Rear camera and lock pick c8

• 2 months later...

I just joined the forum and one of the "mods" the wife wouldn't mind on her SXT is a back-up cam. I would prefer to have it integrated to the existing screen and read that it should already be capable (lockpick? wth). I don't know chit about what to buy and this thread has been a bit cryptic to decipher. What do people suggest, either OEM or aftermarket? There are lots of wireless aftermarket stuff out there and I realize that I could probably go to a dealer and have them install and activate, but I'd rather give it a go myself if it's worth the effort/savings.

If you already have an 8;4 inch display it will cost less to add the backup camera sales code than it will to buy a Lockpick . . . . . if you have the small display you'd need to upgrade that OR use a lockpick - and while you can find those parts online, it gets pretty expensive to replace the display, bezel and such, even from eBay.

The video input to the radio is on a couple of the pins on the back of the radio and there are vendors on eBay who will sell you an appropriate adapter cable if you aren't comfortable cobbling up the interface and/or don't want to buy the OEM camera kit (that's what I did). If you go with the lockpick, I understand that it has a number of video inputs, which would allow you to have cameras out back and up front if you wish.

Edited by bramfrank

The Lockpick that I had on my Nitro had 4 camera inputs, and the back up image showed on the Mygig screen. There is a harness with the Lockpick that plugs into the back of the radio where the gray harness plugs in; then you plug the gray harness into the the Lockpick's harness. The cost of the OEM camera is probably equal to the Lockpick; but, you still need a camera. Coastal used to make their own cameras, but the quit making them.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm New and confused, a bit. I have a 2016 DJ and a 8.4 Uconnect. I want to install a rear camera using the Dodge tailgate mounted camera. I can install without issue. Now, does the basic non nav and non camera 8.4 unit came with the DJ allow me to install the backup camera with a dealer flashing or do I need Lock Pic. Seems the the dealer unlocking the Uconnect will be cheaper.

I'm New and confused, a bit. I have a 2016 DJ and a 8.4 Uconnect. I want to install a rear camera using the Dodge tailgate mounted camera. I can install without issue. Now, does the basic non nav and non camera 8.4 unit came with the DJ allow me to install the backup camera with a dealer flashing or do I need Lock Pic. Seems the the dealer unlocking the Uconnect will be cheaper.

You do not need a lockpick to add a backup camera to your vehicle. And yes, the dealer will charge you less to add the sales code to your vehicle than it would cost to buy the lockpick.

However the lockpick may give you a few more options than just the access to the backup camera, notably access to movement-restricted features for the phone, for browsing your music and for navigation in addition to support for additional cameras if, for example you wanted to install one up front in addition to the one you already plan to add out back..

You took the blue pill - It is unfortunate that Microsoft couldn't get traction with the Windows Phone OS - it puts both Android and iOS to complete shame. I am looking forward to seeing what Win 10 brings to the table.

I do not need a blue pill. If you care to drive to Indiana, I will show you. There is a reason for this. Anything Windows sucks. Windows phones will probably go the way of the Blackberry. Too bad. Blackberry had a good OS, made for business use.

Adding a lockpick and any camera will display the image on any radio screen. + it gives you the option of up to 4 cameras, and unlocks the features that you can't use while the vehicle is moving. Some people put a camera inside the vehicle to monitor a baby car seat. You could put one in the front, or mount them to the rear view mirrors to monitor the blind spots. Lot of options.

The 8.4 radios are camera ready from the factory with the factory camera. I had the factory camera added to mine as part of the deal when I purchased my DJ new last summer.

Either way, you have to run the video cable and power wires from the camera either to the lockpick or the factory radio. I would recommend getting a camera that displays the distance that you are from an object. The factory camera does this with colored lines. The field of vision is not wide enough, at least for me. I may get the back up sensors installed.

Why did you bother with the lockpick? Your dealer might have enabled the sales code for less than the cost of the device, though when you get your nav you will be happy that you can enter things while in motion, I must say . . . .

I got the lockpick here on the forums for $100, used. I am also going to add cameras to my sideview mirrors so i wanted the additional features.. couldn't pass that up.

what camera did you buy and do you have details on how to install? Does the radio have to be "back up camera ready"? And how do I find out if it is? Thank you . sorry for all the questions

Sorry, I didn't get notifications that there were responses to this thread. This is the camera i used:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P914PMY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I had to remove the entire rear door plastics and a coat hanger (and a shit load of dish detergent) to shimmy the cable down the window cable tube to mount it. then electrical tapes the entire wire to the existing wiring harness that runs behind the plastics. I didn't pull all the internal plastics off, i simply pushed the wire behind the plastics and ran it down by the door plastics on the floor, up under the dash and into the back of the radio where the c8 was.

Edited by HawtDogFlvrWtr

Yes, you'll need the dodge camera harness to install it and have to take it to the dealer to have them enable the camera function. If you get the lockpick and a standard rca camera you don't need to do any of that and you get the additional features such as movies while driving, etc etc etc. I don't have the harness number on hand, but i rememeber it was about $40 or something along those lines.

When the Dealer Tech installed my camera, he had the third row drivers side seat out sitting on the floor, the inside panel for the liftgate off, the left rear interior panel off, the 8.4 screen, radio and all the related parts to the dash to remove them! He ran the cables under the door sills.

yea, eff that. Those are the factory install directions that you get as i found that pdf on the web. I didn't have to do that, and honestly i'm not sure why they had to. I have no cable rattle, nor do i have a location in which the cable could get pinched. I will try to find the photo's that i took during the installation and post them here. The hardest part was ultimately putting the camera cable down the door plastic tube. I had to cut the wire and resolder it on the other end, so i could make it as factory as possible.

CoastalTech.com has the worst customer service and now I refuse to use their product. After I ordered the Lock Pick C8 and paid extra for 3 day shipping I get informed that cause my shipping address and billing address didn't match it goes against their fraud policy and canceled my order on me, after going back and forth through emails I said just ship it to the billing address if that would be fine, some guy Alan at coastal tech tell me that we already issued a credit back and won't sell you the Lock Pick, I even further tried to explain that the card I used was closed and that I can't get the credit and they said they don't care and the money was issued back and wasn't their problem that I am unable to get my refund and should contact the charge card people, so as of now I lost the money I paid and no product.

Edited by Woah322

I don't understand why you used a card that was closed. Need more information

When I bought my Lockpick for my Nitro, I bought it on ebay from a Factory Authorized Coastal Dealer. After about 2 months, the Lockpick stopped looking. He asked me to send it back to him. Then, he would send it to Coastal for them to test it. Someone at Coastal signed for it, but it was lost in their shop! So, they just sent me a new one. It still was working when I traded my Nitro for my DJ.

The only reason I bought a Lockpick is because Mopar never offered a Camera Kit for the Nitro. The image showed on the Mygig screen.

Remember, if you already have an 8.4 screen, Nav or non-Nav, you can get the Mopar Kit and the image will show on your screen. My 8.4 is non-Nav, and I had my Dealer add the camera as part of my deal when I purchased my DJ.

The small screen radios (4.2), I believe, are not camera ready. There are members on the forum who have swapped out their 4.2 for an 8.4 and then added the camera.

If you have a 4.2, a Lockpick should show the image on the screen. I am not up to speed with these new radios. In fact, the only thing I hate in my DJ is the radio. I wish that I could swap the 8.4 for a RBZ Mygig, v50, with the 30 gig HD. The older DJs used a Mygig or that size radio.

Edited by dhh3

Got a gen1 c8 lock pick here on the forum several months ago and a rear camera on amazon. Did the install last night and couldn't be happier. Now I just need navigation!

Could you please post where this wear pruchase and such?

Newbie here and would love to add the rear camera..

thanks

If you have the 8.4 inch display you can buy a camera kit (ideally the OEM kit) and then your choice of a lockpick or you can simply have the sales code added.

If you have the 4.3 inch display you can only get video through a lockpick.

I shopped around and bought the OEM kit from a Dodge dealer on ebay - I paid about $235 at the time for the kit. I went with the OEM install at the time because Coastal had some pretty poor reviews and it was cheaper to activate the feature at the dealer than to buy the C8. You buy the lockpick from Coastal directly.

If you have the 8.4 inch display you can buy a camera kit (ideally the OEM kit) and then your choice of a lockpick or you can simply have the sales code added.

If you have the 4.3 inch display you can only get video through a lockpick.

I shopped around and bought the OEM kit from a Dodge dealer on ebay - I paid about $235 at the time for the kit. I went with the OEM install at the time because Coastal had some pretty poor reviews and it was cheaper to activate the feature at the dealer than to buy the C8. You buy the lockpick from Coastal directly.

Thank you

i would have to research and see where to buy being new at this.lol

Simple is good for me..

rear cam is a needed item

You can find the Factory Camera kit on ebay. Or, if you are going the Lockpick route, again there are all sorts of cameras to choose from. Coastal used to make two cameras, but they stopped producing them a few years ago. If you have the 8.4 screen, the factory camera will work, but you will have to bring it to the dealer for them to activate it and add it to your Build List. I have no idea if any non-factory camera will work with the 8.4 screen, unless you purchase a Lockpick.

When looking for a camera, make sure it displays distance lines/numbers so that you can easily tell how close you are getting to something while backing up. The Factory Camera uses colored lines.

I don't understand why you used a card that was closed. Need more information

When I bought my Lockpick for my Nitro, I bought it on ebay from a Factory Authorized Coastal Dealer. After about 2 months, the Lockpick stopped looking. He asked me to send it back to him. Then, he would send it to Coastal for them to test it. Someone at Coastal signed for it, but it was lost in their shop! So, they just sent me a new one. It still was working when I traded my Nitro for my DJ.

The only reason I bought a Lockpick is because Mopar never offered a Camera Kit for the Nitro. The image showed on the Mygig screen.

Remember, if you already have an 8.4 screen, Nav or non-Nav, you can get the Mopar Kit and the image will show on your screen. My 8.4 is non-Nav, and I had my Dealer add the camera as part of my deal when I purchased my DJ.

The small screen radios (4.2), I believe, are not camera ready. There are members on the forum who have swapped out their 4.2 for an 8.4 and then added the camera.

If you have a 4.2, a Lockpick should show the image on the screen. I am not up to speed with these new radios. In fact, the only thing I hate in my DJ is the radio. I wish that I could swap the 8.4 for a RBZ Mygig, v50, with the 30 gig HD. The older DJs used a Mygig or that size radio.

When I originally made the initial purchase the card was active and by time I had gone back and forth with coastal almost 2 weeks had passed and the bank had closed out the card. I purchased it direct from their website. I have the factory 8.4 in non navi but i really wanted the lock pick for the ability to add more then 1 camera and I'm tired of every time the truck moves it locks out the video on the front display but continues to play in the rear. Edited by Woah322

Do you see the rear view in R, and the front view in D? Does the c8 Lockpick have the ability to spit screen (2 images at the same time). I do not know what was changed with the c8. When I prchased my DJ new, I had my Dealer install the factory camera as part of the deal. At the time, I saw no need for another camera.

In my Nitro, I could push the phone button on the MyGig 2x in quick succession and turn on the rear camera anytime.

• 3 weeks later...

I just joined the forum and one of the "mods" the wife wouldn't mind on her SXT is a back-up cam. I would prefer to have it integrated to the existing screen and read that it should already be capable (lockpick? wth). I don't know chit about what to buy and this thread has been a bit cryptic to decipher. What do people suggest, either OEM or aftermarket? There are lots of wireless aftermarket stuff out there and I realize that I could probably go to a dealer and have them install and activate, but I'd rather give it a go myself if it's worth the effort/savings.

The wifes 2012 SXT had the small screen, so we picked up an aftermarket backup cam kit and I installed it yesterday. It came with a windshield suction cup mount, but we're thinking of rigging up some sort of mount so that it sits just below the dashboard screen. Anyway, it works so for the most part it is off the to-do list.