2012 journey

Hello everyone , We have a 2012 Journey STX that kills the battery if not used every day , battery is dead after car sits approx. 2 days and no-one can figure it out. Dealer disconnected the hands free device , We have replaced the alternator but still have the same issue . We have gone through 6 batteries in 15 months .   HELP!!! 

Edited by Fred Odette

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a real pain and expensive. Isn’t it weird that doctors and lawyers are allowed to practise but mechanics are supposed to know what their doing. Although yours doesn’t appear to.

You need a multi meter so you can see amperage draw when the car is off. There is a go to sleep function that after it times out (around 5 mins) should just show digital clock power consumption  of approx 50-80milli amps with car not running. After that You will need to remove fuses one at a time and see what makes the biggest drop off. Most common is usually radio unit tied to a delayed off function.

Another option is an automotive electrical technician, jimbos auto lube places not always great for finicky electrical...although sometimes they can surprise you and out smart a dealership. 

Are there any non factory electrical ad ons installed on vehicle?

Edited by John/Horace

Dealer and my local mechanic have both done what you say about tracing the draw and have gotten the draw down to what they said was normal . In 3-4 days we are right back to square one with a dead battery. Dealer say they got it when they disconnected the hands free but after charging me 250.00 the problem was right back after a few days. 

The car is currently at my mechanic (I have used him for the last 15 years) and has been there for 2 days , they are trying to find that draw.

I am wondering if anyone else has this very aggravating issue.

Thanks

• Official Dodge Support
16 hours ago, Fred Odette said:

Dealer and my local mechanic have both done what you say about tracing the draw and have gotten the draw down to what they said was normal . In 3-4 days we are right back to square one with a dead battery. Dealer say they got it when they disconnected the hands free but after charging me 250.00 the problem was right back after a few days. 

The car is currently at my mechanic (I have used him for the last 15 years) and has been there for 2 days , they are trying to find that draw.

I am wondering if anyone else has this very aggravating issue.

Thanks

Hello Fred,

Sorry to hear about your recurring concerns, if you decide to take it back to the dealer we could possibly offer additional assistance. Just send us a DM if you do.

Lamar 

DodgeCares

My Mechanic called and says they found the issue and it is the Computer that is malfunctioning . They are looking for replacement . I trust they know what they are doing as they have been servicing my vehicles for the past 15 years.

1 hour ago, Fred Odette said:

My Mechanic called and says they found the issue and it is the Computer that is malfunctioning . They are looking for replacement . I trust they know what they are doing as they have been servicing my vehicles for the past 15 years.

please report back after the repair and also later on to say weather this fixed your problem ,also which computer for others that might have this problem..good luck

What did you ask from them?  Not sure if you heard, but there is a pandemic going on.

How long have you owned the piece of crap?  The car is 8 years old, so very possibly no warranty, (mine is a 09 I bought in 08) unless you have a lifetime warranty it’s going to cost to fix. Hell, I have a  Lifetime MaxCare and FCA Powertrain warranties, I still have to pay for a new timing belt tomorrow (Around $800 US). Did you want the dealer to fix it for free? It sounds like your guessing and throwing expensive parts at it and upset because it’s not fixed.  You need to find a mechanic that specializes in newer car electronics to track it down.  It won’t be cheap, but they should be able to find it.  Or trade it in for a different car...

Edited by OhareFred

22 minutes ago, OhareFred said:

What did you ask from them?  Not sure if you heard, but there is a pandemic going on.

How long have you owned the piece of crap?  The car is 8 years old, so very possibly no warranty, (mine is a 09 I bought in 08) unless you have a lifetime warranty it’s going to cost to fix. Hell, I have a  Lifetime MaxCare and FCA Powertrain warranties, I still have to pay for a new timing belt tomorrow (Around $800 US). Did you want the dealer to fix it for free? It sounds like your guessing and throwing expensive parts at it and upset because it’s not fixed.  You need to find a mechanic that specializes in newer car electronics to track it down.  It won’t be cheap, but they should be able to find it.  Or trade it in for a different car...

We have had this Dodge for 14 months and it has been in the shop every 3 weeks since , It has 92000 km. on it and I just found out it has an 8 year or 100,000 km. emissions warranty.

We had to have the catalytic converter replaced 3 weeks ago and now we need an all new TIPM. Both should have been covered under the warranty but because my local mechanic did the repairs and not the dealer (who I don't trust) I am SOL. and last I heard you can't get covid over the phone.

Edited by Fred Odette

Can you  try to recover your cost for the cat?  I know when the dealer replaced my heater hoses they said it wasn’t covered but it was.  I sent the receipt to the warranty company and got back all but $100, which is my deductible. Is your mechanic a Certified Repair Facility?

Did you buy the car at a dealer or private party?  Were there any maintenance records? Did you get a car fax report? Is there only 1 CDJR Dealer you can get to?  If something was hidden from you you may have legal recourse, but it may be more costly than it’s worth.

You never did say what you were trying to get FCA to do.  And no, you can’t get COVID over the phone, but when the call center usually has 100 call takers and now has 50, working from home, your lucky the call was answered.  You think FCA is bad, wait till you try UConnect!

Edited by OhareFred