Power completely shuts off

I have a 2014 Dodge Journey RX I bought about 2 months ago and I just noticed a strange and possibly dangerous thing it is doing. Out of nowhere the car will just lose all power and turn off and I will have no power brakes or steering or anything else. 

I have narrowed down the problem but not sure what the root cause is. Just under the hood to the left of the fuse box there is a battery cable that has a red cap on it which I believe runs down to the actual battery (see pic). If I even just touch this lightly, all the power comes back on and the car is fine again for a while. If I were to touch it while the car was running, it would lose power immediately.

I have checked this cable and it appears to be tight under the red cap, but from there I don't know as the battery is buried so deep in the motor no normal person can get at it. I don't want to mess with it too much as all I need is to fry the computer or something.

The reason I even found out about this is I had to disconnect the cable once to reset the computer as the phone wasn't working. 

Anyone here hear of this or know if it is just a cable issue, or is there something else brewing.

Thanks,

Beauford

download.jpg

2009-dodge-journey-se-in-silver-engine-B31RYJ.jpg

I'm not the strongest man on the planet, but it is tight. I will check it in the morning again just to be sure. This is the first car I have ever owned that is not 20 years old and couldn't care less about, so I am kind of being a bit careful.

If you using a metal wrench on the positive terminal, be careful not to make contact with metal car part anywhere.

You will arc out battery with a dead short, sparks and maybe damage something. Wrap end of wrench or keep hand over end while tightening. Like 5rebel9 is saying, must not be tight enough. It’s like battery terminal post, after tightening always try to twist with gloved hand. Should not be any movement in either direction. Add a lock washer if normal torque not tightening connection.

I just remembered, the type nut that is used for the jumper post positive and negative cables are a "squished" top SELF LOCKING NUT. they start easy like a normal nut, but increase in turning effort as the stud threads near the top of the nut. This is to prevent the nut from coming loose on its own from any vehicle vibrations. 

AND probably why you feel the nut is "tight:.

The nut is certainly tight enough, but now I can't get it to run at all. There is also a yellow wire with an inline fuse that goes under the vehicle somewhere, not sure what it is or if it has anything to do with things.  Calling Dodge dealer now.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2021 at 9:18 AM, Beauford said:

The nut is certainly tight enough, but now I can't get it to run at all. There is also a yellow wire with an inline fuse that goes under the vehicle somewhere, not sure what it is or if it has anything to do with things.  Calling Dodge dealer now.

well it sure didnt come from the factory with an inline fuse,why not follow where the wire goes to?is the fuse blown as well?