Help, need to lower my 2015 journey

I just bought a new 2015 DJ SE and now my 83 year old short legged mother is complaining the DJ is to tall. I thought about putting smaller diameter tires on it but the wheel well gap would look weird. I also thought about an air ride or spring suspension to lower it but I haven't found a kit that anyone make. I even thought about lowering the front seat, there is enough room under it to lower it, but then it might be a safety factor. I thought about removing the plastic railing under the door as it's about a inch wide but then it would look stupid under to doors when closed. I'm almost to my wits end and ready to trade it in on something shorter in height but the DJ is just the right fit and comfortable. Anyone have any ideas or direction on which way to go?

post-11168-0-13931300-1430154986_thumb.j

think you have covered all your options. 1 thing you could do if she doesn't ride in it all the time or drive it. build a small 3 inch high x 20 long and 15 wide rectangular box for her to step on and when getting in and out.had to fix something like that for my wifes mother who had a stroke, yes it was a pain getting it out and back in but she didnt ride in the caravan thaT much except going to and from the dr.. good luck

Welcome to the forum. Have you considered a retractable running board. I just found this site, it might be worth checking it out. I'm sure there are others, but it's a start. My sister also has a difficult time as well. Hope this helps.

www.pickupspecialties.com/power_step/powerstep/automatic_retracting_running_board.htm

Edited by rolly

Thanks 2late4u, I went out and bought her a small step about 4 inches tall but she's to proud to use it, she thinks EVERYONE is looking at her. I say...come on really? And Rolly, I have looked at those steps but since my only complaint so far with the DJ is dodge didn't put a A pillar grab handle to help will the balance. Does anyone know of a A pillar grab handle like they have on a ram truck?

Thanks 2late4u, I went out and bought her a small step about 4 inches tall but she's to proud to use it, she thinks EVERYONE is looking at her. I say...come on really? And Rolly, I have looked at those steps but since my only complaint so far with the DJ is dodge didn't put a A pillar grab handle to help will the balance. Does anyone know of a A pillar grab handle like they have on a ram truck?

some caravans had pillar grab handles, have never seen any on journeys,you could probably have some put on at a custom shop but i am sure the cost would be high and of course not look right.

DHH3, she always seems to be grabbing for a handle that would be between the windshield and the door. The ones above the door is something she's not use too. Its a great idea but not for her, can't teach an old dog new tricks. LOL 2late4u that might work, I'll go to a auto bone yard and see if I can find something.

We thought the grab handle on the Journey is in an odd location too. Not very handy at all. My mother-in-law used to refuse to use her cane for the same reason.

OK lobitz68., I will check into the spring and it would make it handle better too, TY. silenze, I thought running board too but she would need a grab handle on and A-pillar and there isn't one. Pretty dumb idea on dodges part by not putting them there.

OK lobitz68., I will check into the spring and it would make it handle better too, TY. silenze, I thought running board too but she would need a grab handle on and A-pillar and there isn't one. Pretty dumb idea on dodges part by not putting them there.

Possibly there is an air bag behind the A pillar trim. My Nitro had them there, and it did not have a grab handles there; only over the doors like my DJ.

This...

Likely the air bag is the reason. Also, with these being fairly low already, they really aren't needed by most. I think the big issue is how tall the seats are.

At the risk of sounding rude or insensitive... if it was my mother refusing to use a stool, I'd tell her to quit being obstinate and work with what we have, or stay home.

I had considered getting some kind of pet stairs for my dog since he has bum hind legs and would spend all day putting scratches into my rear fascia, but I find it easier to just pick him up and load/unload him into/from the cargo bay, rather than messing around with stairs while keep an excited 4-year-old 40-lb retriever at bay. If my mother really needed help and the stool wasn't working as well as it should, I'd look into aftermarket running boards.That's how she gets into my dads Tahoe. In lieu of the A-pillar handle, use the door panel. There is a metal support in the area of the door grab handle on all cars to help stabilize it, so unless your doors are about to rust through and fall off, that should be no problem.

That said, I'm surprised anyone has trouble getting in and out of the Journey. True, I drove my 300M Special (low to the ground sport sedan) all day yesterday, and found the seat height difference remarkable when I was moving the Journey around to get the M back into the garage. But, the Journey is based on a mid-size sedan platform and is usually the choice vehicle for people who had a hard time getting in and out of low sedans or high trucks. My mother is shrinking, and had no problems getting in and out of my Journey last August.

I checked with H&R springs and THEY DO NOT make spring that will work on a 2015 DJ, They do however make they for 2009-10 DJ. So I called the parts department at my local dodge dealer to check spring part numbers for the 09 and 15. Well the front springs are the same part # but the backs are not, so I would hate to take a chance, get the kit and the rears are just a little different in size and not work. So now does anyone know any other springs besides H&R for the 2015? I could go tire size to 215/55/17 and that would drop it a inch and a half. But wondering if it would look to weird. I agree with on the steps or stool, but have you ever tried to argue with an 84 year old crazy woman. I would rather have a root canal than argue with her.

My 2014 Crossroad has an obvious rake to it: higher in the back than front. May be the difference in the springs. Never really looked at another DJ. All I see are Nitros.

Edited by dhh3