Changing chrome wheels

drjbg230

I bought a 2014 Limited. It came from out of state via CarMax and the chrome wheels were not listed on their website. I had done my due diligence re: the pricing and features for this car and so I was basically ready to buy once the car arrived, pending a test drive and testing of equipment. So the car gets here and wow!- chrome! I didn't even think to rule this out when asking about the options the car had and since CarMax takes the vehicle off their webiste once it gets scheduled for transfer, there were no more pics to look at after the first glance.

It's tough to admit, but now that it's been couple of weeks, I think I'm getting used to it. The wheels really makes the car stand out in a parking lot! But I'm wondering if there is a way to change the chrome appearance without buying new wheels.

Is the chrome just a cap over the wheel that can be removed and replaced with another cap? Can it be painted, brushed, dulled? Just wondering in case I get too many jabs about it. :)

Mine have been dipped for a year and a half with no signs of wear. They have also had the rubber switched out to winter tires. No need to touch up if you do it right and get a pro to change the tires.

Lobitz, now that you have winter tires, go get some used alloys for them! Then you don't have to change the rubber on the dipped wheels. I counted 24 alloys in the Twin Cities area on car-part.com. P.S. never believe the price they post. Everything at a wrecker is negotiable.

Lobitz, now that you have winter tires, go get some used alloys for them! Then you don't have to change the rubber on the dipped wheels. I counted 24 alloys in the Twin Cities area on car-part.com. P.S. never believe the price they post. Everything at a wrecker is negotiable.

I was thinking about getting new summer wheels. I will decide in the spring.

• 2 weeks later...