Brake Booster Problem

Hello

Here is a quick back story of my 2015 crossroad purchase:

Test drove the vehicle brand new with no miles and my wife and I loved it. 300 miles in I had trouble with my brake booster sounding harsh and giving spring noise and feedback into the pedal. The noise and feeling can be felt with the vehicle on or off. I can feel the spring release in the booster, feel the spring vibrate the booster while someone is pushing the brake pedal as I hold the booster under the hood, and I can hear the loud spring noise within the car while driving the vehicle normally.

I have posted numerous threads about my findings and have had nothing resolved.

http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/topic/7396-weird-brake-pedal/?hl=%2Bweird+%2Bbrake

Our dealer confirmed the problem and ordered and replaced the booster and rear brake pads.

Upon all of the fixes the car pedal once again felt good and there is no longer a chirp upon braking. I did notice a bit of grittiness in the pedal action but it was much better than before.

After a week of driving, The chirp from the brake pads is non existent but the spring release and vibration has returned full force.

I tested 4 other new journeys on the lot and none of them felt this way.

My wife knows nothing about cars and she drove it today and even noticed how annoying it was.... I'm starting to wish that I purchased a grand Cherokee or no Chrysler at all.... I hope someone out there is having the same problem as I am. Ive also driven my friends 2014 Crossroad and the petal is as smooth as it could be. Help! Ill try another dealer soon but if I cant get this solved I may be on to another vehicle. Its sad....because its the only thing that is wrong with the car....I absolutely love the journey but I cant accept this with a brand new vehicle that had 0 miles on it. I still have transfer plastic attached under the door handles!

Again, the booster was replaced and the same thing has happened within a few hundred miles.

Is it possible that the vacuum line going to the booster is kinked, or not hooked up correctly at the other end? I have had my Crossroad for a year now with no issues whatsoever. I was originally looking at a Cherokee Trailhawk, but settled on the DJ - tons more car for $5,000 less.

Edited by dhh3

• 1 month later...

DJ,

I appreciate all of the insight! I'm happy to report that my problem has been solved after my second booster replacement and about 1000 miles put on the car going back and forth to the dealership.

That being said, I still thing this vehicle is so low under the radar.

Yeah.....I had a sh**** initial experience but I went through the trial and got t it fixed.

Not to sound like my nagging mom who always needs her light bulbs changed.... but my front passenger led light seems to flicker and pi** me off like the cheap cree led light I tried in my house..

Here comes another 1000 miles to the dealership.

At least I will have some power and the uconnect system.

DJ,

I appreciate all of the insight! I'm happy to report that my problem has been solved after my second booster replacement and about 1000 miles put on the car going back and forth to the dealership.

That being said, I still thing this vehicle is so low under the radar.

Yeah.....I had a sh**** initial experience but I went through the trial and got t it fixed.

Not to sound like my nagging mom who always needs her light bulbs changed.... but my front passenger led light seems to flicker and pi** me off like the cheap cree led light I tried in my house..

Here comes another 1000 miles to the dealership.

At least I will have some power and the uconnect system.

Which LED?

Lobitz,

Its my front passenger overhead pivoting led. Ive noticed the problem when I enter the car, or when grabbing something from it when the car is off. The light flickers intermittently. It never turns off, but it quickly goes softer and then back to normal.

This doesn't happen when the engine is on.

besides the booster (Just happened to be mine. none of the other I drove had the problem) and the small things.....this car is pretty sweet.

It's the reading lamp in the overhead console (not equipped in all models). If it's flickering, it's most likely due to a loose wire. There has got to be something closer than a 1,000 mile round trip for a dealership. Call Dodge Cares (1-800-423-6343) and get them to work something out. There is no reason you should have to travel 1,000 miles round trip (taking all that mileage off of your warranty as well) to get a light repaired.

It's the reading lamp in the overhead console (not equipped in all models). If it's flickering, it's most likely due to a loose wire. There has got to be something closer than a 1,000 mile round trip for a dealership. Call Dodge Cares (1-800-423-6343) and get them to work something out. There is no reason you should have to travel 1,000 miles round trip (taking all that mileage off of your warranty as well) to get a light repaired.

He said it doesn't happen when the vehicle is running though... doesn't sound like a short to me. And, it doesn't sound like a flicker, but more like it dims and get brighter. No idea...

Hey guys,

I apologize, the 1000 miles was referring to the total trips back and forth that it took to fix my booster. Ill try to get a video of the light acting up. I noticed the SE loaner I had didn't have the same lights as the crossroad.

Yeah, you have the upgraded LEDs... a video would help I think.

You can get overhead console as an option for lower trim models. The console includes LED map/convenience lights, sunglass storage, and observation mirror. This is part of the Popular Equipment Group for SE models (at least it was for 2015). I don't have it on my Journey, but my '10 T&C has the equivalent.

• Official Dodge Support

Is the dealership you've been going to the closes one to you, Medabum? As a note, you aren't required to return to strictly your purchasing dealership for repairs. You can search for dealerships near you if you punch in your ZIP code on this page: http://www.dodge.com/en/find-dealer/

• 5 months later...