Whining from fan belt(???) on start up

well you have a belt tensioner that might be going bad as when you first start up its cold and stiff and after a little bit it has warmed up and loosened up a bit. also the serpentine belt last about 60k to whenever but the belt might be glazed and causing some noise till it gets warm. if it bothers you enough concern take it to a repair shop or dealership. also i've always replaced the tensioner when ever i replaced the serpentine belt ,a lot of people don't but it is recommended to do that.

Mines only in super cold weather...below 0 degrees Celsius. The wife relies on the truck to move the kids around so may have to have it looked at. Thanks

May be a bearing on yours, since it only does it when it is super cold. Grease gets thicker as the temp drops, and it might be a lack of grease. Once it warms up, the grease thins out and the whine goes away.

Edited by dhh3

was 25 degrees yesterday and mine a a yelp for about 2 seconds also had a appointment at my dealer to have a plastic door sill replaced so drove up there and the part they got in was wrong and i had asked about the noise and gave them the number of the service bulliten and as usual they say will it make the noise NOW and i said no it only happens when first started and is real cold so they tell well we have to hear it so you will have to leave it with us to check tomorrow if you want...oh well

Dig your heels in the ground but let them do their thing routine investigation. The service bulletin described exactly what is happening in my case, yours as well as others here. Once changed, mine stopped the whinning for the 15 seconds on these cold start ups; now it does not. Just the momentary noise at first start. Why not try going to a new one on the lot and start it ? If no extended noise...probably no argument after that ?

• 4 weeks later...

...so they tell well we have to hear it so you will have to leave it with us to check tomorrow if you want...oh well

Total BS. Print out the bulletin, highlight this part and show it to them:

"DIAGNOSIS:

If the customer describes the symptom, perform the Repair Procedure."

Per the Service Bulletin, They DO NOT have to "hear it" to perform the repair.

Total BS. Print out the bulletin, highlight this part and show it to them:

"DIAGNOSIS:

If the customer describes the symptom, perform the Repair Procedure."

Per the Service Bulletin, They DO NOT have to "hear it" to perform the repair.

Had the same issue with my front end clunk. Had to take it in twice and actually show them the TSB before they replaced the parts. First they just greased the sway bar bushings and said it was good. lol