2013 Journey R/T 24 month review

cruisinbill

I have posted my impressions of my '13 Journey R/T on this forum previously, the last one a year ago.

For the period Oct/13-Sep/15, I have logged just under 14,000 kms for an average of 16.94 L/100 km (17 mpg [imperial gallon]). Most of the driving has been city at speeds from 30-100 km/h and a few trips of 200-450 km. The best fuel economy I achieved was 10 L/100 km at 100km/h average for a trip I took last month. The worst has been in our bitterly cold winter last year at over 20 L/100 km. Still not impressed.

I had no real issues with the Journey in the first year of ownership other than disappointing fuel economy. I tired to address this with the selling dealer but got nowhere. We are no longer customers of the selling dealer and have followed our sales rep to another dealership (not just for the fuel problem, but a whole host of customer relations issues).

In the last 12 months, I have had to replace the Uconnect system twice (under warranty); a major pain as the whole system has to be replaced and then completely reprogrammed, including waiting on hold with Sirius to get the new serial numbers registered. The first time it was a malfunctioning disc player and the second time the navigation system completely shut down. Fingers crossed, it has been working over the summer and fall.

I would add my concerns about the crappy Kuomo factory tires, the worst I have ever had on any vehicle. They just do not handle well in turns, well, they just do not handle well at all. I have just installed my Michelin Xice 3's for winter driving and what a difference. Smooth and quiet, even on our potholed and rolling streets.

We actually tried hauling 6 persons in this 7-seater (thankfully it was a relatively short trip). The only person who was comfortable in the rear was our 6-year-old granddaughter. We usually just leave these seats folded for the cargo room.

Overall, we are satisfied with the Journey and look forward to more road trips next year when my spouse retires.

got almost 30k on my 19 inch kuhmo tires and they look like they about half wore out although i do a lot of interstate driving and that is where the journey gets the best mpg. city driving will get a lot worse mpg. funny thing about my rear tires seam to be wearing down faster then the front,i do rotate them

Nice write up. Based on posts on the forum, about two months after I bought mine new, I swapped out the Khumos for a set Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus. I had them on the Nitro that I traded for the DJ. These tires were great in the snow last year.

Another reason I'm glad I did not get the Factory NAV. I have never purchased anything from China, but I found a neat mount for a tablet for $7.95 with free shipping! Arrived in 5 days! I have been using my iPhone6 for my Nav: now I can use my iPad Air.

I agree with the Kumho tires, if you live in the north. Mine are fine until the temp drops to around 40. My fuel mileage is way better than yours. I just averaged 19.5 mpg pulling my 14 x 5 loaded trailer from Muskego WI to Mears MI and back. Most city/highway I average between 23 and 24.5 US mpg.