Oil change records for warranty?

DizzyR/T

My first forum and post thanks for help in advanced.  My question is i got a 2016 DJ RT i have been doing my oil changes myself. I was told 2 oil changes later by a mopar diehard friend of mine that, i should keep receipts of my oil changes to keep my warranty valid am i screwed already? Im already having issue with the vehicle i dont like and plan on visiting dodge real soon

no, you are not screwed, only if the last oil changed you screwed it up some how and caused engine damage like using the wrong oil filter ( there are 2 filters for the 3.6 engine) or maybe used transmission oil instead of reg approved oil, yes you should kept records and when possible recites, doing engine modification that cause damage will void your warranty...take care

Just to be cautious you should keep records of your oil changes. Receipts of what you used, or receipts from Jiffy lube or wherever you get it changed as well. Especially if you have the mopar lifetime warranty, if anything catastrophic happens and the engine or transmission needs to be replaced they will ask for the maintenance history and records. Your claim could be denied if you don't have a record of regular oil changes and maintenance. 

• 1 year later...

They would have to have probable cause before denying warranty.  That would mean sludged up (never changed oil) or multiple bearing failures (out of oil).

I started doing my own oil changes 40 years ago after the dealer boffed it (lost 1/2 the oil driving home).

one thing i do is i keep a record of everything i have done or do myself with the date and mileage when its done i even write down when i change the windshield wiper Blades it is on a long piece of cardboard about 2 inches wide and i keep it in my car manual. so any one looking at it can tell when everything has been done.nothing fancy just simple remarks on what has been done.

When I had my 05 Cummins Ram, I did an Excel spreadsheet tracking maintenance including mileage, date, what was done and by who if it wasn't me.  Prior to selling it, I emailed it to any prospective buyer that asked as I put it in my listing.  

At some point, most of us will be selling or trading in our Journeys to someone.  This simple act will help getting the most $$ you can.