Dodge Journey 2009 won’t start, spinning but engine won’t engage

So my 2009 Dodge Journey SXT 3.5L broke down on my way to Vegas last weekend. I was driving on the highway, engine light came on and I pulled over immediately and then car came to a stop. 

To give some background information:

About a week prior to leaving for Vegas my car wouldn’t start but closer to where I live (this was the 1st time). It wouldn’t start and battery barely held a charge so my husband and I towed it. We were told it could be a bad alternator so he swapped it out and car was working fine.

Fast forward to the following week, we drove to Vegas and car stopped again. when we’d try to start it it would just click click click. So husband swapped out battery with brand new one and still no luck. He also swapped out starter and the click click became a spinning sound like the starter is spinning but it can’t engage the engine. Engine light is still in as well. 

if car is spinning while trying to start but won’t engage, what could it be? Did he put the starter on wrong? 

Have you made actual progress that there is now electrical power to things, as you post of starter spinning? Now have someone work the key and see if the alternator belt and engine pullies are also spinning with the starter engaged. IF not then yes it could be a starter problem. IF YES and it spins fast with no effective compression resistance of a normal startup, you need to take the TIMING BELT cover back off and see if the belt is rotating with starter engaged. IF not then you have a broken/ stripped tooth cog timing belt that I warned you of in your initial posting.

2 hours ago, 5rebel9 said:

Have you made actual progress that there is now electrical power to things, as you post of starter spinning? Now have someone work the key and see if the alternator belt and engine pullies are also spinning with the starter engaged. IF not then yes it could be a starter problem. IF YES and it spins fast with no effective compression resistance of a normal startup, you need to take the TIMING BELT cover back off and see if the belt is rotating with starter engaged. IF not then you have a broken/ stripped tooth cog timing belt that I warned you of in your initial posting.

I used the OBD scanner and it’s not showing any codes tho. No timing belt or engine light code. Nothing 

When a cars electrical system is totally drained as you posted of yours doing then normal level scanners will not read any codes as the computer erases(from power disconnected). Only a high level scanner that can read history codes (more than pending/current/permanent codes) can bring codes up that would help figure things out. Other than crank or cam sensor related codes would "clue you into a Timing Belt problem 

Just what lights came on when the car started to die (but was still running) during your trip? There is the oil pressure (red oil can), Battery light and the Check Engine Light(yellow).

AND you did NOT answer ANY of the suggestions posted to be able to help you any further.

Edited by 5rebel9

6 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

guess RayRay needs to have this journey towed to a Qualified garage to figure out the problem as trying to help over the internet is NOT going anywhere with this poster...good luck on getting it fixed

Agreed! and if read by RayRay it needs to be a flatbed and not traditional tow truck being the car is an AWD model.

1 hour ago, 5rebel9 said:

Agreed! and if read by RayRay it needs to be a flatbed and not traditional tow truck being the car is an AWD model.

I’m trying my best. My mind is all over the place right now. We’ve tried almost everything to get this car running. And half the things u throw out are MAYBES or things we can do out here on 110 degree heat in the middle of nowhere. So please bear with me.

7 hours ago, 5rebel9 said:

When a cars electrical system is totally drained as you posted of yours doing then normal level scanners will not read any codes as the computer erases(from power disconnected). Only a high level scanner that can read history codes (more than pending/current/permanent codes) can bring codes up that would help figure things out. Other than crank or cam sensor related codes would "clue you into a Timing Belt problem 

Just what lights came on when the car started to die (but was still running) during your trip? There is the oil pressure (red oil can), Battery light and the Check Engine Light(yellow).

AND you did NOT answer ANY of the suggestions posted to be able to help you any further.

The engine light only 

10 hours ago, 5rebel9 said:

Yes there are electrical power to things now. Everything inside works and now car spins when trying to start. Alternator belt is spinning. Not sure if engine pulleys are spinning. But my husband did he get under car to see if engine spins and it did. How do we see if engine pullies are spinning on engine? 

Edited by Ray Ray

10 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Yes there are electrical power to things now. Everything inside works and now car spins when trying to start. Alternator belt is spinning. Not sure if engine pulleys are spinning. But my husband did he get under car to see if engine spins and it did. How do we see if engine pullies are spinning on engine? 

Well it is then NOT a starter motor problem if therngine is spinning(but won't start)

Rather than try and explain it, I suggest you check out YOUTUBE for a video of Dodge 3.5 engine TIMING BELT. You may come across ones for the Dodge Charger, and that's a good one. SAME motor, just mounted in the car differently. 

IF you are leaving the car for prolonged times between working on it and posting here, disconnect the neg wire on the strut tower to keep battery from draining if you have draws from the before noted glove box light and door situation.

Edited by 5rebel9

I've been doing my best to bear with you through all of this. Particularly about the BIG difference between the Serpentine (alternator belt) and checking the Timing belt which is enclosed in plastic covers low on the motor on passenger side. IF that belt has stripped off cog teeth or snapped, there is NO GOING FORWARD to get the motor running.

As we can not see your car to tell you just what is needed, these BASIC checks(even tho difficult for a novice) HAVE to be done.