Alternator, Battery, ETC....HELP PLEASE!!

This weekend I changed the alternator on my wife 2017 Journey. While I was at it I changed the battery as well. Everything went perfect! Took it around the block and it run great.  This morning on the way to work her Lightening Bolt come on (Electronic Throttle Control). After reading numerous comments about having to have it reset after a Battery Alternator switch,  I figured I'd come here to see if anyone knew such a way to do it rather than having it towed to the dealer.  They are making it to where you cannot work on your own car anymore.  Hopefully someone has a pedal hack for this!!

My, a lot of work for giving no background as to WHY all this was done.

If you did all this to try and turn out the "lightning bolt" light.....well that is a outright warning light for the THROTTLE BODY.

What motor size and did you have it scanned for OBD11 codes?

And check the electrical connections to the throttle body.

Edited by 5rebel9

Hi Rebel... the alternator was bad,  so while I was replacing it I decided to go ahead and replace the battery and the belt.  Just so I didn't have to come back to it 6 months from now. The ECU light was not in prior to replacing these items.  After reading of problems with the ECU after chasing the battery i figured i would come here to see if anyone knew of a way to reset it.

There is no "reset" for when the Throttle control light comes on. It means something has gone amiss in the throttle body. I take it you have the 2.4 4 cyl.  engine?  

Not knowing how many miles on the DJ, many times checking and cleaning the TB and making sure all hoses and electrical hook ups are good will turn that light out by itself. I don't know of any other way possible for that to be extinguished, as that warning light is a "stand alone" warning light of problem for that specific item.

The TB is known to wear(multiple gear driven throttle butterfly actuator) and cause the light to come on. It would not hurt to have even an Autozone type parts store do a free scan for you just to be sure nothing is "lurking" in computer memory that would indicate troubles.

Sorry,  yes it's the 2.4 liter motor.  I called my local Chrysler dealer about it.  They said that on some vehicles the ECU would have to be reset by computer after a replacement of the battery and/or alternator.  They do it by computer.  He suggested I come to a forum to see if anyone had figured out an hack. Thank you for replying to me!

3 minutes ago, Smitty21 said:

Sorry,  yes it's the 2.4 liter motor.  I called my local Chrysler dealer about it.  They said that on some vehicles the ECU would have to be reset by computer after a replacement of the battery and/or alternator.  They do it by computer.  He suggested I come to a forum to see if anyone had figured out an hack. Thank you for replying to me!

Well there is the old "standby" of disconnecting the Negative wire from the jumper post on the drivers front strut tower for 10-15 minutes and then hooking back up. But I don't think this is the needed "fix" to the light problem. Good Luck and let us know how you get this "worked out".

22 hours ago, Smitty21 said:

never heard that about reset after replacing a battery or alt, also the rebel is right about the TB on the 2.4 i have read about it over on the patroit blog as that is the engine my daughter has in her mail vech. and a lot of TB being replaced due to that problem, i would replace it if i was you

I’ve replaced alternator and battery on several Journey vehicles. All plug and play, alternator does adjust output but it does it on its own without programming.There is a switch at negative terminal wiring that probably communicates with ecm.

When alternator died Journey was driven for several miles until car shut itself off completely with dash lite up like Christmas tree with voltage warning, alternator  and low battery symbols. Battery recharged and dealer  rebuilt alternator put in by me, zero issues on start up, no warnings or issues since. Factory alternator is made by Denso on 3.6 engine, one of the better manufacturers of car parts. Lexus and Acura use them.