiet pads every 6-8 months due to the stop and go and she hasnt had no warped roters going on 2 yrs as of now. any way i compared that rotor to the ones on my mainstreet and they look the same size. so i dont belive that every one saying that the warping of the rotors are due to the weight of the journeys.dont know what the problems that keep causing the warping but the next time i will replace them myself. the dodge dealer turned mine at 10 k and then replaced them again at 28k both rotors and pads as a one time goodwill service. as of know i have about 49k on the journey and no shuddering or pulsation but started getting a noise when applying the brakes during a really hard rain while driving it and then it went away. keeping my fingers crossed for good luck..

New to the forum and need some help guys. 2011 Journey Crew 23xxx miles on it.It's the wife's ride and when we drove it on vacation I immediately knew we had a problem. Excess pulsing/vibration on the steering wheel when the brakes are applied. Sent Customer care an email. recommended me contact dealer. I contacted dealer no help said it was out of warranty. Whatever, I am going to replace them myself with some aftermarket. I am planning on ordering from brakeperformance.com They offer a set of dimpled and slotted with lifetime warranty for warping that are supposed to resist rust.

Does anyone know the torque specs for the install? I am replacing the front hoping that is the issue. I can order the service manual but its another $80.... Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Wow, really surreal; I had a 2300$ Dodge Journey day.

Just spent 1200$ on 4 disks+pads+labor.

See, the rear pads were both cracked in two places, all 4 disks were stripped to the point of no return.

I only have 60000k on it, and Chrysler had already changed the front disks at no cost at 20000k.

I changed to premium quality grade disks & pads, just as long as it wasn't oem.

Gheez... :nonono:

Oh and add 1100$ Worth of toyo versado CUV's, cuz the Kuhmos were worn out.

Gheez... :nonono:

Edited by frank b

Do you realize that you just paid almost $1000 on labor to install brakes? You can easily get good quality 4 rotors and 4 pads for around $300. It's about a 3-4 hour job do replace all 4 corners.

I don't feel bad for people that complain about the labor costs for things. That's why I do it all myself; saves a lot of money.

i can see your complaint on the brake job price but you did go back to the dealership so you KNEW the price was going to be expensive. BUT you got 60k on your tires and seem to think that was out of line also tires would have been cheaper at a tire store instead of the dealership. ive got 49k on my 17 inch kumos and still got alot of tread left but will replace them before winter because they will be getting low on tread and i dont wont to push to get more miles out of them i would rather have new tires going into the winter time. but 60 k on most tires is a great value....

Do you realize that you just paid almost $1000 on labor to install brakes? You can easily get good quality 4 rotors and 4 pads for around $300. It's about a 3-4 hour job do replace all 4 corners.

I don't feel bad for people that complain about the labor costs for things. That's why I do it all myself; saves a lot of money.

I couldn't agree with you more! There are plenty of youtube video tutorials on replacing brakes and I even posted one here for replacing rear rotors and pads on a 2009 Journey: http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/topic/3467-2009-dodge-journey-replace-rear-rotors-pads-video/?hl=rotors

Hi - I never said I couldn't change brakes, I never complained about the labor cost, I never went back to the dealer for THIS brake job.

I went to the dealer for a brake job the first time they failed me after just a few thousand kms, about 2 years ago. This time, given the quality of the oem disks and the service I got over there I wasn't going back to the dealer so I went to my regular mechanic and installed high quality stuff instead of the oem that clearly isn't worth much.

Also, I can swap brakes myself, please don't patronize me guys. I have a kid with a rare disease and have a demanding job. So I chose not to swap them myself, I don't have 3-4 hours to waste on that these days and i can afford the cost of the job.

Here's my complaint :

I am angry I needed to change 6 rotors in not even 3 years, not that it cost me $.

I am angry that I had to change tires at 45-50000kms, not that it cost me $.

• 1 month later...

I just replaced the brakes on my 2011 Mainstreet @ 25000, miles . Replaced all rotors with CENTRIC products , and the pads with POSI-QUIET Ceramic Pads. Best move I ever made . Super clean with no dust problem. The brakes work great now , awesome stopping power . The brakes that came with the car were just not beefy enough for the weight of the car and subject to warping . Just bite the bullet and replace the rotors and pads with good quality after market products and you won't be sorry.

After the replacement in May if have got them replaced again. 3000 miles after the replacement the vibrations started again. Under warranty, not happy with it, but they fixed it. Got two new tires as well, was really needed, and right front wheel bearing, $240.00 for that excl the labor.

• 5 weeks later...

I have owned Chrysler product since our new 1976 Cordoba.The past two a 2008 Compass and now 2012 Journey have control arms replaced.The Compass one at 25k the other 28k (got rid of it @30k). The Journey had the rt. replaced at 11 months,6500 miles. I never had any suspension problems on any other vehicle. Today went in for oil change 10k 14 months and the rear brakes are junk. Pads on B/O which usually indicates a problem. I was a Chrysler/Dodge parts manager for 35 years in busy dealerships and have not seen this until the end of Diamler. These are my wife's cars and she is not hard on cars.Is it lack of grease fittings or poor quality from overseas suppliers on the control arms? Early brake replacement was usually someone driving with 2 feet or a "highway star". Again is the quality of overseas parts or the brake system poorly calibrated. Cars have had rear disc brakes for years and until recent years i don't ever remember replacing rear pads on anything,the front takes the majority of abuse.Does anyone have a solution or a thought? I see TSB's for older Jouneys on rear brakes

I have owned Chrysler product since our new 1976 Cordoba.The past two a 2008 Compass and now 2012 Journey have control arms replaced.The Compass one at 25k the other 28k (got rid of it @30k). The Journey had the rt. replaced at 11 months,6500 miles. I never had any suspension problems on any other vehicle. Today went in for oil change 10k 14 months and the rear brakes are junk. Pads on B/O which usually indicates a problem. I was a Chrysler/Dodge parts manager for 35 years in busy dealerships and have not seen this until the end of Diamler. These are my wife's cars and she is not hard on cars.Is it lack of grease fittings or poor quality from overseas suppliers on the control arms? Early brake replacement was usually someone driving with 2 feet or a "highway star". Again is the quality of overseas parts or the brake system poorly calibrated. Cars have had rear disc brakes for years and until recent years i don't ever remember replacing rear pads on anything,the front takes the majority of abuse.Does anyone have a solution or a thought? I see TSB's for older Jouneys on rear brakes

My opinion is that Dodge has not stepped up and accept that there's been major issues with the newer Journeys. Unfortunately, maybe due to lack of owners complaining and are accepting the issues may be the cause of no TSBs for our Dodge Journeys. I agree with your statement, it seems it's the poor quality of the brakes themselves that is causing all this grief amongst DJ owners. I'm keeping all my service documents and continue to report all my brake services to Dodge Customer Care to ensure appropriate reporting is done and also maybe my efforts will turn someone's light bulb at HQ and confirm they have a problem!

• 6 months later...

2012 SXT - 21K miles. Purchased vehicle with 19K .... Have become aware of a nasty grabbing when applying brakes in a forceful manner. Gradual braking just fine. But - in those few instances when you

'for sure' need to stab the brakes - the car pitches forward and feels like lock-up. Afraid to do a heavy breaking test at speed - given this reaction at even reduced speed with hard breaking. Past experience with anti lock brakes (many different autos) would result in pulsing of break peddle as anti lock made itself known, with accepted procedure being to keep firm pressure on peddle as opposed to pumping brakes.. Is anti lock system adjustable?

Barry

My opinion is that Dodge has not stepped up and accept that there's been major issues with the newer Journeys. Unfortunately, maybe due to lack of owners complaining and are accepting the issues may be the cause of no TSBs for our Dodge Journeys. I agree with your statement, it seems it's the poor quality of the brakes themselves that is causing all this grief amongst DJ owners. I'm keeping all my service documents and continue to report all my brake services to Dodge Customer Care to ensure appropriate reporting is done and also maybe my efforts will turn someone's light bulb at HQ and confirm they have a problem!

Who is sevicing your cars?

2012 SXT - 21K miles. Purchased vehicle with 19K .... Have become aware of a nasty grabbing when applying brakes in a forceful manner. Gradual braking just fine. But - in those few instances when you

'for sure' need to stab the brakes - the car pitches forward and feels like lock-up. Afraid to do a heavy breaking test at speed - given this reaction at even reduced speed with hard breaking. Past experience with anti lock brakes (many different autos) would result in pulsing of break peddle as anti lock made itself known, with accepted procedure being to keep firm pressure on peddle as opposed to pumping brakes.. Is anti lock system adjustable?

Barry

Antilock brakes only "pulse" when wheel lockup is detected. You wont feel pulsing under normal braking, even "panic" braking unless it gets to the point where the wheel is beginning to lock up. The antilock system is not adjustable.

2011 Dodge Journey here. Hello everyone, I just joined this site. We have been having intermittent ABS/Traction control warning lights coming on recently. I have been surfing this site and others for possible clues. I have been suspecting one of the wheel speed sensors. I took the car to a brake shop to have scanned for possible codes. The shop called within the last hour and told me that the left front wheel speed sensor is defective and it is built in to the hub assembly. I didn't know that. A rough estimate of $350 to take care of it. I'm waiting for final cost as I type this. The history of our Journey is we have replaced the front pads at around 30k and the car does shake when stopping. Our Journey currently is at 56k with the V6. It needs new tires of which are pricey. We love traveling with it. We have a cargo carrier that attaches to the roof rack. I have been thinking about upgrading the brakes pads and rotors after everything that I have been reading on this forum. My wife isn't very happy with the brake situation on these models. She has been researching more that I have on these issues. Lot's of luck.

• 2 months later...
  • Official Dodge Support

brakes that's no prob try this ABS/ESP/BAS lights on have changed the sensors on all wheels but still on and this is the codes that keep coming up Code 1110 Code 1417

Garry McCarthy,

Sorry to hear no long term solution was identified, even after all the sensors were replaced.

Have you been back to your dealer since? I'm not sure what you're driving MY wise but I'd hope this can get resolved soon under warranty.

brakes that's no prob try this ABS/ESP/BAS lights on have changed the sensors on all wheels but still on and this is the codes that keep coming up Code 1110 Code 1417

Year? Mileage? I assume you're talking about a Dodge Journey, but without stating, we don't really know.

• 3 months later...

At 38,000 miles my 2012 R/T needed brakes rotors and tires. The dealership quoted me $409.36 for the front and $472.64 for the back and then 985.00 four Kumhos.

I went to Napa and got their Ultra Premium Rotors and ceramic pads for $363.13. A local tire shop did the installation for $100.

From the same tire dealer I purchased four Pirelli Cinturato p7's for $800 out the door.

Dealer option = $1867

Private installation = 1263 for a total savings of $604 and I assume better parts in every case.

I used to install things myself (long before Youtube by the way), but old age, an artificial hip, and other body issues keep me from doing it these days.

So please guys, go easy on us that have to rely on others to do our labor. JMO

At 38,000 miles my 2012 R/T needed brakes rotors and tires. The dealership quoted me $409.36 for the front and $472.64 for the back and then 985.00 four Kumhos.

I went to Napa and got their Ultra Premium Rotors and ceramic pads for $363.13. A local tire shop did the installation for $100.

From the same tire dealer I purchased four Pirelli Cinturato p7's for $800 out the door.

Dealer option = $1867

Private installation = 1263 for a total savings of $604 and I assume better parts in every case.

I used to install things myself (long before Youtube by the way), but old age, an artificial hip, and other body issues keep me from doing it these days.

So please guys, go easy on us that have to rely on others to do our labor. JMO

Good Job on the savings! If i remember correctly those Napa Rotors comes with lifetime warranty so don't lose that receipt.

• 5 weeks later...

Ive had my 09 DJ SXT for about a month and a half. The first week owning it the front brakes were making squeeling, rubbing and grinding sounds when braking. I brought it back to the dealer and they replaced the rotars, took the brakes apart and back together and tested them and said all is well. I got my DJ back today and not even 30 mins of driving the grinding, rubbing and now high pitch squeeling are back. Does anyone have the same issues? When i bring it back id like to point out what could be the culprit.

Thanks,