Sign in to follow this  
Guardstang

Putting Trans into Drive Gives a Loud Thunk Sometimes

just like the old days if your idle was really fast and you put the car into drive--whump! Doesn't happen all the time but anyone know if a transmission reflash will help?

Welcome to the forum. If you check further into the transmission section, you'll find that there is a lot of discussion on this particular topic. It's sometime noticeable at first start up when the transmission is cold. Many forum members have found that if you put it in neutral first a few seconds before shifting into drive it makes a difference.

Edited by rolly

Enjoy your Chrysler 62te transmission. It's a feature. Happens in other vehicles with the same transmission.

Enjoy your Chrysler 62te transmission. It's a feature. Happens in other vehicles with the same transmission.

Happens in other transmissions as well... Fairly common really, just more noticeable in our DJ's than in most other...

Happens in other transmissions as well... Fairly common really, just more noticeable in our DJ's than in most other...

Indeed.

I had the same problem and was told that it was normal... I did a quick relearn of the transmission (with an expensive scanner) and no more big clunk when I shift from park to drive.

I think it had this problem since I bought the car in 2012. Having tried that before I believe the transmission would be less crappy now that I have 160K km on it...