Dash Cameras

vozaday

Greetings, I was wondering who all here uses dash cams and which ones do you prefer. I'm thinking about grabbing some. There seems to be a lot online but not exactly sure which route to go. I would prefer the sticking (non suction cup) type as it would have less vibrations and be more permanent. Plus something low profile.

Thanks in advance

Not many dash cams have motion detection activated recording. The one I use doesn't - it has the theoretical ability, given the 3 axis G sensor. But it's not been implemented in mine.

But for me the limiting factor is image quality; if I can't read the license plate on playback the thing is just a toy - and even if the device has a high res sensor, if the lens sucks (and most of them do) then you won't be able to read the plate number . . . . .

Not many dash cams have motion detection activated recording. The one I use doesn't - it has the theoretical ability, given the 3 axis G sensor. But it's not been implemented in mine.

But for me the limiting factor is image quality; if I can't read the license plate on playback the thing is just a toy - and even if the device has a high res sensor, if the lens sucks (and most of them do) then you won't be able to read the plate number . . . . .

Good to know, I was hoping for an actual motion detector. Thanks for clarifying.

So I think I have it narrowed down to the Blackvue 650. I also see that they have a power setup that allows the camera to stay on, but will shut off the camera when voltage gets low. So best of both worlds.

What is the point of a dash cam? Just in case of accidents and other incidents like that?

I had an accident in my cvp ( the 1st one) where the guy never admitted fault even though he was 100% in the fault a dash cam would have proved he was at fault way faster and I have considered getting one as my cvp was written off not to long ago and where it happened people run the red light almost daily. Edited by xcaliber81

What is the point of a dash cam? Just in case of accidents and other incidents like that?

In this area we've had a rash of car/pedestrian collisions and some have been attributed to walking into traffic while texting. A dashcam makes this a simple investigation for the police and stops the constant accusations that "it's the drivers fault"

That is why I chose the BlackVue with magic power adapter. The camera will stay on even when the vehicle is off. It will eventually shut off when the adapter senses the battery voltage has dropped to a set voltage. The adapter also has an on off switch and allows a timer, so fully customizable as to how you want the camera to record. But it records motion, 5 seconds before the person walks by (or vehicle hits you) and 55 seconds after only with the adapter. That is why I paid the little bit extra. I almost got hit last week and it would have been tough explaining.

It's not on when the car is not running, so if a hit and run happens, then it happens. I can see who's driving. I could probably read the plates to if I increased the resolution; however, as stated, that's not important to me.

Edited by vozaday

• 4 weeks later...

That is why I chose the BlackVue with magic power adapter. The camera will stay on even when the vehicle is off. It will eventually shut off when the adapter senses the battery voltage has dropped to a set voltage. The adapter also has an on off switch and allows a timer, so fully customizable as to how you want the camera to record. But it records motion, 5 seconds before the person walks by (or vehicle hits you) and 55 seconds after only with the adapter. That is why I paid the little bit extra. I almost got hit last week and it would have been tough explaining.

I'm thinking of buying the BlackVue 650 dual channel w/magic power as well...only question is by adding the magic power does this goes against the warranty if it's installed by someone else and not the Dodge dealers?

I've had the itronics itb-100hd in my Journey, and another one in my work truck for the past couple years... They are great cameras, just make sure you have a good quality SD Card in them!

Here's my YouTube channel where I've uploaded some of my more interesting encounters on the road... https://www.youtube.com/user/waynetow

The itronics camera has captured most of the videos over the past couple years... before that I had a Contour camera.

I'm thinking of buying the BlackVue 650 dual channel w/magic power as well...only question is by adding the magic power does this goes against the warranty if it's installed by someone else and not the Dodge dealers?

The only part of the warranty they "could" void is if you had electrical issues afterwords. But for me I just used fuse taps. They are 100% removable. No splicing into wires or anything like that. I love the magic pro, it's nice to have the true motion detection while the vehicle is parked.

The only part of the warranty they "could" void is if you had electrical issues afterwords. But for me I just used fuse taps. They are 100% removable. No splicing into wires or anything like that. I love the magic pro, it's nice to have the true motion detection while the vehicle is parked.

Fuse taps eh? I'm not familiar with this can you please dummy it down for me on how it works? Thanks! Maybe I can have the person installing the magic power do the same...I really want to have the camera to capture anything that can possibly happen even when my DJ is parked. I'm moving to San Antonio, Texas and I was told it's best to have a camera that can record possible hit and runs, etc...

Sorry, overlooked this. I used Micro2 fuse taps, had to order them off of eBay. Basically it is a connector that fits in the existing fuse that takes power from that spot. The original circuit still has a fuse, and your new circuit is also protected by a fuse. It just plugs in (sorry my explanation sucks, might be better to just google it).

Edited by vozaday

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, overlooked this. I used Micro2 fuse taps, had to order them off of eBay. Basically it is a connector that fits in the existing fuse that takes power from that spot. The original circuit still has a fuse, and your new circuit is also protected by a fuse. It just plugs in (sorry my explanation sucks, might be better to just google it).

Did you install the blackvue 650 2ch dash cam yourself with power magic pro or did you have someone else install them? If so, how much did it cost you? Shops here in England is asking way too much money for installing this, their reasoning is because they will have to remove the roof panel to run the wires from the front to the rear.