Gatorboy

Pulling a trailer for vacation

I have a 2015 dodge journey sxt and I am trying to find out how bill of a trailer I can pull with out tearing up my journey.  I plan on using a uhaul trailer and a 5x8 trailer.   I have a 3.6 engine.  Please help i don't want anything to happen on my trip of 2000 miles 

check your owners manual for the limit on the trailer weight. that is what you need to know.... and take it easy

That size trailer is a perfect size for your Journey. I just moved my daughter on a 1000 mile move and my DJ did great. After loading the trailer and a few things in the back of the truck I was just over 1800 lbs (lucked out with a dump weigh station that let me weigh my load). Drive was a combination of heavy traffic city driving, over the grapevine in CA (mountain), and then some flat interstate driving. Weather was about 100 degrees and I had no issues. I did shut the AC off when climbing the mountain, but ran it pretty much the whole trip. I also used the manual shifter over the curvy mountain road to make sure I down shifted when necessary. I will say, I hit some high winds on the flat interstate and really felt that.

Three things to keep in mind...1. Don't drive too fast as tempting as it is, 2. Make certain the receiver/tongue is level so your tongue weight doesn't exceed the suggested max, 3. DON'T OVERLOAD.

Good luck.

20170701_175509.jpg