P0128 code -v Coolant thermostat temp below ......

probak118

Coolant thermostat temperature below thermostat regulating temperature code read after engine light came on while driving. I have such a sort ride to work daily 9 miles both ways I doubt my engine gets to normal operating temperatures really. I reset the code and hope my thermostat just was a little sticky and was opened ? My coolant temp was reading about 90 C ( 194 F) but I then idled at home till it got to about 205 F and my electric fan kicked on and temp dropped. Complete fluid change out in 2018 and am going to compare temp of in car readout and a digital readout pointed at radiator inlet hose to verify both are the same temperatures.  If so may change thermostat just to be safe, looks to be wide open and easily changeable myself, at least if sticking it is not sticking closed and overheating. Any tips I should know from those who have changed thermostat themselves ? 

11 hours ago, probak118 said:

Coolant thermostat temperature below thermostat regulating temperature code read after engine light came on while driving. I have such a sort ride to work daily 9 miles both ways I doubt my engine gets to normal operating temperatures really. I reset the code and hope my thermostat just was a little sticky and was opened ? My coolant temp was reading about 90 C ( 194 F) but I then idled at home till it got to about 205 F and my electric fan kicked on and temp dropped. Complete fluid change out in 2018 and am going to compare temp of in car readout and a digital readout pointed at radiator inlet hose to verify both are the same temperatures.  If so may change thermostat just to be safe, looks to be wide open and easily changeable myself, at least if sticking it is not sticking closed and overheating. Any tips I should know from those who have changed thermostat themselves ? 

sounds like the fan and your thermostat is working correctly to me, not sure why you got a code but 194 and running and 295 when sitting at idle sounds okay/

I agree. Sounds like it's working fine to me also. Like you say, you do have a very short trip and the engine likely does not warm completely up.

My 3.6L has a very difficult time reaching 195 in the cold of winter. It is functioning normal just tends  to run on the cold side in the deep of winter.

If the problem comes back and you are confident that the engine temperature is correct you may have a bad temperature sensor or lose connection.

• 2 weeks later...

Hankster 

On 12/9/2019 at 9:22 PM, Hankster said:

Time for a new thermostat. Easy diy job on either 2.4l or 3.6l.

Hank

Job was almost too easy...30 minutes at the most including a 10 minute beer break. Funny part was NAPA sold the entire assembly already assembled cheaper than buying just the thermostat and gasket alone ! Now my coolant temp climbs to and holds around 90 C ( 191 F ) easily on those -8 C (17 F ) morning 7 minute drives lately. Wife was not impressed with the heat level when coolant temp maxed at 71 C ( 162 F ) while driving LOL ,  thanks all for your replies 

Edited by probak118

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, agm2112 said:

I was receiving P0189 error even in the extreme heat of Brazil. Just replaced the thermostat and now the engine is at 91 C on the road. Before was 83~86.

(91°C × 9/5) + 32 = 195.8°F that is normal for a 3.6  engine at least that is about where mine ranges from 185-215  depending on temperature and driving conditions
make sure you dont have a air bubble in the coolant system this was just discussed a few days ago check the forums for the post and or google on how to use the bleed screw to help remove the bubble from the system
Edited by 2late4u