I am going to THROTTLE someBODY

Our bad luck continues, but on the positive side, we are really learning a lot about mechanics and electronics in vehicles!  Our vehicle is six years old, so I guess we can expect some surprises! (165000 km) But, there are days when I feel like Throttling somebody at Chrysler!  I can't afford this!

Our engine light came on the other day.  Stayed on.  No blinking.  Took it to a shop and a fine young man checked it out with some kind of a hand held scanner.  The code was P0123 which is Throttle Position Sensor (or throttle body sensor or something like that).  He cleared the code and the light has not come on again.  

So, if it does, I guess we have to replace the accelerator pedal and sensor since they are both in one unit.  The dealer wanted over 400 bucks for the part alone.  I don't think I will go back.  

Are the aftermarket ones acceptable to use?  Is the quality good?  Or, would you guys recommend a refit with a OEM Mopar part?

Has anyone had experience with this replacement and have they used aftermarket parts (which are below 100 bucks)? 

If the light comes on again, I will get someone to check the wires first.

Thanks for your time.

mechanical-idiot

gas pedal.jpg

I would buy an OEM one just to be on the safe side. If anything were to happen with the accelerator while you were driving you'd be screaming expletives because you bought one from somewhere else! If anything does go wrong again with the OEM one, the good news is that it will be covered under warranty. That's the main benefit for going with the dealership, once you replace a part that part is under warranty for I believe 2 years (may want to double check that). How many miles do you have on your DJ? 6 years isn't very old

Just picked one up at the salvage yard for 75 bucks.  Came off a 2013.  Accident damaged vehicle with 43000 km on it.

Thanks 2late4u, I forgot about the old junkyard ploy!  You just saved me a few bucks!

The MIL light has not come back, but if it does, I will be prepared.

mechanical-idiot

There are days when I feel like throwing something at it for sure, but it really is a great vehicle to drive.  We have had some bad luck, but every vehicle has some mechanical failures now and then.

I am not ready to throw a TANK at it yet!

I nearly cried when I saw this video!  What a waste.  Lots of great parts were still on the vehicle.

mechanical-idiot

• 4 months later...

My advise on this topic as a mechanic by trade would be to never just replace a sensor because a code comes up. 

A decent hand held scanner/diagnostic unit can show you live data in which you can see with your own eyes on the screen what percentage of open throttle  is being reported to the ecu from that sensor. Whilst observing this push the gas slowly down to the floor and watch to see if the open throttle percentage climbs as your foot goes down toward the floor. This will confirm or deny the sensors actual operation. 

The fact is ecus can throw codes at times just because of a momentary brain fart lol and puts the light on. Sometimes a reset is all that's required.

On the subject of parts im well with using breaker yard parts over aftermarket as 95% of the time you'll get a manufacturers original part from a car breaker and they do work better/last longer.

Always do some investigating before buying anything unless its diagnostic gear lol