Multiple weird things with my 2012 Journey

mcornelius

Today my 2012 Dodge Journey won't start.  The brake pedal won't depress so the car won't start.  Tried to start it several times.  Lights on the dash come on, radio works one time but not another,  wipers work, headlights work, lights on the console are now blinking.  Code signs come on then blink off.  Locks work.  I'm having it towed tomorrow for a possible battery.  Which, of course, we can't change ourselves since it's hidden in the front driver's side wheel well.  

This car has had several weird things happening over the years.  I bought it new in 2012.  After a few years the sound on the radio would stop working.  I figured out that if I stopped the car, turned it off, opened and closed my door, the radio would work again.  It looked like it was working, but the sound would not work.  It happened intermittently so, of course, it wouldn't do this at the dealership. 

Then, the air conditioner and heater won't flow in the direction I choose.  If I set the flow to feet and body, the air will only flow to the windshield.  I have to keep pushing the buttons for the air flow until I get at least air flowing from the console (above the radio) but no where else.  AND, the heat will come out of the driver side vents - including only the left half of the vents above the radio and the one by the driver's door - and not at all on the passenger side.  The air from the right (passenger) half of the vent above the radio and the passenger vent by the door is cold while the vents on the drivers side are warm.  The vents in the back seat work fine.   

I think it's time I posted this on FB Marketplace!

From what you posted... that's amazing that those were your only problems in 8+ years. I'm betting the battery change will help with your current issues, and reading through the forum can definitely help with your vent issues. The radio issue, may be the gremlins people talk about in here. 

Guessing you finally decided to join to get some advise... welcome. The search button is your friend. 

Is it not hard to change your battery yourself, just takes a little more time.  Make it easier and remove the tire first, remove wheel well liner the battery is right there. Soak the battery bracket nut with penetrating oil and let it sit a little while before loosening it. Now if the store offers to change the battery for you with the sale, jump on that for sure ! 

2 hours ago, probak118 said:

Is it not hard to change your battery yourself, just takes a little more time.  Make it easier and remove the tire first, remove wheel well liner the battery is right there. Soak the battery bracket nut with penetrating oil and let it sit a little while before loosening it. Now if the store offers to change the battery for you with the sale, jump on that for sure ! 

I concur as well....

3 hours ago, probak118 said:

Agreed, change the batt, and consider swapping the alternator. I've gone through 2 batteries in 65k miles on my 2011. and changed my alternator at 90k miles. 

As far as making the battery change easy? 
My advice is to use WD40 on the plastic fasteners to make them easier to remove... 
Then if the Penetrant can't free the battery hold-down bolt,then break the bolt off and use 12-18 zip ties to hold it down. 10/10 backyard shade tree mechanic approved.