Or, disconnect to negative terminal on your battery for 15 minutes or so to reset the system. Do you have any buttons on your steering wheel? If not, it could be the clockspring. This is the metal piece inside the steering wheels that keeps electrical contact when you turn the wheel.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Had this same isue when I had a 2010. Was in shop 3 times. They replaced the computer and it still did it. Sometimes I would catch it as it was happening. Then I'd deliberately press the horn button on the steering wheel for a couple of seconds. It would then stop honking. Dealer declined to replace the st wheel horn button as it is an integral part of the airbag. Finally became so annoying that I traded it off for another vehicle with the problem still unresolved.

• 1 year later...

We eventually found the problem through a non Dodge mechanic & the problem was the horn plate was warped.  After years of this problem, our private mechanic found the issue, while the Dodge dealers couldn't & were totally useless.  I hope this saves you the ongoing pain & $$$ we had to endure.  Our model was the 2010, not sure if things have changed, but we had huge problems with the electronics in this car.

2 hours ago, Purpledove said:

We eventually found the problem through a non Dodge mechanic & the problem was the horn plate was warped.  After years of this problem, our private mechanic found the issue, while the Dodge dealers couldn't & were totally useless.  I hope this saves you the ongoing pain & $$$ we had to endure.  Our model was the 2010, not sure if things have changed, but we had huge problems with the electronics in this car.

Damn, I remember I had so many problems in my 2010! It was the reason I changed it, it was driving me crazy! My 2016 has been amazing.

11 hours ago, Purpledove said:

Awesome! Thank you for posting the fix.

I just spoke to my local Chrysler dealership and I am set up for an appt to get it diagnosed. They gave me the phone number to file a complaint as well. EVERY ONE needs to call 800 992 1997 to file a complaint. I spoke to Elizabeth who said there hasn't been any complaints about this issue. Have your Vin number handy when you call. Please call so we can get a recall issued and don't have to pay for this ourselves. Thank you.

*This is for 2010 Dodge Journey models*

Edited by Artist

21 hours ago, Artist said:

I just spoke to my local Chrysler dealership and I am set up for an appt to get it diagnosed. They gave me the phone number to file a complaint as well. EVERY ONE needs to call 800 992 1997 to file a complaint. I spoke to Elizabeth who said there hasn't been any complaints about this issue. Have your Vin number handy when you call. Please call so we can get a recall issued and don't have to pay for this ourselves. Thank you.

Never had an issue with either our 09 or our 2013. So, EVERY ONE does not need to call.

Edited by jkeaton

3 hours ago, Artist said:

My post was meant for people having an issue with their horn with 2010 model. If you dont have an issue with yours, than clearly you wouldn't call to make a complaint. 

Apparently not clearly enough.  ;)

Edited by jkeaton

On 2017-04-04 at 3:31 PM, Artist said:

Is there a recall for the horn not functioning properly?  My car horn started going nuts today which was horrible. I was at the doctor and people thought I was in distress or something was wrong. 

I wish I can let you know how hard I laughed ahhahahahahha!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is probably your keyfob itself not the  battery in it. I had the exact issue and I replaced the fob out of desperation due to the cost of having someone take the steering column apart. New fob = no more randomn horn activation. They seem to be good for a couple of years before the problem starts repeating itself.