Performance upgrades

Fafa

Hi  my gf has a 16 journey she loves so buying a different  car is out of the picture. she wants to do some performance to it. it is the 3.6l need some ideas plz

Edited by Fafa

I think a K&N filter would pick up a couple of horses, but nothing you can feel. If you were to go to a reputable exhaust shop, you could have them upgrade all the pipes to 2.5" with high flow mufflers and pick up another couple of horses. Overall, there isn't much aftermarket support for these vehicles, unfortunately. 

The same 3.6 engine in Ram 1500 has 305 HP, Journey is 283 and 260 ft/pds torque.

Probably different injectors, tuning parameters in ecm different. Might be able to have that changed, would not be cheap and if gov smog tests the catalytic converters might also need changing to pass annual test. Need to check with performance shops.

The RWD 3.6 applications get different intake manifolds, exhaust routing, and a different tune. That's how they squeak out the extra horses. It proves there's more hidden in the Journey's 3.6, but there's no easy way to get to it. Not without aftermarket support. 

On 8/20/2020 at 3:23 PM, OhareFred said:

I have a K&N in my 09. Not worth it, doesn’t do a thing for mpg or hp that I can see. In fact, thinking of pitching it and getting a regular disposable one.

Recharge the filter my 09 has hp gains and fuel savings. Also run a tank of premium in it monthly and do a full sea foam treatment gas oil and intake 

On 8/20/2020 at 1:11 AM, Fafa said:

Hi  my gf has a 16 journey she loves so buying a different  car is out of the picture. she wants to do some performance to it. it is the 3.6l need some ideas plz

Bigger throttle and better mafs better fuel injectors chop the resonators off the air intake tube and wrap it with header tape to get rid of excess motor heat swap to a k&n rechargeable filter or just under drive the motor 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2013 Chrysler 200S which uses the same drivetrain as the Journey. The K&N kit for an Avenger will probably work on the Journey but might require minor modification. The intake doesnt do much for the low end or cruising except maybe a little noise (it does sound good tho) but the gains come from higher rpm when the cam phasers kick in and the engine really starts to breathe. Above 4k rpm the you can feel the pull and the sound absolutely howls.

Several aftermarket suppliers offer tunes and lower intake manifolds that are ported. The 80mm throttle body is also a popular mod.

The 3.6 really responds best to exhaust mods but the RWD  models get the benefit of getting true duals. My 200 vert is saddled with a single pipe but you can go with a larger pipe and I went with a Magnaflow resonator and muffler. It'll make more power with free flowing exhaust but the trade-off is how much noise can you tolerate?

With the intake and exhaust mods, a tune will take full advantage of those changes.