Rear camera and lock pick c8

Why did you bother with the lockpick? Your dealer might have enabled the sales code for less than the cost of the device, though when you get your nav you will be happy that you can enter things while in motion, I must say . . . .

Will all those features work on any 8.4 screen

If you get the correct lock pick for your vehicle than you can do everything that the particular model you purchase is spec'd to do. There are different models for different cars, but the things dhh3 listed are standard to all of them I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

what camera did you buy and do you have details on how to install? Does the radio have to be "back up camera ready"? And how do I find out if it is? Thank you . sorry for all the questions

Welcome to the forum. You don't have to apologize for asking questions, that's why we join the forum. There's a lot of knowledgeable members here who are happy to help.

All of the 8.4" equipped 2011 and later DJs are camera ready - and, as noted you don't NEED a lockpic to install a backup camera, though apparently you can enable it on demand and can have more than one camera with the device.

I decided to keep my vehicle factory stock and installed her factory backup kit - It took a few hours of my time and a trip to the dealer to enable the feature - you would be trading off the additional functionality of the lockpic against the lower cost to simply enable the backup camera feature by choosing one mechanism over the other.

If you have an iPhone, you can use it for Nav. I have an iPhone 6 and a vent mount made by Insignia. With 8.3, we now get hotels, gas stations, food, etc. I pair mine via bluetooth, and plug in the USB. The phone stays on until I reach my destination; USB also charges the battery. Siri will call out directions; the volume of the radio goes down while Siri speaks. Why buy another device? The screen is big enough for me. I do not know if this works with Android. During my route, I can ask Siri for gas and food, etc, based upon my location. Location has to be ON.

Edited by dhh3

He doesn't need an iPhone to navigate. In fact the best navigation on any phone is with the Windows phones with Nokia's HERE application that is included for free and includes everything from traffic to public transit schedules. From there you can step down to either Android or iPhone.

But I am happy with the OEM navigation because I only need the single screen in front, rather than having to deal with a phone AND the vehicle's display tech, plus it is fully integrated with the steering wheel controls and speech recognition systems. I have my music on a 32 Gig SD card AND on an iPod that I keep in the arm rest - I have a charger plugged into the AC outlet for charging the cell phone if it is in need of a charge, because batteries do not like to be charged too often, so optimum life is realised if you onl charge it fully from an almost discharged state.

Yes, a number of people have had issues with the nav radio - but knock on wood mine is fine and so is my nephew's, which he's had 18 months longer than I have mine for.

He doesn't need an iPhone to navigate. In fact the best navigation on any phone is with the Windows phones with Nokia's HERE application that is included for free and includes everything from traffic to public transit schedules. From there you can step down to either Android or iPhone.

But I am happy with the OEM navigation because I only need the single screen in front, rather than having to deal with a phone AND the vehicle's display tech, plus it is fully integrated with the steering wheel controls and speech recognition systems. I have my music on a 32 Gig SD card AND on an iPod that I keep in the arm rest - I have a charger plugged into the AC outlet for charging the cell phone if it is in need of a charge, because batteries do not like to be charged too often, so optimum life is realised if you onl charge it fully from an almost discharged state.

Yes, a number of people have had issues with the nav radio - but knock on wood mine is fine and so is my nephew's, which he's had 18 months longer than I have mine for.

The only thing I don't like about the OEM navigation system is that you have to pay for the updates, otherwise mine has been flawless. Knock on wood!

No, you can't - dhh3 's suggestion is no different than what you might accomplish by sticking a Garmin or TomTom navigator on the dash, hence my comment about a single screen in my response to his post.

You MIGHT be able to route the audio from the phone through your sound system, but not if you run iOS8 or higher, so even that is moot.

In his original post, he said all he needs now is navigation. I didn't tell him to buy an iPhone. I just told him that I use my iPhone for navigation. He can use whatever phone he has for navigation and not spend money that he doesn't have to

BTW, anything Windows sucks.

In his original post, he said all he needs now is navigation. I didn't tell him to buy an iPhone. I just told him that I use my iPhone for navigation. He can use whatever phone he has for navigation and not spend money that he doesn't have to

Ha!

So with your IPhone 6 you can use navigation through your radio? Does it show the map on the screen? How is this accomplished?

The audio will run through your speakers, but the video does not display on the screen. I think that the lock pick unit will allow this though.

Edited by Lobitz68

You took the blue pill - It is unfortunate that Microsoft couldn't get traction with the Windows Phone OS - it puts both Android and iOS to complete shame. I am looking forward to seeing what Win 10 brings to the table.

You took the blue pill - It is unfortunate that Microsoft couldn't get traction with the Windows Phone OS - it puts both Android and iOS to complete shame. I am looking forward to seeing what Win 10 brings to the table.

I had a couple of Windows phones and hated them. Zero support and zero ability to customize... Gave up on them and went Android and have never had an issue since. I will will never purchase any iGarbage though... That is where I draw the line.

I'm guessing that your experience with winphone was several years ago. Things have changed. A lot. There's a reason that the Lumia 920 was the phone of the year 2 years ago and the 1020 had the best camera of any phone on the market. It is a very well integrated OS and extremely efficient, meaning that you don't need a quad core processor to do anything quickly - and with the exception of a somewhat limited catalog of apps (they have almost all of the truly important ones) it is an extremely well integrated platform today.

Edited by bramfrank

Probably some more colored boxes. Maybe they will be in 3D now and the driver will be stuck wearing red and green glasses! Maybe google glass can adapt them for 3D

I had a couple of Windows phones and hated them. Zero support and zero ability to customize... Gave up on them and went Android and have never had an issue since. I will will never purchase any iGarbage though... That is where I draw the line.

I had the first 2 Android phones on the market: T-Mobile G1 and G2. I still have the G2 as a back up phone. Then I Went to a Galaxy S3 and got totally sick of all the useless crap that was preloaded on the phone, constantly begging for an upgrade. So, I went to an iPhone. Apple preloads very few aps and they update themselves with new software releases. Google blew it with Android when they let it become an open source platform. Some of the phones now have too much junk on them. In fact, I'm typing this on an iPad Air!

Edited by dhh3