HID Upgrade

• 2 weeks later...

Reasoning, please. I know little about HIDs, and am somewhat familiar with projectors. Thank you

Simply because they produce a lot of glare for oncoming traffic. It is not "safe" and it is very annoying... Putting them in a properly tuned projector produces a very controlled and intense pattern that is focused where it will not blind oncoming traffic. The stock housing scatters light everywhere, which is not only not safe to other drivers, but it also does not produce the same quality of light for the driver of the vehicle that has them installed. The difference is so drastic that anyone who has ever had a properly set up pair of HID's in projectors could never go back to a crappy plug and play install. That being said, I'm not going to bag on people who do it... I just find it annoying and unsafe with no real benefit other than the "look" of a blue light (projectors create this blue appearance at certain angles using the shield that safely cuts off the light, not using a colored gas).

So, an HID bulb can reside in a projector housing, but they must be compatible with each other?

Do the 9005 and 9006 HIDs put out more light than Silverstars or Phillips? Are they worth the $?

Yes, you need a HID bulb that is made for the projector that you are using.

Yes they do, just a close guess but 9006 bulb is 1000 Lumens HID is around 3000 Lumens. All HID bulbs are around 3000 and up in lumens, no matter what the bulb is.

Legal projector HID bulbs are D1S,D2S,D2R,D3S,D4S, and I think H1 maybe. Everything else is Illegally made HID bulbs usually made in China.

I don't think there's that bad of scatter at all with the DJ stock light housing (not nearly as bad as some other cars I've seen). Many people on here have said they are impressed with the DJ HID cutoff with stock housings. I've driven in front with my wife driving the DJ following me home many a times. Lights aren't annoying at all...looks the same as any other HID setup out there in my opinion. It is not a hazard or blinding to other people.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to fit some projectors in there, but not everybody has several hundred bucks laying around or the time/knowledge to do the retrofit. I would always recommend people to put HID's in the stock DJ housings. You can't go wrong for $50!

I bought the HIDs from www.hidnation.com. It came with bulbs and slim ballasts. Everything is plug and play so if you don't like it just unplug it and go back to stock. As far a the glare, there is no nasty glare with these. DJ lens seem to project the light out well without it being harmful to others. A lot of people has asked me if it was stock because it looks nice.

I bought the HIDs from www.hidnation.com. It came with bulbs and slim ballasts. Everything is plug and play so if you don't like it just unplug it and go back to stock. As far a the glare, there is no nasty glare with these. DJ lens seem to project the light out well without it being harmful to others. A lot of people has asked me if it was stock because it looks nice.

Those do look pretty good. How " plug and play" are they? More than 20 mins install time per side?

Peace.

No I just did the low beams for now, in the future I will do the high and fog lights to match. There is actually a video on the web site to show you how to connect everything. Then it is as easy as changing out the old bulb. If you still need help I'll be more than happy to help you. I did it myself, this is my third vechicle doing this upgrade.

While I can agree that the stock headlight bowls on the DJ do not scatter as bad as some vehicles, there is still a ton of scatter. If you park facing a wall you will see a cutoff line, but the wall above the cutoff line will be well lit. Do the same thing with projectors and the wall above the line will be dark. There are only a few vehicles that have bowls designed for HID headlights, and those vehicles come with HID headlights. There is no way to effectively place an HID bulb in a halogen headlight bowl without scatter due to the fact that the "hot spot" on a halogen bulb is located in a different spot of the bulb (relative to the headlight bowl) than an HID bulb. The bowls are designed with that dimension in mind.

• 4 weeks later...

I Would like ot do the HID upgrade, Currently i have a 2012 DJ R/T.... And i am having one hell of a time finding the assembly with a projector in it... any leads or thoughts?

The only ones you will find pre-assembled are going to cost a pretty penny... north of $800. You can get all of the components yourself and build a set for much less. Probably $200-300 for a decent set up. Just as nice as the ones that are pre-assembled if not better. Or, you could contact a retrofitter and have them built for you. Once again, this is an expensive option.

The only ones you will find pre-assembled are going to cost a pretty penny... north of $800. You can get all of the components yourself and build a set for much less. Probably $200-300 for a decent set up. Just as nice as the ones that are pre-assembled if not better. Or, you could contact a retrofitter and have them built for you. Once again, this is an expensive option.

Where should i start to look for the componets, I am sure i could assemble them myself

Where should i start to look for the componets, I am sure i could assemble them myself

I buy everything from TheRetroFitSource.com... Great customer service, quality components and good prices. They even have a bargain bin where you can piece together stuff a little cheaper than if you bought everything pre-tuned.

EDIT: If you wait for a holiday, they usually have pretty good sales. Not sure if Easter is one that they usually do, but it may be worth asking before you place your order.

Edited by Lobitz68

I buy everything from TheRetroFitSource.com... Great customer service, quality components and good prices. They even have a bargain bin where you can piece together stuff a little cheaper than if you bought everything pre-tuned.

EDIT: If you wait for a holiday, they usually have pretty good sales. Not sure if Easter is one that they usually do, but it may be worth asking before you place your order.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Mini h1 fits nice! Md2s needs trimming on the bezels

Yeah, I have the MH1's and they were about as simple as you could imagine to put in... I will say that the permaseal headlights that Dodge uses are a bit of a pain (especially if you are new to retrofittting) and that it would be wise to get a set of TYC replacement lights... Best price I found, by a long shot, was on Rockauto.com.