Towing a Jon boat?

Tre4

So I'm the proud owner of a 2016 DJ SXT. I'm also an avid outdoorsman who has a goal of one day owning maybe a Jon boat for fishing. I noticed the DJ has no tow package. How safe would it be to have a trailer hitch installed to tow around approximately 500lbs? Would it cause  transmission or engine issues? Or am I better off just strapping a kayak to my roof and calling it a day?

Im pretty sure you should be able to tow a Jon boat with a Journey.  Hell, you could probably tow one with a ten speed bike!   What you have to consider are how often, how far, how much total weight.  Getting a hitch installed is no big deal (search the forum, multiple discussions). How you drive with it is.

• 4 years later...

Man i think boat with or over 500lbs should be tow by expert boat haulers. When it comes to the owner’s manual of your boat, the dry weight of your boat will be listed without taking fuel and gear into account. This means that you might underestimate the towing capabilities that you need in order to safely and securely transport your boat. 

50 minutes ago, Joshben said:

Man i think boat with or over 500lbs should be tow by expert boat haulers. When it comes to the owner’s manual of your boat, the dry weight of your boat will be listed without taking fuel and gear into account. This means that you might underestimate the towing capabilities that you need in order to safely and securely transport your boat. 

Are you kidding?  Expert boat hauler for a 500# Jon boat?  You have to be kidding....

It’s not just weight when considering towing. Front surface area effects drag which puts a lot of load on tranny.

But a small front profile 500 # boat,  plus gear  plus trailer which might be 200 pounds puts you at limit if car full of people as well. Should be doable. Full synthetic ATF+4 is a good idea if towing.