41TES Transmission Oil + Filter Change

eneusiis

I have a 2012 Dodge Journey 2.4L w/ 4 Speed Auto Trans 41TES.    I just crested the 100,000 mile mark and time for the trans fluid.  Luckily,  this setup still has a dipstick, which most do not these days.  Found it funny that they give you a dipstick, but don't list the capacity in the owners manual!  WTF...... anyways.  I checked Amsoil website and it indicated:  

CAPACITIES: 4.2 quarts Initial Fill 
4 speed 41TES Total Fill 9.2 quarts   

I am planning on dropping the pan, replacing the filter and seal.  I assume I would be replacing the 4.2 quarts of trans ATF+4 fluid as the remaining fluid is in the converter correct? I will of course measure what ever comes out and replace that exact amount, but looking for confirmation for my shopping list.   

Thanks, 

Eric 

I’ve done the 6 speed tranny fluid but not dropped the pan on a dodge 4 Speed yet.

I agree oem mopar parts is way to go if not crazy price; guaranteed proper fit worth a little more money IMO.

AMF+4 in jugs a little cheaper, if not dealer then good after market brand Iike Castrol.

Buy extra fluid; I like to use manual suction pump a few days after pan drop and replace another 4 litres. Hose fed down through dipstick and it only takes 10 mins to remove used oil. Now most oil is changed out.

4 speed uses pan gasket not silicone, so no over night drying needed, also kinda nice.

If pan-has a little donut shaped magnet , clean it off and reuse it. Use 1/4” ratchet and don’t over torque those little fastners,  use torque wrench if you have one, approx setting 100 inch pounds. 

Make sure to clean off surface where pan gasket goes, scotch bright or sandpaper to remove all of old gasket. After oil change and truck started, shift through all gears then back to park. Read dip stick info, it may say to measure fluid in neutral, use parking brake. Fluid temp matters, H for hot or full engine temperature. Low level can cause cavitation, damage tranny, accurate level matters.

Messy job....good luck.

No dipstick for the 6 speed is no big deal. Dorman sells a dipstick with markings on it and a temperature chart. I think rockauto sells it still. Pics of dipstick kitE169E59F-B05A-4B95-939C-594F3E819D18.thumb.jpeg.b10cfaaeb4a533206e08795a36cf0c04.jpegEE0914B8-4356-4F79-AC95-9696F4807691.thumb.jpeg.dfd4d28263a8a890a070ad75d6247317.jpeg and cheapo Harbour Freight type oil suction pump, very handy $15 item.

1 hour ago, John/Horace said:

I’ve done the 6 speed tranny fluid but not dropped the pan on a dodge 4 Speed yet.

I agree oem mopar parts is way to go if not crazy price; guaranteed proper fit worth a little more money IMO.

AMF+4 in jugs a little cheaper, if not dealer then good after market brand Iike Castrol.

Buy extra fluid; I like to use manual suction pump a few days after pan drop and replace another 4 litres. Hose fed down through dipstick and it only takes 10 mins to remove used oil. Now most oil is changed out.

4 speed uses pan gasket not silicone, so no over night drying needed, also kinda nice.

If pan-has a little donut shaped magnet , clean it off and reuse it. Use 1/4” ratchet and don’t over torque those little fastners,  use torque wrench if you have one, approx setting 100 inch pounds. 

Make sure to clean off surface where pan gasket goes, scotch bright or sandpaper to remove all of old gasket. After oil change and truck started, shift through all gears then back to park. Read dip stick info, it may say to measure fluid in neutral, use parking brake. Fluid temp matters, H for hot or full engine temperature. Low level can cause cavitation, damage tranny, accurate level matters.

Messy job....good luck.

No dipstick for the 6 speed is no big deal. Dorman sells a dipstick with markings on it and a temperature chart. I think rockauto sells it still. Pics of dipstick kitE169E59F-B05A-4B95-939C-594F3E819D18.thumb.jpeg.b10cfaaeb4a533206e08795a36cf0c04.jpegEE0914B8-4356-4F79-AC95-9696F4807691.thumb.jpeg.dfd4d28263a8a890a070ad75d6247317.jpeg and cheapo Harbour Freight type oil suction pump, very handy $15 item.

i did the same for my daughters caravan that she used on her mail route she was to cheap to have the filter and fluid changed so every oil and filter change i did for her i would suck out 2 quarts of trans fluid and put some new back in started out the fluid was kind of dark but after 3-4 changes the trans fluid color was looking nice and red again and she never knew she was paying for it,LOL i do work cheap for her

I also maintain vehicles for kids. On a short visit it’s like NASCAR pit crew repair routine. Tranny often overlooked for maintenance with the “sealed unit” dealer selling concept. No dip stick  means forget about it; ... can get expensive.

The full synthetics definitely last longer, but eventually the additives wear out. It’s not necessarily that the oil is dirty or contaminated. New oil is better than unknown snake oil  additives IMO. 

On the journey six speed it was quite easy to suck out almost exactly four litres with manual pump . A little less  volume on the 4 speed. 
New ATF+4 oil even from dealer not expensive compared to tranny rebuild.

Some vehicles the pan filter has a magnet built into it (Hyundai sometimes).  Makes it more important to drop pan and change whole unit in that case

• 2 months later...
On 2020-02-14 at 3:39 AM, Appalachian Journey said:

Mine took a tad over 4 quarts. Purolator filter, Mopar ATF+4 fluid, Mopar MS-GF41B RTV. For whatever reason fluid leaked past the RTV so I cleaned it off and used a Felpro TOS 18687 gasket. No leaks 70,000 miles later. Easy job this.  

That is just what is in the transmission filter pan only, mine was about 5 quarts; then there is the fluid still in the torque converter, the cooler near the rad and the lines. I was told about 11 liters total in the 6 speed. So after initial drain in fill ; waited a day sucked another 4 quarts from the "service only" tube of darker fluid and filled exact amount with new. Next day did that again and now fresh looking red fluid again. so I do not think 4-5 quarts out of the filter pan is a full fluid change ? I could be wrong too ?

Over the counter RTV needs to dry over night at reasonable temperature before you refill fluid, or it will leak.

Transmission shops have a special sealer that does set really quick so they don’t have to do that.  Trade transmission parts supply places  will sell it, very pricy I hear. Same stuff factory uses. 

• 4 years later...
On 4/23/2020 at 4:15 PM, probak118 said:

That is just what is in the transmission filter pan only, mine was about 5 quarts; then there is the fluid still in the torque converter, the cooler near the rad and the lines. I was told about 11 liters total in the 6 speed. So after initial drain in fill ; waited a day sucked another 4 quarts from the "service only" tube of darker fluid and filled exact amount with new. Next day did that again and now fresh looking red fluid again. so I do not think 4-5 quarts out of the filter pan is a full fluid change ? I could be wrong too ?

You are correct, it is 9.2 on total re-fill for the 2.4 Cylinder engine with a 41TES in it