2009 Journey SXT AWD 3.5 L starting issue

Hello fellow Dodge Journey owners!I wanted to reach out to you about a problem I have with my 2009 Dodge Journey SXT all wheel drive. Good vehicle except for some weird kind of quirky problems that mechanics cannot figure out. I've had an intermittent starting issue, it's not a neutral safety switch at least not to my knowledge. Out of the blue,when you turn the key nothing happens you turn the key to off for a couple seconds and it fires right up.It seems if you clean the connections under the hood where you jump start it will last for a couple weeks, but then it goes back to the same old thing.No one has convinced me that putting a new starter in it will solve that problem. I heard that there's a sensor module for the ignition.I want to see if anybody is actually solved this problem. I truly believe a bad starter would could really bad and eventually I won't be able to start it it will go literally weeks without a problem.Thanks and God Bless!Rob

• 1 month later...

I'm curious if you got this resolved. I have a VERY similar issue on my '09 Journey STX / FWD that I just purchased. Intermittent issue with the start function just not doing anything. Very disconcerting when it happens. I've checked the MOPAR site and it shows all 3 available recalls have been processed, so what's next?

1 minute ago, Nathan_K said:

I'm curious if you got this resolved. I have a VERY similar issue on my '09 Journey STX / FWD that I just purchased. Intermittent issue with the start function just not doing anything. Very disconcerting when it happens. I've checked the MOPAR site and it shows all 3 available recalls have been processed, so what's next?

Have the dealer diagnose. Welcome to the forum. 

also check all your cables at the battery also make sure clean and tight, also check starter ground at frame and all connections,if you replace the starter make sure you use a good quality one or go mopar parts ,i know cost more but built to a better quality yrs ago my dad had a problems using aftermarket alternators , ended up they didnt work well with dodge vech, he had the dealership put on a mopar alt and no more problems..

I have a very similar issue. Ever since I bought my 2009 journey it has randomly decided not to start. At first it was very rare. I had the recalls done then it was good for a while. Recently, it happens every time i turn off the engine. I just wait a few hours and it starts back up no problem. However if i stop in a parking lot at a grocery store for example, when i get out of the store i end up stranded for hours. Have no $$$ to throw at a new starter or battery or stuff that may not be the problem. Can anyone help diagnose this so I can get the right repair done?

On 7/13/2018 at 6:07 PM, Dodgey said:

I have a very similar issue. Ever since I bought my 2009 journey it has randomly decided not to start. At first it was very rare. I had the recalls done then it was good for a while. Recently, it happens every time i turn off the engine. I just wait a few hours and it starts back up no problem. However if i stop in a parking lot at a grocery store for example, when i get out of the store i end up stranded for hours. Have no $$$ to throw at a new starter or battery or stuff that may not be the problem. Can anyone help diagnose this so I can get the right repair done?

Dealer is your best bet to diagnose the problem. 

On 7/13/2018 at 5:07 PM, Dodgey said:

What good is it for us to give ideas when you can’t fix it?  Most likely is the starter or battery but you need to get it tested.  If they tell you it’s bad, then what?

cars are an expense. You have to repair them. Coming here and asking for help when you have no intention of fixing it is a waste of everyone’s time.

I recently acquired 2010 SXT that seems to have the random starting problem.

So far the solution that seems to have solved the problem, at least for me, was to improve the engine grounding.

After reading through many posts in the forum I pulled the air cleaner box out and looked at the ground connection.

I also own an old Cherokee that has taught me that Chrysler is not long on over engineering electrical stuff and many solutions to issues with Jeeps is to clean and repair grounds.

The ground cable going to the engine block.starter was slightly corroded but what stuck me was the small gauge of the ground cable.

So I cleaned up the corrosion and added an additional 1 gauge cable running to the ground connector from the battery.  The one that your would use to boost the car.

So far the starting problem has not returned.

Cost was $25 for the 36" 1 gauge cable and about 30 minutes of work cleaning up the corrosion and routing the cable.

As I said so far it seems to have solved the starting issue.

• 2 months later...

I had a similar problem with my ‘09.  I’ve been through seven batteries in nine years and several starters.  The dealer really has no idea and the last time it happened, they addd a ground strap to the engine block.  I told them this can’t be the cause of my problems, if that extra ground strap was needed, it would’ve been there since new, and I, not sure how they came to that conclusion.  But I have to tell you, I haven’t had a starting problem since then.  Fingers crossed and we’ll see if the problem returns, I’ll keep you posted.