Looking for some assistance.  A few months ago I purchased a used 2012 Dodge Journey RT with factory remote start.  I have used it occasionally since, but was really looking forward to it when our colder weather hit (I am in Canada).  Now that it is cooler in the mornings I have been attempting to use the remote start, but the vehicle will not start.  When I go out it says Remote Start disabled, use pedal to start car.  Do it and car starts fine.  Now for the rest of the day, remote start works.  First start of the morning, always disabled.  This defeats the purpose of me having remote start.  It was so my vehicle could be warming while I finish getting ready for work.  I have my original fob and a brand new fob, but it does not matter which one I use.  Can anyone help this poor girl who just wants to get into a warm car?  Thanks!

A number of possible causes to check out to find a fix.

First, is the check engine light turned on on the dash when you drive the car? IF so then this sets a code for diagnosing a problem AND will disable remote start function.

Next, there is a hood safety switch that disables remote start if it is not working properly(out of adjustment) as you say  remote start works the rest of the day works .

Moved to the correct section. Your owners manual will describe the various situations in which the remote start will be disabled. If you don't have an owners manual, they are available for free. Just google your year. Welcome to the forum. 

Edited by jkeaton

Canadian Journey come with factory block heater. Using a timer they are a bit more cost/environmentally friendly for fast warm up in extreme cold. But you need 120 outlet access and yeah not as convenient. Running engine for minute or two is better for oil lubricated mechanical component live span. 

The switch under hood could be jumpered with a piece of wire temporarily to see if it’s the problem source. Wire harness feed from switch needs to send proper value signal.  Not an expensive item, easy diy fix.

I have no check engine light on.  The fuel is always kept at a minimum half tank.  I did notice that when I exited the vehicle the other day that my 4 ways blinked when I opened my drivers door.  Is this normal?  Could this be a clue as to why the remote start seems to be disabled?  I appreciate all the help from you guys!

As you probably know you must press the door lock button and then the remote start button. Are you sure that ALL doors are locking properly? without the fob near the car, you may want to check all the doors to confirm they are indeed locked. 

As already posted, there are a number of possible causes for your problem, you've answered to a couple of those. Time to do some further checking and report back, as this is not a common complaint to not work the first time but will work later after use.

There are dozens of reasons why remote start won’t work. No check engine light doesn’t mean there aren’t any codes.

Get someone with an obd scanner to check and gives any codes if they show up.

The hood switch is most common thing to disable remote start. It’s on passenger side right up close to grill, mounted on sheet metal. Try cycling a few times then hold it down firmly and press start button twice. It might not be getting enough pressure. Looks similar to switch in picture, without the bulb. Could have dirty contacts, contact cleaner spray might help.

I don’t think 4 ways flashing is related, but it’s possible.

3B8CC81F-EE78-407D-8D3F-FD796D5EA30E.jpeg.0c5facf022f9a43615dd0bfea3ce7105.jpeg

Edited by John/Horace