Power steering line

New member so hi and all that jazz. 

13 journey recall complete but the power steering line keeps blowing up. it keeps blowing up on the passenger side just after the crimp in the 8inch section of rubber before it joins up to the whole cooler line system. 

My quick and dirty fix instead of buying the 600.00 cooler and all was to cut out the crimped end flare it and add my own rubber line for the 8 inches. How ever I'm now on #5 of blow out. I'm using 500psi hose so I have no idea what's going on. The clamps are tight so it's not the hose coming off its rupturing in the middle

Recall work done some years ago on my 2012, not an issue prior to the recall and never an issue since. How is it that you are constantly having an issue ? There must be some other contributing factor. Being in the western provinces you have far colder winter for longer continuous periods, was that not the issue in this recall cold weather conditions ? How high of pressure rated hose can you go with while maintaining proper ID and OD ? 

^^^What he said^^^

There are plenty of Dodges on the road, both older and newer, that do not have this problem so this is not a "all Dodges are junk" issue. The system can and does work for the majority. You must have another factor involved.

Given the region in which you live, is it possible that the PS fluid is incorrect or contaminated? Do you have a freeze problem? Are the lines improperly routed causing rubbing, stress, or strain? Do you have an environment component that may be physically contacting the line and causing damage from the outside?

Just throwing ideas out that might be unique to your situation.

Manifold cobra 500:psi hose and regular splice not good enough. 

Hydraulic  power steering can peak at a little over 2000 psi for a few seconds, google it.  A hydraulic shop can do a special splice that will hold, with metal or Kevlar strand reinforced  hose . Even princess auto is set up for custom fabricated pieces.

Power steering   pumps have built in pressure relief valves so when  steering  held at full lock lines don’t blow. It’s possible your pump has an issue,  decent mechanic shop would have ability to measure system pressure. Rockauto has hoses and  cooler and it’s not $600 for parts.

1 hour ago, Manifoldcobra said:

John

It's the low pressure line that's splitting so I'm not sure how much pressure is running in that one. I've got a 5100 psi hose made up and ready to install

make sure you report back how it works for other posters that might have this problem, glad i live where its a lot warmer when we get a real bad cold snap mine will let out a squeal but thats the worst iv had.

If made up means double gear clamps, good luck. Even return line is probably 150 plus psi, and gear clamps back off over time.

Rough roads and cold weather rattles stuff loose, even parts with rubber component.

My 2014 line was changed two years ago under recall, it wasn’t leaking at 123k yet. The new one has a coating of fluid Film rust protectant on it.

• 1 month later...