transmission fluid change

2late4u

well just turned about 51k on my 2014 and i have the max lifetime mopar warranty and i have always had my trans fluid changed in the past vech. at about 30-40k so i was reading in our manual with reg driving change it at 100k so i asked my dealership and they recommend to do it sooner then what the book says and yea i know they just want to make money, as they try to push oil changes every 3k . but it does make sense to do it a little earlier than 100k ,as i do my oil changes at about 6k with syn. oil so why not do the trans early at least i would be covered with warranty..... what do you all think? also i hate not having the dip stick to check the fluid color and level.....i believe they get about 150 -175 to do the trans service......

I did mine around 50-60k. Paid under $200 at the dealer.  I also have the lifetime extended warranty plus a lifetime powertrain warranty.  I say do it, it doesnt hurt anything, but I would only have the dealer do it because of no dip stick.  Just my 2 cents....

Edited by OhareFred

• 1 month later...

well took the journey in for the transmission service have about 53k on it i figured if i change the eng oil  every 6-7k might as well do the trans early so they told me about $ 179. U.S. so when they got thur i reminded them i was a chrysler retiree and got it done for $129. also i bought me some extra oil filters they were $7.43 each listed for $11.00 but he said they sell them at cost to get buyers to come back to the dealership... i had checked on ebay and other places they were at least this much or higher  and some charged extra for shipping, i did see some off brands at rock auto a bit cheaper but why get them when you can get mopar for just a bit more...so i am good i guess till i hit 100k for the plug change.......well might have to throw on set of tires before then.

the dealership i take mine to said they dont do a flush only the dropping the pan, new filter. i've have never had a flush done heard pros and cons on it. whatever the dealer does is fine by me. check out a different dealership as they all charge different prices on parts and labor.$ 299. is awful high and actually  60 k is supposed to be for vehicles that are doing a lot of towing or severe use you could wait until 120 k if you want to according to the manual.

16 hours ago, Woah322 said:

My dealer said I can wait to 60K to change the fluid but wants 299.99 to do it. Seems expensive but trying to tell me it's not just a flush, it's the dropping the pan(which I doubt) 

If it was just a flush you would not be changing filter, you must drop the bottom of the pan. By doing so you also get to examine / clean the magnet that collects and holds any small metallic pieces in the fluid. Plus wipe away any buildup lying in the bottom.  The old gasket must also then be removed and a new one installed. Not a difficult job if you have the car raised but does involve a little time and elbow grease to remove old gasket material sometimes. Not sure if $300 is worth it but, it is not simply a flush.

You can get the Transmission Filter and Gasket at NAPA for $11.49. I'm not sure how many Qts of ATF but the total cost is under $30.00. If you can change Oil, you can do this. Jiffy Lube and similar Oil Change Stores use a machine that sucks out the Fluid but they don't replace the filter, or clean the Magnet. Without a Dipstick you need to replace with the same volume of ATF Drained out.

• 4 years later...

well i just had my transmission fluid and filter done again at 109 k as of now, i had my daughters transmission serviced last week and asked how much for the journey and they said $189. so i had it done , well they ended up charging me $220 and when is said you quoted me $189 of course i expected tax but they said well the fluid was higher and whatever,, blaa ,blaa, so then i said did i get my employee discount and they said it was already figured in, kind of didnt feel like arguing ,so i said well ok dont worry about it, i just wanted to get out of there and i know know i am set for a long time as already had the plugs and coolant change dorn at around 95 k. and since i have the max warranty i wanted to have it all done by the dealership so if i have a problem they cant say well you didnt have it done right... they have a all new service dept personal the old ones treated me better but the new are still pretty good on getting things done quickly and also done right,,,