2014 DJ shaking and stalling at 40 to 50 mph range

jayroc7113

I bought the 2014 DJ SXT with the 4 cyl. Last July brand new with less than a mile on it. We wanted the V6 but dealer didn't have one with the dvd system and larger stereo, so we sacrificed the engine size for the comforts for the kids. Had the DJ back at dealer at 100 miles for a glove box light staying on, not a big deal. It went back again at 1100 miles for a new glove box since the light was on again. At 1400 miles the engine light was on. Dealer said it was a small evap leak and figured gas cap was loose. At 2800 miles I began to notice the trans acting weird. When the vehicle was near a stop the trans would jerk and felt like we were rearended. Then when you took off from a stop there was no power. This seemed random and wasn't an all the time thing but I took it in nonetheless. Dealer said trans was fine and could not duplicate the issue. The issue continued and became more frequent. I then noticed driving at 65 mph if I let off the gas the car started to buck. It felt like I was pulling a trailer or something. At 3100 miles I took it back to the dealer. They drove it several hundred miles and said they felt the trans issues but could not do anything about it. They stated Dodge was planning to release a trans patch to reprogram the trans control module but since it was not out yet I had to keep driving the DJ. Over the next few months the issue became worse and the fuel mileage dropped to 10 mpg city and 14 mpg highway!! I went back to the dealer at 5600 miles and told them to do something with the car or keep the dang thing. A week later they gave it back saying nothing was wrong again! I took the DJ home and called Dodge. I was assigned a rep who negotiated the dealer taking the car back and also told me the trans patch had been out for 3 months!!! I was furious!!! The dealer took the car back and did the patch update then gave it back. After 75 miles the trans was doing the same thing again. I took it in again and they said it was normal. I told the guy he was crazy and threatened to drive the DJ through the showroom doors!!! I now have 6851 miles on the vehicle and they have yet to resolve the shaking in the trans. This is ridiculous!!!! I told the Dodge rep to either fix the car or buy it back.....he claims to have an answer by Tuesday. Not expecting a good outcome. Oh, we tried to trade the DJ in on a Durango but the dealer offered us 18k for it...far less than the 28k I paid 8 months ago. They refused to work any deals either! Has anyone had this issue resolved and if so....what corrected the problem?? I have no lights on or anything. Could driving it so long prior to the patch update have damaged the trans?? Dealer says it was a patch to correct the trans shift pressures so no damage could have been done.....wtf???

I would check your states lemon law. Keep taking it back with the same complaint. Make them write it up each time and keep your copies. Follow the lemon law directions. Doesn't cost you a cent. I did it with a steering issue I had with my Durango. Not only did I get $ back, they had to fix it and warranty for as long as I owned the car.

Welcome to the forum. Torque converter locking/unlocking when it is not supposed to? I think that 4 cylinder has a four speed transmission. Find the model number, and then google it. Everyone on every forum who has ever complained about this transmission will pop up. I have googled problems before and have been lead to posts that I made on other forums!

Just something you might want to try.

The 2.4L World Engine and the 4 speed were used in the Dodge Caliber

while it was being built/sold , a programming trick that I discovered while owning

one was as follows.

1.Put the ignition to RUN but DON'T start.

2.Counting to slowly to 10 depress the gas pedal slowly reaching fully depressed by 10.

3.Again counting to slowly release the gas pedal to full up/home position.

4.Turn ignition to OFF.

5.Wait 5 minutes start engine and see if power from stop has improved.

This may do nothing but it worked on a number of Calibers equipped with engine/tranny.

It was believe it set the learned acceleration pattern gas pedal calibration.

The Dodge rep asked that I continue to work with the same dealer since they knew the history on the vehicle best. He also stated that an engineer may travel to the area to better diagnose the issue and if that didn't work he said they would "come to a resolution"

Worst part of all is that if I try to trade it in I will be majorly upside down on the thing. Really wishing I never traded in my 1500 mega cab on this DJ!!!! Thanks for the add to the forum by the way...... please continue to send any ideas. I am passing them along to Dodge rep!!

Just something you might want to try.

The 2.4L World Engine and the 4 speed were used in the Dodge Caliber

while it was being built/sold , a programming trick that I discovered while owning

one was as follows.

1.Put the ignition to RUN but DON'T start.

2.Counting to slowly to 10 depress the gas pedal slowly reaching fully depressed by 10.

3.Again counting to slowly release the gas pedal to full up/home position.

4.Turn ignition to OFF.

5.Wait 5 minutes start engine and see if power from stop has improved.

This may do nothing but it worked on a number of Calibers equipped with engine/tranny.

It was believe it set the learned acceleration pattern gas pedal calibration.

The Nitro was like this too. This process recalibrates Electronic Throttle Control (ETC)

The dealership was finally able to duplicate the problem I am having. They claim it may not be in the transmission and said they really have no idea where the actual problem lies. They also stated they felt "slack" in the drivetrain but could not pinpoint it either. The technician described the shutter best when he said its like taking off in a vehicle with a manual transmission and having it in the wrong gear. That is precisely what its like!! The dealership said they are working with Dodge to get me into another vehicle (2015 Durango) and since I am financed through them the process should be easier. Guess I will wait and see.... really wish I knew what the heck is wrong with the DJ though....

The dealership was finally able to duplicate the problem I am having. They claim it may not be in the transmission and said they really have no idea where the actual problem lies. They also stated they felt "slack" in the drivetrain but could not pinpoint it either. The technician described the shutter best when he said its like taking off in a vehicle with a manual transmission and having it in the wrong gear. That is precisely what its like!! The dealership said they are working with Dodge to get me into another vehicle (2015 Durango) and since I am financed through them the process should be easier. Guess I will wait and see.... really wish I knew what the heck is wrong with the DJ though....

I love my DJ, but I'd take the Durango all day every day over it...

There has been a reported problem with the axels

not being torqued properly from the factory and

causing drivability problems.

You might suggest this to them.

I wouldn't suggest the day of the week to them! It's their job to figure it out. You have them replacing the car, take it and run, imo.

Got a call from my Dodge help rep late today. He said the dealership has requested assistance from "Dodge corporate resources" and that communications have been established with the dealership. He also stated the process should take a few days and that he would contact me again on Thursday. When I asked what that meant he was very vague and said the dealer acknowledges a problem exist in my DJ that they can not easily duplicate which makes it difficult to properly repair. The dealership claims to have followed all of the guidelines laid out by Dodge and the vehicle acted up again. After speaking to the service manager he claims that they have gotten the car to act up but could not find the culprit. He says he told the general manager to initiate the process of negotiations with Dodge to replace the DJ. We spoke about the process being easier since my lienholder is chrysler and have also discussed the Durango again. I guess we wait and see a little longer now. I suppose 7 visits to the service dept isn't too bad of an inconvenience if they upgrade me to the Durango. Even after all of this..... I am still a mopar man!

• 3 weeks later...

Update....

Today makes 30 straight days my DJ has been at the dealership. Two days ago I went up there and raised hell with the general manager and the service manager. They claimed they experienced the problem once or twice but couldn't diagnose it. Note...they only drove it 95 miles in 28 days!! They said they were waiting for the chrysler tech team to review CDI readings from the transmission. I left there irate and immediately called around to locate an attorney. Today I got a call from chrysler care rep Jacob. He tells me the tech team has reviewed the CDI reading and have determined that the overdrive clutch pack is operating out of parameters. He said the clutch was not smoothly engaging based on the reading and when it did engage it would not disengage entirely. Their plan of action is to dismantle the trans to replace all the overdrive components. Then they plan to drive it again and verify the CDI readings are in spec. Looks like I got a new car with a rebuilt trans at 6800 miles....when this is all said and done chrysler care claims they will compensate me for having to have the trans reworked....wont wait on that to happen lol. Anyone heard of this diagnosis before???

Back on Post #6, I mentioned the torque converter lock-up. This is a clutch which locks the engine and transmission together, to prevent slippage and thus give you better mpgs. When you start off, the transmission runs through the gears and then locks. If it locks up too soon, the car will buck: like driving a manual in too high a gear for the speed. Not engaging properly would cause a bucking sensation, and not engaging properly when you are coming to a stop would force the transmission to go from 4th to 1st; the sensation that you described as being rear ended. Having no power from a stop would indicate that the unlocking process had not occurred and you were actually starting in 4th. Driving at 65 and letting off the gas, it may have been trying to unlock when it shouldn't which would cause a buck. All of the overdrive components would entail a new 4th gear and related parts as well as the lock-up clutch. But because all of this has been going on for a long time, there could be premature wear and tear on the rest of the transmission. If it were me, I would demand a completely new transmission; not a rebuilt, but a new one.

Did they ever offer you a car to drive? Did the dealer offer you a rental? Why did they offer to compensate you? Something smells a little fishy here.

Go see the attorney. Usually there is no charge for the first visit. The compensation appears as a way out of any liability should something happen after your warranty expires.

Edited by dhh3

Your explanation makes more sense to me then the crap they claim lol. I have been in a rental vehicle every time mine is in the shop. The dealer claims all actions are being ordered by the tech team at chrysler. I thought it would be cheaper to replace the entire trans and converter than what they will pay ole jim bob to "rebuild" my brand new transmission. When I asked the chrysler care rep about it I told him I prefer they replace the dang thing. He says since the tech team has pinpointed 4th gear the manufacturer would only approve a repair to that gear. He said if the tech saw any other issues when he tears it down the decision could be made to replace the trans at that time. I told him I wasn't happy about that and that was when he said they would "compensate the depreciation to my vehicle." I am currently filing a claim through the nation center for dispute resolution as advised by a lawyer. If this 4th gear clutch basket repair does correct my problem chrysler better cover that trans for the life of the car at minimum.

The key words here are: what the tech sees! They need to be: what the tech measures with micrometers and go/no gages!

I went through something like this some years back, and the Second Shift Service Manager was fired. Needless to say, after 2 months, My Jeep Commander with Quadra Drive II had a completely new drive train, and it only cost me $100 (extended warranty) I pray that you make out as well.

• 8 years later...
On 3/20/2015 at 5:17 PM, dhh3 said:

Welcome to the forum. Torque converter locking/unlocking when it is not supposed to? I think that 4 cylinder has a four speed transmission. Find the model number, and then google it. Everyone on every forum who has ever complained about this transmission will pop up. I have googled problems before and have been lead to posts that I made on other forums!

I have the same issue with my 2014 DJ sxt it’s definitely the torque converter! I’ve broken my drive shaft 2 time and replaced the rear viscious. My DJ now is shuddering when I let off the gas and grinds really bad when I drive 

On 3/20/2015 at 5:17 PM, dhh3 said: