Engine Oil Change Indication, Premature?

quarterwave

I have a 2014, 3.6.

Oil was changed at the dealer the first time, I changed the second time, indicator reset both times, now 2500 miles from the last change, the indicator is saying it needs changed again.

Does it work on miles only, or have an actual sensor, or both? A Chevy I had once had a viscosity sensor and it used that and mileage from the computer to determine it.

Thanks.

Edited by quarterwave

Also the number of cold starts, average run time and a whole bunch more. And, depending on where you live and how you drive and where you keep your vehicle, the number could well be reasonable.

Besides, oil changes are cheap and you can't change the oil too often, but you can let it go too long.

I think it also takes time into account. How long had it been since your last change (I know you said 2500 miles)? 2500 miles for some could be 6 months ago, others like me, 2500 miles could have been 1 month ago! If it was 6 months ago, then I would expect it to come up so you're not running really old oil.

Unless the oil has been in their for over a year 2500 miles is way too soon to change the oil especially if a synthetic was used. I would either reset or just go by mileage which is what I do but never pass the maximum allowed in the owners manual as you are under warranty.

Exactly what I do. Change my Mobil 1 every 5000 miles. The light is B S.

Thanks all. I am going to change it just for good measure and see what it does this time. I have a trip planned for May, so want to be sure there is not a problem. I am going to use a Chrysler spec synthetic, 5w-30 as everyone says 5w-30 is fine, they recommend 5w-20 which helped them meet a mileage # in testing.

The 2500 miles had been reached in about 9 weeks.

2500 is absurdly low. For now I'm following the light and owners manual. Owners manual states never to go beyond 10,000 miles, and my light last came on at 8,200 miles. Currently I'm at 12,100 miles, so I'm expecting the light to burn again in 4,000 miles, or around mid-August, at which time I'll bring it back to the dealer for the second oil change and tire rotation. Following the OM, car computer, and having it done at the dealer should protect me under warranty if anything goes wrong.

I took my Journey to 5k miles and then performed the first oil change with Mobil 1... the oil change indicator never came on. What gives?

Who changed the oil? What gives is the vehicle was not ready for an oil change yet. Which begs the question, why did you change the oil when it was not required?

Edited by jkeaton

Who changed the oil? What gives is the vehicle was not ready for an oil change yet. Which begs the question, why did you change the oil when it was not required?

Beacuase I've owned and maintained cars long enough to know that I don't want to drive past 5k miles on the break in oil from Dodge and wanted to get some clean Mobil 1 in there. I'm well over 5k miles now and still no oil change indicator and I didn't do the reset procedure on purpose to see if it would eventually pop up. Plus you do realize the oil life indicator is not 100% accurate as some here have already expressed with their indicators going off at 2500 miles with full synthetic in it.

Edited by Antdog24

They dont put break in oil in vehicles anymore. Change it whenever you feel like it and dont worry about the indicator then. I'm the same way. Change 5000 miles/6 months. Light has never come on. There's a bunch of threads on the subject and a bunch of different opinions. Do what makes you happy.

Edited by jkeaton

Beacuase I've owned and maintained cars long enough to know that I don't want to drive past 5k miles on the break in oil from Dodge and wanted to get some clean Mobil 1 in there. I'm well over 5k miles now and still no oil change indicator and I didn't do the reset procedure on purpose to see if it would eventually pop up. Plus you do realize the oil life indicator is not 100% accurate as some here have already expressed with their indicators going off at 2500 miles with full synthetic in it.

Don't use break in oil in modern Chrysler vehicles...