Code P06DD and oil all over - help

Mudshack

2015 Dodge Journey 3.6L 75,400mi

So my wife tells me that this morning she noticed the check engine light while driving to work.  Nothing sounded or acted wrong, so I told her I would check it out tonight after work.  Since it was long overdue for an oil change, I figured it had something to do with the oil.  So, I got 6quarts of synthetic and a new filter during the day.  Changed the oil when she got home.  Figured the car needed to run a bit to clear the code, so I took the family to get some Dairy Queen.  I smelled oil on the way there, and figured I might as well swing by O'Reilly's to check the code.  As I am almost there, I hear a tone and look down.  A red oil symbol briefly appeared at the bottom of the center dash computer window.  I switch over to check the oil pressure and it is down to 14psi.  Dang it!  It got down to 2psi by the time I pulled into O'Reilly's.  I pull the dip stick and NO OIL ON THE DIP STICK!!  Using my phone flashlight I am now climbing around under the car in the wet parking lot.  There is oil all over on the drivers side of the engine.  Starts midway down and oil is pulled up and dripping out.  I get the code reader from O'Reilly's and it pulled the following code:

P06DD - Engine Oil Pressure Control Circuit Performance / Stuck Off.

Where do I begin - other than internet searching all night?

We are taking this car from KC to Miami and back in just 3 weeks!!  I can't have it doing stuff like this while on the trip.

After doing some research online, I saw that people would get that code when their oil filter was put in upside down.  So I went and looked, nope.  Not upside down.  BUT!!!!!!  The rubber ring gasket was NOT SEATED correctly, and got cut when I initially installed it.  About 2" of it was sticking straight out.  I think that oil was coming out there and running down the back side of the housing and then worked its way around the engine and pulled up over what looks like the transmission closest to the firewall.

I also found these reasons why a P06DD code is thrown:

- Low or dirty engine oil

- Faulty Oil Pressure Sensor

- Oil Pressure Sensor harness is open or shorted

- Oil Pressure Sensor circuit poor electrical component.

Well....like I said originally, I was guessing that the extremely dirty oil (and probably low) was the reason the car threw a code.

Tomorrow morning I will drive the 10mi to O'Reillys again and have them delete the code and make the check engine light go away.  I am thinking that all will be good with whatever caused the check engine light to come on.  And I am thinking that I won't lose any more oil now that the rubber ring gasket has been installed properly (its the old one).

glad you found out the problem, when you changed the oil did your replace the old o ring on the cap with the new one supplied, i am assuming you did since you said you are using the old one now. the one thing you wrote that is odd to me is you were saying about the oil filter in backwards with the new ones cant be put in backwards as the little nose tripod wont fit in backwards unless you are using the old filters that didnt have that part built on to the filter.of course you see ever thing on the inter web, Anyways glad you caught it before any damage was done and i am sure you will be okay as you found the cause of the leak. i also change my own oil and i only hand tighten the cap as tight as i can get it by hand only, with o rings you NEVER want to tighten them to tight as it will stretch the ring and or cut them and cause a leak......i always after i change my oil and filter when i am thur i let the engine run for about 3-5 minutes then stop it let it cool look for leaks and then recheck the oil level and then for the next few days i keep a check for leaks ,you never know the crazy things that can happen after you or someone else working on your cars.....

i remember about 15-yrs ago i was changing the oil on my truck and after i was all done i started it up and let it run for a few minutes then shut it off and let it settle for a few minutes and was checking the oil level everything was okay, i look underneath the truck for drips and oil was coming out of the side of the filter i thought wtf so i slid my clean oil pan under and shimmed back under the truck with my filter wrench and yes it was tight i though wth, so thought about it for a minute then decided to look at my old spin on filter and the oil gasket wasn't still attached to the filter, so i removed the new one and looked at the bottom of the oil pump surface,and there it was the old gasket stuck to the metal peeled it off re-wet the new gasket on the filter which i didnt really have to do as oil was everywhere by then LOL and re tightened everything and low and behold no leaks.... first time in all my years of changing oil that the gasket came off the old filter like that. so strange stuff like can happen so it pays to double check everything twice and to keep an eye on all their fluids under the hood, i still check my oil every week at least once. 

9 hours ago, Mudshack said:

After doing some research online, I saw that people would get that code when their oil filter was put in upside down.  So I went and looked, nope.  Not upside down.  BUT!!!!!!  The rubber ring gasket was NOT SEATED correctly, and got cut when I initially installed it.  About 2" of it was sticking straight out.  I think that oil was coming out there and running down the back side of the housing and then worked its way around the engine and pulled up over what looks like the transmission closest to the firewall.

I also found these reasons why a P06DD code is thrown:

- Low or dirty engine oil

- Faulty Oil Pressure Sensor

- Oil Pressure Sensor harness is open or shorted

- Oil Pressure Sensor circuit poor electrical component.

Well....like I said originally, I was guessing that the extremely dirty oil (and probably low) was the reason the car threw a code.

Tomorrow morning I will drive the 10mi to O'Reillys again and have them delete the code and make the check engine light go away.  I am thinking that all will be good with whatever caused the check engine light to come on.  And I am thinking that I won't lose any more oil now that the rubber ring gasket has been installed properly (its the old one).

actually my 2014 about 1-2 yrs came up with a warring light and it was the oil sender went bad oil pressure was pegged as high as it would go dealership said they were seeing quite a few journeys with that problem and he figured the part suppler had sent a bad batch of units to the factory and that there really wasn't a problem that i had regular oil pressure  but that the oil sender had shorted out inside itself and showing high pressure. check your readings in the evic center to see what the oil pressure is should be around 40 psi when warm and at reg driving speed.

UPDATE -

I drove around watching the oil pressure.  All was perfect 35-42psi.  I went to O'Reilly's and reset the check engine light.  Then drove around town taking care of errands.  Check engine light stayed off and oil pressure stayed right where it should.  At the last traffic light before home, I stuck the throttle to the floor and got up to 45 as fast as I could.  It through the check engine light back on.  And when I checked the oil level at home it was a quart low.  Now it has me going hmmmmmmmmm......

Thoughts?

Well after a ton of online research, I think it is the oil filter housing.  Dealership said it is a known failure part.  And if they cracked it during an oil change, they would warranty the work.  But since I did the oil change myself it would be $800+ to replace it.

18 minutes ago, Mudshack said:

Well after a ton of online research, I think it is the oil filter housing.  Dealership said it is a known failure part.  And if they cracked it during an oil change, they would warranty the work.  But since I did the oil change myself it would be $800+ to replace it.

yep if you broke it then its on you....check out this vidio on the oil housing and cooler unit

check out 

15 minutes ago, Mudshack said:

yep if you broke it then its on you.... here is a video on a 3.6 would be the same as a journey i would assume there are 3 videos so you will have to watch all three