TPMS FAILURE

JustDodge

Hot today for western NY 82f ! Just got done reinstalling the original TPM module and went on another "auto learn" drive cycle. ALL wheels are reading and NO EVIC message or warning lite. I put Di- electric grease into the harness plug connectors when putting back together. I'll find out how things do in the morning!

On a side note, my friend GAVE me a sensor tester/programmer scanner as he now has 4 of them. I did an afternoon of "learning" how it works.

Found all 4 wheel sensors are OE brand Schrader sensors and they ALL test good. just don't know if they are original or replacements

Edited by 5rebel9

A further point of observation when I reinstalled the orig. module ......

The metal pins  of the module and corresponding  metal connectors in the harness are extremely small, almost like electronic "gadget" size. Sitting where it does in the LR wheel arch and although protected by the plastic arch liner, there is still much that can affect the harness connection. I noticed a fair amount of dirt/dust accumulation on the parts and the possibility of "greenhouse" humidity/ temp issues being tucked up into the wheel arch as it is. BUT that is just a THEORY on my part.

Edited by 5rebel9

14 hours ago, 5rebel9 said:

Hot today for western NY 82f ! Just got done reinstalling the original TPM module and went on another "auto learn" drive cycle. ALL wheels are reading and NO EVIC message or warning lite. I put Di- electric grease into the harness plug connectors when putting back together. I'll find out how things do in the morning!

On a side note, my friend GAVE me a sensor tester/programmer scanner as he now has 4 of them. I did an afternoon of "learning" how it works.

Found all 4 wheel sensors are OE brand Schrader sensors and they ALL test good. just don't know if they are original or replacements

i was told that  Schrader  was the OEM tpms used by dodge

Yes they are the OE supplier. But there are other aftermarket suppliers that can be used. The tool/scanner I was "gifted" can determine brand   and test all of them, along with programing them when new install. It can even give the part number and serial number of the sensor being "tested" while mounted.

6 hours ago, 5rebel9 said:

A further point of observation when I reinstalled the orig. module ...

Am I to understand that the issue was corrected after you simply reinstalled the original module, and nothing else? What's different now compared to the original state of things?

As you know from my thread, I've changed out the original module for a new one (after swapping tires with no --- position change), yet the problem persists.

I'm game for rechecking the connection at the pins, but don't see how very many contaminants could get inside the connectors with how they mate... ?

My vehicle in question is mainly driven now by my son which he took to work today,{ I have  3 DJ's} He will report how TPMS functioned tomorrow when he gets home. 

But yes the metal wire connectors inside the plastic plug and module body can tarnish and not allow the electrical signal thru on one or more of the 4{?} wires. and that WILL throw codes or "drop out" tire readings. I put Di-electric contact grease into the female connectors of the harness plug and with the combination of recent unplu/replugs must have cleaned up the connections to have things work properly. 

NOT terribly hard work to do, so all I can say is try putting your original back on likewise and also have a tire shop check your sensor with the scanners they have that one just points closely at the wheel SENSOR to see if they all are indeed SENDING signal to the module. The module is the RECIEVER that sends the info to the dash.

You're right, not a difficult task. Just trying to get as much info as possible before proceeding, to minimize wrench time since I have to turn 'em all day at work (as Industrial Maintenance). Thanks for the reply. I think I'll follow your suggestions and report with the outcome, as time permits.

4 minutes ago, Jmgerow said:

You're right, not a difficult task. Just trying to get as much info as possible before proceeding, to minimize wrench time since I have to turn 'em all day at work (as Industrial Maintenance). Thanks for the reply. I think I'll follow your suggestions and report with the outcome, as time permits.

YES please do that. As you have now read on the forum, there are multiple ways any system can malfunction. I now have a wheel sensor scanner just like tire shops use, so I know the wheel sensors ARE working....so on to the next possibility and so forth till the cause is found and fixed. 

They don't call it a diagnostic tree for following for the heck of print space. {when PRINTED shop manuals were the norm}.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2023 at 7:36 AM, 5rebel9 said:

It has only been a day, but SO FAR SO GOOD ! Four drives and 100 miles total driven.

when you access the module did you remove the wheel liner completely or just the top and then bend the liner to access it?, was going to remove the liner but them plastic pin connectors are tough to remove without damaging them,

Edited by 2late4u

1 minute ago, 2late4u said:

when you access the module did you remove the wheel liner completely or just the top and then bend the liner to access it?, was going to remove the liner but them plastic pin connectors are tough to remove without damaging them,

I just bent the top of the liner arch down and worked it down toward the front of the wheel arch until I could SEE and work with the 2 6mm /10mm socket nuts and unplug the connector. My son has NOT REPORTED any more "glitches", BUT he has a LOT GOING ON and LONG work hours.

4 minutes ago, 5rebel9 said:

I just bent the top of the liner arch down and worked it down toward the front of the wheel arch until I could SEE and work with the 2 6mm /10mm socket nuts and unplug the connector. My son has NOT REPORTED any more "glitches", BUT he has a LOT GOING ON and LONG work hours.

thanks,, mine had been working great since they put in the new wheel tpm sensor but my daughters dog ran away yesterday, and i was out driving real slow for about an hr or two and then the left front went blank on the screen and then by the time i got home driving normal speeds it started working okay again,, and then later on i went back out  to look for her dog again and the same thing happened again only the right front side,, and then on the way home at normal speed it started working again correctly, so was going to try to clean the pins and use some dielectric grease like you said you did ...oh well at least that is the plan

5rebel9

19 hours ago, 5rebel9 said:

well i bent the plastic liner down and seen the module and then pushed down on the gray plastic tab to unlock the connector BUT the 2 connectors still did not wanting to come apart, so i pushed on the gray locking tab a little more and it actually fell out of the connector but they still didnt want to come unlatched and i didnt want to ruin the connectors till i ask you if there was a special way to seperate them, i havent removed the two 10 mm bots as i figured it would be easier to get the electrical connection undone that way while it was still attached to the wheel well,,,any advise?

17 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

5rebel9

well i bent the plastic liner down and seen the module and then pushed down on the gray plastic tab to unlock the connector BUT the 2 connectors still did not wanting to come apart, so i pushed on the gray locking tab a little more and it actually fell out of the connector but they still didnt want to come unlatched and i didnt want to ruin the connectors till i ask you if there was a special way to seperate them, i havent removed the two 10 mm bots as i figured it would be easier to get the electrical connection undone that way while it was still attached to the wheel well,,,any advise?

I remove the NUTS {10mm socket} and then used both hands to hold the module and the other to work the connector off, YES a bit snug thanke to dirt/heat in that area. with the module unfastened there is more working room, especially with my huge mitts!

I removed full liner. This tool good for those push in tree style fasteners. Listle brand around $5-6 bucks.

Small jewellery screw driver or pic for the lock tabs on plugs. Some push in, others need to be lifted, finicky. Fragile.  I unbolted first, then removed elect plugs after looking at how locking tab worked.

FD3258EB-1C54-4ECD-A6AD-B5905408F8D3.thumb.jpeg.1bd60f3f6e58f662da8158665fc33961.jpeg

Edited by John/Horace

• 3 weeks later...

Had Discount Tire install two new tires (w/ new sensors) and rotate them all, but problem persists.

The listed dash pressures still don't correspond to the appropriate tires. They did give a print-out with some TPMS diagnostic information, though appears to be the same codes I pulled previously. I've attached what they found.

Still unsure how to proceed from here without spending an exorbitant amount of money at a mechanic.

20230722_120621.jpg

15 minutes ago, Jmgerow said:

Had Discount Tire install two new tires (w/ new sensors) and rotate them all, but problem persists.

The listed dash pressures still don't correspond to the appropriate tires. They did give a print-out with some TPMS diagnostic information, though appears to be the same codes I pulled previously. I've attached what they found.

Still unsure how to proceed from here without spending an exorbitant amount of money at a mechanic.

20230722_120621.jpg

after they did mine ( all 4 of them) they hooked up a different scanner and said they reset them all, but for around 2-3 days after they did that sometimes the light would still come on and then after that they light went off and stayed off i tried to unhook the module in the rear left upper wheel well but it didnt want to come undone for me so i left it and as i said then the light went off and no more problems,,,,,they did tell me that it was best to replace all 4 of the tpms as he said if you just replace the bad ones then sometimes it messes with the computers logic on the psi, dont know if that was true but decided to replace all 4 instead of just the bad ones....

lol I was ready just to put a piece of black tape over the light BUT the wife didnt like that idea   i told her hell i am 70 yrs old and drove cars for 40 yrs without all this fancy crap that is always messing up but as usual she won the argument and it only cost me around $ 300 to get some peace and quiet   LOL

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

had the "Service Tire Pressure system" come up with front left showing --(see attached). I then swapped front left wheel with rear Right wheel went for a  30 minute drive and the front Left is still showing --  (the rest are showing the correct PSI)

This makes me think its the actual TPS Module that is Bung.  Can someone please confirm where this is actual located (i have read left back wheel arch & also Front right wheel arch)

Any info or advise would be appreciated I have purchased  4 new TPSM but I don't see the scene in changing the front left one if the Module is actually broken

Thanks 

Gaz

tire1jpg.jpg

tire2.jpg

19 hours ago, gazjoureny said:

Hi All,

had the "Service Tire Pressure system" come up with front left showing --(see attached). I then swapped front left wheel with rear Right wheel went for a  30 minute drive and the front Left is still showing --  (the rest are showing the correct PSI)

This makes me think its the actual TPS Module that is Bung.  Can someone please confirm where this is actual located (i have read left back wheel arch & also Front right wheel arch)

Any info or advise would be appreciated I have purchased  4 new TPSM but I don't see the scene in changing the front left one if the Module is actually broken

Thanks 

Gaz

tire1jpg.jpg

tire2.jpg

mine did me the same way, drove me crazy for a while as i tried to figure it out and but then it finally went out and I just replaced all 4 TPMS since I had a 2014, that fixed it right away as they batteries were getting low and the shop said the tpm rec module wont act right after they get so low,,,yes it is $$$ but it fixed the problem,,save yourself some $$ from using the parts cannon and just re[place them

34 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

mine did me the same way, drove me crazy for a while as i tried to figure it out and but then it finally went out and I just replaced all 4 TPMS since I had a 2014, that fixed it right away as they batteries were getting low and the shop said the tpm rec module wont act right after they get so low,,,yes it is $$$ but it fixed the problem,,save yourself some $$ from using the parts cannon and just re[place them

i have the same issue for the exact wheel placement. I do know at least 2 of my wheels are not in the correct spot but there was like 2 times where the tpms light actually went off and showed a reading for all 4 tires. but after a day or so it went back to no reading. i did see a lack of sensors for like 15 but not sure since they seem cheap 

2 hours ago, gazjoureny said:

Thanks all, I am due to replace my tires within the next 6 months or so. I will get the tire shop to replace all 4 TPMS then and hope that fixes the issue.

Gaz

it will,,,, what they told me was when the tpms with the low battery gets so low, even if you move it to a different position the tpms module still remembers the last position it was in

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

update: got 4 new tires and got 4 new sensors from eBay ($60 aud)  fitted today and the issue is now fixed. 

thanks to all for assistance. I don’t use this forum as often as I should, but when I do it always provides the answer.

9 years and 120000km it’s still the best car I have ever owned ?

IMG_3009.jpeg